• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New 240 owner here

lego

Hey everyone! I recently got into the game with a white 1988 Volvo 240. It's a single owner car. Has over 200k on it but the odometer isn't working. It's not in the greatest condition but it's pretty straight. Everything made of rubber on the car is shot, except the tires surprisingly. All the plastic inside is broken too.

Here's a pic of it in my garage:

lUhMysY.jpg

All I've done so far is get some tires (Falken Azenis) and give it tune up. I have a 1987 BMW 325is that I need to sell before I can really start working on this car. I'm really excited to start working on the Volvo though! I love it so far even though it needs a lot of maintenance. My first project will be to do a manual swap. I've been looking for a T5 transmission but they are proving to be more expensive than I thought they would be... so I might just end up getting an M46 transmission instead, but I'll see what happens.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi! :)

Welcome. Crap, I thought you had a new 240 not that it was new to you! Oh well. Spend your money wisely or else you will spend your money frequently.

Read, re-read and search for more threads to get ideas. Lots of good stuff located between the opinions.

Just curious. You say you started with a "tune-up". Just want constitutes a "tune-up" on your first 30 year old 240? :omg:

Im in jurupa, let me know if you need anything.

Also: I'm already on the sidelines salivating when this project falls through after 18 months on jackstands

Just curious. You say you started with a "tune-up". Just want constitutes a "tune-up" on your first 30 year old 240? :omg:
Cut the springs, +T, 5% tint all the windows, 16" bbs replicas on 35mm spacers, straight pipe,25psi on stock skinny rods,nib ski racks, cone air filter out the grill.

OP only 4 minutes away from all the Kool-Aid they can handle, flathoods, grilles, jurbos.

Welcome! Give it a solid Stage 0, before you start tossing money into upgrades.
Stage 0 includes:
-All bushings(don't do poly on the Trailing Arm Bushings aka TABs)
-Ball joints
-Fuel filter
-Air filter
-Clean MAF
-Cap, rotor, wires, plugs
-Oil change(NO FRAM. Use Mann, Motorcraft or Volvo)
-Transmission fluid service
-Rear diff service
-Replace power steering fluid(you'd be surprised)
-Cooling system service

While you're doing all of that, take some time and inspect the rest of the chassis and car. If the rear shocks look like they need replacement, do them too. If they're shot, chances the front shocks are too. Since you don't have plans for suspension yet, get some decent, inexpensive shocks and call it a day. These cars ride so nice with a refreshed suspension. Once you get this all done, then you can focus on getting it cleaned up and less tired looking as the car will be far more reliable now.

Welcome! Give it a solid Stage 0, before you start tossing money into upgrades.
Stage 0 includes:
-All bushings(don't do poly on the Trailing Arm Bushings aka TABs)
-Ball joints
-Fuel filter
-Air filter
-Clean MAF
-Cap, rotor, wires, plugs
-Oil change(NO FRAM. Use Mann, Motorcraft or Volvo)
-Transmission fluid service
-Rear diff service
-Replace power steering fluid(you'd be surprised)
-Cooling system service

While you're doing all of that, take some time and inspect the rest of the chassis and car. If the rear shocks look like they need replacement, do them too. If they're shot, chances the front shocks are too. Since you don't have plans for suspension yet, get some decent, inexpensive shocks and call it a day. These cars ride so nice with a refreshed suspension. Once you get this all done, then you can focus on getting it cleaned up and less tired looking as the car will be far more reliable now.

^^^
Plus, if I were to throw out a suggestion, which I am, I would get a spare fuel pump relay and put it in the glove box and also remove, clean and then replace with new, all of the fuses in that dastardly panel down where dirt, moisture and everything else gathers around those fuses. ;-)

Last edited:
When I say tune up I mean getting the engine running right, lol. So far I did an oil change (yes I did use a Mann filter :cool:) spark plugs, air filter, distributor cap/rotor, and I tried doing the wires but the ones I got from FCP Euro were damaged so I'm waiting for a replacement.

Also did the fuel filter which was so restricted I don't know how the car even ran. When I was changing the fuel filter I noticed the car seemed to have a rubber undercoating (???). Is that from the factory? I had to scrape the rubber from the screw head just to undo the fuel line clamp. At first the screw looked like a rivet with all the rubber on it.

I noticed the temp gauge having a tough time getting halfway and staying there so I will change the thermostat and that should fix that.

And I did end up getting a T5, also the guy threw in the driveshaft so I might as well go with that.

I topped off the transmission fluid (the dipstick was dry when I did the fluid level checking procedure). I just hope it runs well enough until I'm ready to swap it out.

So far I'm really enjoying the car! The seats are way more comfy than I expected.

Next I'll need to continue with the thermostat and flushing all the remaining fluids. I noticed the rotors are warped but there's plenty of pad material so I'll hold off on that for now. All this is going on while I try to sell my BMW and research what I need for the T5 swap.

I'll go and get me a spare fuel pump relay and fuses, thanks for the suggestion Centsableone.

When can I see this racecar 244 in person?

All I can say is... Soon lol. But it's not really a race car.. yet. I really need to get rid of my BMW. We just got 2 new roommates and there's no space in the garage :-(

Back