• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What battery can be used instead of the Group 47 ?

89_740Turbo

Just incase I can't find anywhere that has a group 47 battery in stock, what other battery can be used that will still work?

I know the terminal sizes have different diameters, so just want to know! Thanks

Group 47 is fairly common with a lot of different models from different mfgs using that size. I think you'll be fine with the sheer number of auto parts stores that are likely within a 10 minute drive of anywhere in the central Jersey area.

For your reference, http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm

From past threads, it seems that people used group 24F, 48, 58R for a few examples of other sizes.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I got some type of truck battery with a higher cold cranking amp from O'Riley. When I'm home from work I'll look it up.

Group 47 is fairly common with a lot of different models from different mfgs using that size. I think you'll be fine with the sheer number of auto parts stores that are likely within a 10 minute drive of anywhere in the central Jersey area.

For your reference, http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm

From past threads, it seems that people used group 24F, 48, 58R for a few examples of other sizes.

The only reason I ask is because where the car is stored, it's in a fairly remote location and the closest store with batteries is Walmart lol I went to 2 up there and neither had group 47

i found just get a battery with the same amount of cold cranking amps they dont make the stock battery anymore.

i found just get a battery with the same amount of cold cranking amps they dont make the stock battery anymore.

the problem is with the terminal sizes. some are 1/18 others are 2/18. there aren't many places with group 47 and for purpose of convince, going to Walmart and buying a battery from there is the easiest thing for me to do right now.

the car is stored in a garage up in the mountains of NY, so its quite literally in the middle of nowhere hahaha that's why I made this thread because a Walmart is the best thing they have within a hours drive to get a battery.

and speaking of, I don't think I've seen more classic cars anywhere else, not even in central NJ. when I'm up there to visit my girlfriend, I always without fail will find tons of different classic cars parked in driveways or sitting in soemones backyard. all kinds! 50's caddys, 60's cars, Buick's, old land rovers, old jeeps, 50's pick-up trucks, whatever. they are all over the place in the upper ny mountain areas

I'd call around to the closest stores and check who has what stock before you go. A half hour each way isn't so bad if you know the right part is waiting on the other end.

Or, buy one near you and bring it up next time you visit.

Or order the correct, NOS, OEM battery from here for ~$40 shipped? https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Volvo/Battery/1166367/9128531.html

Who knows how long it will last, but it's a dealership battery for cheap.

Most any car battery will work if it fits in the hole and the positive side terminal is on the correct side. Man O man.. Like I said group 24 the most common car battery ever made..

As far as amps, I've started volvo's with a lawn traktor battery before..

When I looked at the listing for the extremely affordable volvo battery. It read no shipping local pickup. So, that is probably the caveat to get you in the door and then not have one in stock. But they do have this other battery in stock that will work. Lol.

Last edited:
Group 40-R battery meant for a Ford in my 88 765. 11 inch long battery without end mounting lugs or carrying handle.

Volvo battery has reversed terminals (the R in 40R), same as Ford.

I'd call around to the closest stores and check who has what stock before you go. A half hour each way isn't so bad if you know the right part is waiting on the other end.

Or, buy one near you and bring it up next time you visit.

Or order the correct, NOS, OEM battery from here for ~$40 shipped? https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Volvo/Battery/1166367/9128531.html

Who knows how long it will last, but it's a dealership battery for cheap.

Is this legit? Maybe they are crap because they are NOS and been sitting around? That is a steal if real...

Back