• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

93 940 turbo gas gauge fix Q

Hey fellow TBers, I had a question.
I couldn't find a definitive answer on the interwebs for fixing my intermittent gas gauge issue. It works and reads correctly, but sometimes I have to slap the dash to get it to work. I'd like to just do a full fix to save me from having to bang the dash periodically. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Or try a new guage and/or cluster. Those junkyard glory days are over so best learn to repair stuff like this now!

Right here.

I've probably fix 20 clusters that have the same issue. The 940 I had delivered today from an auction has this issue. It showed up reading empty of fuel. 4-5 good whacks on the top of the dash and all of a sudden it has 3/4 of a tank of fuel. This is as common as it gets with the 1991-1994 7-9 instrument clusters.

My 1990 740 does this too. Though I only have to very lightly tap above it for it to come back up, and it fixes itself first try every time.

I redid most of the solder joints on my cluster. When I bought the car the fuel gauge didn't work and I figured I wouldn't take any chances with other ones failing. It's not so bad in terms of tight spaces just make sure your work surfaces (iron and board) are clean, you use the right size solder, and apply heat appropriately.

I know this is kinda late, But just an update: Soldering the connections fixed it! Happily knowing when i need to fill up gas now! Thanks everyone

Back