• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Tow hitch hardware - Spacers

DStarratt

I pulled a tow hitch from a 240 last weekend. I got the four small bolts and the two large bolts out then removed the hitch. I see there are spacers in the holes that the large bolts went through. I'm sure I need them but cant see how they come out. Any help my is appreciated. Thanks.

In my experience those are kinda crushed in there, maybe part of the construction, not meant to come out? or maybe crushed in from torquing the hitch bolts, but either way, I never needed the sleeves that came with the hardware for the hitch, because my car had the same sleeves already in the frame.

Thanks. My wagon doesn?t have the sleeves so im thinking they are not in the production process. I guess they could be crushed in with the torquing of the bolts. Has anyone ever removed them? How? I tried ponding with a hammer and screwdriver on 2 cars with no luck.

That makes sense. The two cars with stuck spacers are early 240s. I'll find some steel spacers at my local hardware store. Thanks!

Update: I went back to th JY today to see about prying out the sleeves and what do you know? They were welded to the bumper shocks. A couple bolts hold each bumper shock to the body/frame. I removed the bolts, slid out the bumper shocks and voila, the spacers are at the ends. This was an early 240. Later models may be different.

How necessary are the spacers for operation?
Can they be left out or is that a bad idea if using the tow hitch?
Hitch currently installed without spacers on an '82 wagon.

Back