• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Atom's Amazon Wagon Project Update Thread

I painted some old "American racing" vintage wheels (inside) with Hammerite to try and solve a mystery air leak. Didn't work but I bet you might have access to something to coat the insides?

Got room underneath for a wave termination pre muffler? Like FF from Portland did.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=5381348&highlight=exhaust#post5381348

When I'm better I'll be shooting you a text for a ride in that bad boy!

I know where the leaks are at. Right where some (previous) knucklehead thought he?d try to weld up a crack. His welds were so dirty that it?s leaking through the porosity. The problem I?m having is when I try to just partially dig out his weld and replace with my own I?m still getting his junk in my welds. I THINK I got the last of it. Dunk tank looked good. I?m gonna throw it on and see if it stays up.

I tried reading the article attached as to what the chamber does, but on my phone the pictures (figure references) don?t align well and I almost fell asleep reading it. I?ll have to try again from a desktop later. Traveling back to VA soon for work. I?ll have plenty of plane time to take another peek.

Got room underneath for a wave termination pre muffler?

So I read through the article on my desktop and it makes more sense, but I didn?t see any calculations for how large the chamber is suposed to be.

Vizard's exhaust science article has been around for a while. I don't think the Sunbeam chamber has much to do with muffling, but rather acts like (what Vizard calls a) pressure wave termination box - allowing pressure wave termination past the collector, so that eventual downstream exhaust components (muffler, piping, tail pipe length, etc.) placement and muffler style don't negatively impact upstream exhaust tuning. All this, as Vizard would say, for more effective chamber exhaust scavenging, which in turn helps pump up the intake side of things. Back in the day when I first read the Super Chevy article I had the same question you did - how much 'volume' is required in the term box? I reached out to Vizard at that time (it's been 10-15 years) and got a polite, but obscure response that seemed to point to volume of each box (V8 - 2 needed for dual system) needed to be equal to the cubic inch displacement of the engine - which took up a lot of unavailable real estate. So I gave up on it.

Given what you've shown us so far -- seems your focus should be on a muffler design that creates the sound quality you want without objectionable drone or flow limitations.

d045f9d16a3547aaf72254f373062562.jpg

So, since I needed to replace the radiator anyway, I figure it?s time to upgrade to the full width. That being said, I probably should?ve measured a full width before I made the core support. So, I trimmed and fit, trimmed and fit. I got it in place, but I realized I have no idea how the full width radiator mounts so I started making my own. I made a pair of floating mounts then poured silicone around them to create custom fit isolators. Next on the problem list is the late model hard coolant ?tube? that crosses behind the fan. The early timing cover doesn?t have the bosses to mount it. I pulled the cap, rotor and backing plate so I could see down in there, then drilled and tapped it to add a spacer/bolt. I also sanded/powder coated the tube and brackets. No ?sexy? pics today.

2417927dea56cff1e3ab5e3c3308e2ec.jpg
d3f95a9c14f50d8d7f2b881b4bc0ff6e.jpg
88ab757c8a130a3c3cb0b2fb5aab4410.jpg

Oh, I threaded the shifter stalk and added the copper shift knob.

58bd45d6896d02b4f6f04583d869b9b9.jpg

Got the full width radiator in. Added a couple new lower mounts that didn’t exist. Threw in some copper hard lines. Eventually there’ll be more copper accents in the bay.

5ff886f1825bb9cfba059558aded1812.jpg
5847b87e25aa457c7731da36bbc8c204.jpg

New radiator hoses and expansion tank are on my short list.

How was it set up? Header straight to aluminum tube? Was there a cat (I?m guessing not if it was a drift car). I?m thinking long tube header to flex coupler, then V band aluminum tube, then V-band to muffler. That should get me a solid 3? from the exhaust ports before I?m into aluminum.

Dimartinofab on IG, it was on his Lexus. Straight AL all the way from the header down, no cat and since he keeps the RPM's higher than most people would (drift car), it didn't last. But it sounded great when he had it.

I know it’s dumb, but I couldn’t resist freshening up something real quick. I like clean parts, plus the tabs were broken on the old one.

fd343f32d3756e3652f7beb556904c7a.jpg
8a603c9d8e023010fa26ab7cee7ce908.jpg

Back