• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Electric Power Assist Steering?

SLO240

Awesome Sauce
After replacing two hydraulic rebuilt racks I have not been happy with them. They have both feel like they have worn out and became loose and shaky in months rather than years. All major manufacturers are going to the EPAS system. And I like the way my wifes Mazda3 feels. Purist arguments aside, has anyone converted their volvo or any car for that matter and is willing to share anecdotes or tips from their experience. I like the idea of a new rack all together rather than a retrofit solution that uses the old rack.

I have had 4 racks in my '82 and noticed a few days ago the one of the bellows is dripping so I would be interested in following along with any conversion efforts.

Between mounting and 'throw' of the replacement rack I can foresee a few issues but an interesting concept.

Between mounting and 'throw' of the replacement rack I can foresee a few issues but an interesting concept.
Mounting for sure, most cars are of similar width, so besides adjusting mounting bits should it be that different?

I know there are different ways to control the system, like torsion sensors, all electronics in the rack, motors near the steering wheel and many more, educate me.

Cheers

The Saturn Vue electric assist column is really popular in the Motorsports world. A controller for it is about $70, available on eBay.

Most folks doing this -- a lot are -- are using something like the Saturn or Prius column mounted motors. Basically the steering column gets replaced with a unit that has an electric motor that provides the assist --- the stock Volvo rack would stay where it's at -- plug the fluid lines or switch to a manual unit (much slower though). A bunch of good info here - including part numbers for the units and the control units.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/general-mustang-tech/2321889-$35-electric-power-steering-fail-safe-no-ebay-module-no-caster-issues.html

This won't solve anything for a rack that won't keep at least some of its fluid inside to lube things.

Most folks doing this -- a lot are -- are using something like the Saturn or Prius column mounted motors. Basically the steering column gets replaced with a unit that has an electric motor that provides the assist --- the stock Volvo rack would stay where it's at -- plug the fluid lines or switch to a manual unit (much slower though). A bunch of good info here - including part numbers for the units and the control units.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/general-mustang-tech/2321889-$35-electric-power-steering-fail-safe-no-ebay-module-no-caster-issues.html

This won't solve anything for a rack that won't keep at least some of its fluid inside to lube things.

I like the idea of the Prius/Toyota/whatever Japanese car electric assist. It seems everyone runs the computers with no speed signal, and that's why they have weird centering issues at speed. I wonder what kind of speed signal the steering computer wants, and whether it'd be possible to adapt the tone ring signal from an electric speedo car.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/general-mustang-tech/2321889-$35-electric-power-steering-fail-safe-no-ebay-module-no-caster-issues.

Great link read it once already. I remeber reading about the Vue option years ago. Less ideal since saturn went out of business. I will continue research and hopefully implecation and report back..

Saturn vue is made by koyo Japan same as a bunch of other japanese cars iirc.

They work really nicely in vintage cars.

Would pair well with a zf 2.5 turn manual rack (couple guys sold the 2.5 turn guts for that rack here).

Though the cam manual racks (common one) are ****, flimsy, mostly worn out and like 5 turns lock-lock :rofl:

That said you could maybe find better core ZF power racks (no worn gears anyway) and send them to a better rebuilder but it isn't "free" or tb $39.99 cheap.

Obviously BNE sells "luxe steer," but unless you have no intention of lowering your car, he'd probably be competing with himself otherwise to sell the adaptation bits for the Saturn koyo column (most other Japanese cars and others the electric stuff is built into the rack, hence using the Saturn for more universal adaptation). On the other hand, eliminating a fluid and wear parts and freeing up engine bay space is never horrible.
Labor intensive trying to cram it under the dash there, but there's room.

Last edited:
I have BNE's Luxe steer and maybe that is part of the problem. It made it noticeably easier to to turn the wheel without power steering. And with it... Well I do have a small Momo wheel and have not had a problem besides the loose feeling racks. The reason I blame the racks is that they have felt great when I first install them, but it goes downhill from there.

Back