• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Converting to E85 (ethanol fuel)

No point in testing when I only have choice of one station

Even from the same station ethanol content can vary quite a bit. A 10% shift in ethanol content, which isn't uncommon, affects the stoichiometry by the same percentage. This isn't as big of a deal for the LH2.4 crowd since lambda corrections are applied globally. It becomes a concernt when running a fixed open loop output where a 10% shift in stoichiometry is the difference in running too lean/rich.

Been on a single Walbro for a few years now, so I've got enough to supply the injectors. Stock pumps are undersized for that injector size, especially if you're on E85.

I've been running straight E85 for 6 months or so now.

Ahh I didn't know you were on a single walbro. I will have to plan on getting one. But have to deal for now.
thanks for the info.

You're kinda SOL until you get enough fuel to feed the injectors, regardless of pressure. Lines won't be an issue for the time being, but the volume certainly will.

$100 for the Mustang pump drop-in upgrade.

You're kinda SOL until you get enough fuel to feed the injectors, regardless of pressure. Lines won't be an issue for the time being, but the volume certainly will.

When I ran an 8-1 ratio of e85 and gas it was plenty of fuel. 11.5 all the way till redline. I guess I will do that untill I get a pump.

You probably weren't nearing the high end of the fuel requirements on a partial mix, though you were likely close to the limitations of the pump at that point. Add on the requirement for more fuel on straight e85 and you may have surpassed that pump limit.

earthhug.gif

is the stock mustang pump a walbro.

just simply swapping pumps is not gonna fix anything, i tried and failed, swap pumps and upgrade the wiring to w bigger gauge to see real improvement

just simply swapping pumps is not gonna fix anything, i tried and failed, swap pumps and upgrade the wiring to w bigger gauge to see real improvement

Eh?? Bumped up the wiring inside the tank, running the stock wiring for the rest of the car. Voltage at the sender connector is within .2v of battery voltage at high load, fuel pressure hasn't been an issue to 20psi on mine. Stock pump was 3-4a nominal, walbro is 8-10 max at full pressure which these cars will never see (hopefully).

As for Koston's question, depending on where you get the pump, may be a walbro. The Airtex E2366 (I believe, the specific number is around multiple threads, I just don't remember off-hand), is a Walbro, only downfall is it doesn't have a check valve in it like the stock pump. It's not an issue on LH2.4 or any system that primes, but 2.2 doesn't prime prior to cranking.

Interesting read.

Trying to decipher out of the original posts just what I need to calibrate my fuel maps to for use of E85. What seems to be stated time again is a 42% increase in injector (size? flow?)

Running ME4.4, laptop programmable fuel, ign & WOT maps.

I can calibrate my main fuel map for any injector size, currently 650cc (@ 3 bar, approx 710cc @ the 3.8bar I'm running now), I can adjust regulated pressure.

Running 20psi (PTE6262) boost I'm hitting over 85% duty cycle on my setup, so I'll need larger injectors to run the same boost level?

Tuning should shoot for AFR .85? I'm tuning for AFR 12.5 with gasoline. I can calibrate a data gauge in Innovate for Ethanol - AEM gives a chart to scale from, but it just says Ethanol, doesn't specify E100, E85, etc... also I should switch the WB02 for Lambda display for more accurate tuning ?

When calibrating for idle/cruise, I'm shooting for 9.0:1 correct?

Any current tips or suggestions from those with experience?

Last edited:
Have any of you longer-term E85 users experienced any adverse side effects? Has anyone changed to different oil or do more frequent changes with E85? Seems to be a recognized need (more OCs) when using it, from what I've read around the web.

i have been running nothing other than e85 alcohol for about three years. only thing observed as a negative is what was already observed is the carbon gum buildup on the valves and injector tips. running fuel system cleaner is a neccessity, from what i have observed. i run a bottle of redline fuel system cleaner every oil change. no problem.

the gum buildup is the only issue.

i have been running nothing other than e85 alcohol for about three years. only thing observed as a negative is what was already observed is the carbon gum buildup on the valves and injector tips. running fuel system cleaner is a neccessity, from what i have observed. i run a bottle of redline fuel system cleaner every oil change. no problem.

the gum buildup is the only issue.

Or you could just run some chevron 91/93oct fuel every 3-4 tanks add 1-2 gal of normal pump and that helps also.

based on my morning cold-start condition, where the engine is difficult to fire, i was considering a dry nitrous induction setup for aiding cold-start engine start. nozzle install past the throttle body...perhaps at the cold-start valve location or egr port location. any dangers of unwanted ignition and /or explosive results?

Did a before and after dyno and saw 25WHP gain (8WTQ) with just 30% E85 / 70% 91 octane petrol. Car runs fantastic with that blend. Any greater E85 proportion, though, and get a CEL for lean. Also, the intercooler weep hole seems more active (more discharge).

Last edited:
Back