• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

M46 differences?

Cwazywazy

Single jingle
I thought all 240 M46s were the same except for the overdrives.. Guess not. Swapping out my '86 M46 for an older model (not sure of year) with speedo drive and ran into an issue with the clutch fork.. The new trans came with one that I've never seen and when I put in the '86 fork it only has about half travel. I'm very confused. It looks like the '86 bell housing has more depth..

The new trans did come with a throwout bearing but it's wasted and I don't know if it would even work with my clutch.. (Dogdish M47 flyhweel)

KMMHuBJh.jpg

If you did everything correctly you shouldn't have problems.

AFAIK, there are only 3 bellhousings for all of the SOHC 4 cylinder engines that are for the M45 and M46.

These is an early bellhousing that only fits the early M45 and M46 with course spline input shafts made through 1978. The other 2 bellhousings fit the later M45 and M46 with fine spline input shafts and are basically the same. The only difference is whether the bellhousing has the notch at the top to go around the CPS sensor which is mounted on the back of the block.

I just swapped bell housings. Input shafts are the same but the top clutch fork in that pic only had about half travel in the new trans before I swapped housings.

The earlier style is better. Those later clutch arms are not as strong and can bend easier than the early ones. The throwout bearing is almost the same just the early version has guides to slip onto the the pins on the arm. Make sure you grease the splines and throwout bearing guide tube with high temp grease.

Last edited:
I'm installing an M46 from a diesel 240. There was a shim of some sort on the end of the input shaft, I got that off, and it seems the output flange is about a half inch shorter than it should be. If I'm correct I can just swap it out with a 28mm socket and an impact? Also the shifter is longer? But the output is shorter? I just wanna make sure there's no other differences that I haven't noticed.

7gezDOMh.jpg

7RHruY4h.jpg

p5Z4aY4h.jpg

Pilot bearing is different yes you'll need to remove that spacer / shim.

The flanges, cages and selector rods need to swap yes.

They both need to be J types however.

The speedo cable drive hole will need to be plugged.

Edit:

A dime filed down a little with a piece of rubber inner tube / EDPM pond liner inside the speedometer cable collar nut will be a good plug with readily available parts from the Volvo junk pile.

Last edited:
Pilot bearing is different yes you'll need to remove that spacer / shim.

The flanges, cages and selector rods need to swap yes.

They both need to be J types however.

The speedo cable drive hole will need to be plugged.

Edit:

A dime filed down a little with a piece of rubber inner tube / EDPM pond liner inside the speedometer cable collar nut will be a good plug with readily available parts from the Volvo junk pile.

Already removed shim, both type J, and I'm using a speedo cable. I'll find myself a 28mm socket tomorrow for the output. Manual diesels had a 3.56 rear end, right?

Aight, so just outta curiosity, the longer diesel shifter must mean the trans sits further forwards in a diesel? But whats with the different output flange?

THe diesel output flange looks like the smaller one is all. There are two different sizes on those. Smaller or bigger, but yeah they swap out. Also there is the guibo type and those swap out also.

I'm late to the party here, but I was under the impression that the dogdish clutch fork is different than the one used on the flat flywheels with the gas engines. I would imagine that the ones for a diesel flywheel may be different as well.

I've got a diesel (7-series) transmission at the shop. I should compare the fork from it to one from a flat flywheel.

Hey all trying to fit an early flat flywheel on my 88 240 with a 93 m47 and just ordered the taller release bearing because I put it all together with the 93 release bearing and fork and could not engage the early style pressure plate. This early style throwout bearing not only requires a different fork, but the bore is too small to fit over the sleeve it rides on pressed into the 93 bellhousing. I may be able to source an earlier style bell if needed but will it seal to the 93 gearbox if the shaft is slightly smaller or do I have to get a later style pressure plate and tap the flywheel for it?

Both of the T/O fork/bearing combo's should work with M47 and a flat flywheel/clutch.

Which clutch disc and pressure plate are you using?

There is only one size sleeve. Did they send you the wrong bearing?

Hey just got home and realized that on my early diesel m46 the sleeve is the exact same and that my old style fork does not fit this timken bearing 614028... many generic parts places list this throwout as for 1984 and earlier non b28 Volvo’s but there is no way it fits. Had a feeling it wouldn’t but I’ve never even seen a real picture of this bearing guess I need to give my head a shake and look harder and play the rock auto game smarter or not at all.

I stand corrected. V6 transmissions did use a different sleeve and T/O bearing. Diesel and 4 cylinder transmissions use the same one.

Back