• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kyle's orphan 220 amazon wagon

In other news last night I went out there to do some minor things and the car pissed brake fluid all over the floor randomly from the LR caliper. It seems to be coming from the line fitting. I did all those flares, but idk why it would be fine for a year and then overnight randomly decide nah, I'm gonna leak everywhere.

In other news last night I went out there to do some minor things and the car pissed brake fluid all over the floor randomly from the LR caliper. It seems to be coming from the line fitting. I did all those flares, but idk why it would be fine for a year and then overnight randomly decide nah, I'm gonna leak everywhere.

Because Volvo.

I assessed the brake line situation tonight. It's leaking at the fitting and I tightened it up as much as I'm comfortable with, still leaks. So I guess I'll have to re-flare that line.

I was however successful replacing my flex joint. I'm honestly not super surprised it failed, as I robbed it off of an old 850 header that had been laying around and it was original '95 vintage. It had a slight leak for a while now and going home from work I drug it over a massive lip on some road construction. It was officially game over after that.

hU9cefy.jpg

Patched up, good as new.

0HZmCw6.jpg

I did however tune my idle while it was leaking so now that's jacked, but it's an easy fix to lean it back out.

No pictures to show but I got the leaking brake line fixed. I bled everything again with the pressure bleeder and it still pulls to the left under hard braking. All lines, hoses, and calipers are new. I'm really at a loss as to what it could be. The front calipers are split at a tee off the master and that's it. There's nothing there to restrict it.

The only thing I can think is one of the re-manufactured calipers is meh, but the pistons don't stick or anything so I really don't think that's it.

No pictures to show but I got the leaking brake line fixed. I bled everything again with the pressure bleeder and it still pulls to the left under hard braking. All lines, hoses, and calipers are new. I'm really at a loss as to what it could be. The front calipers are split at a tee off the master and that's it. There's nothing there to restrict it.

The only thing I can think is one of the re-manufactured calipers is meh, but the pistons don't stick or anything so I really don't think that's it.

Do the pads need/can they be shimmed? You could shim the right side to bring the pad closer to the rotor. I wonder if that would balance it?

I don't think there's room for that, or that it would have any effect. It has to come down to pressure difference from side to side. What I can't figure out is what would cause there to be less pressure from one side to another when both lines are tee'd off of the same master. That's just not how things are supposed to work.

I should say that everything in the front end is tight, no play. Alignment is laser straight.

Do the rx7 calipers have ports that bridge the two halves of the caliper? Maybe they were reassembled wrong and those ports don't line up?

Quickest way to test if it's the caliper would be to swap them left to right, re bleed and see if it stays with the one caliper.
Then, once you've isolated the problem you could disassemble the caliper and look for internal issues.

I just wouldn't take it apart till I knew 100% that it was the caliper, personally.

I beat the ever living **** out of this thing this weekend at mountain meet and it took it all without complaint. 100% surprised that it actually mostly handles. It would benefit from some new front geometry and a better steering setup so that's going to be put in the long term plan. The car pushes in low speed corners a lot more than I'd like and it takes too much steering effort.

It smokes a bit after long (like a mile?) deceleration, but I'm really not concerned about it. The trans is also making a rather spooky noise sometimes when shifting into any gear, I'll have to investigate that.

I've also decided the engine mounts are too stiff for what I want. Needs more street car, less race car. I'll see if I can fit the 850 style fluid mounts in there, everything inside buzzes on the highway. I have some concern about the tight clearances in the engine bay but I'll figure it out. It's also still too loud on the highway. Better than before, but my ears were ringing when I got home. I've got a big TME resonator I may be able to fit, I'll start with that. There is exactly zero room under this thing for another muffler.

Gas station --> right hand corner --> delicate boquet of gas.

I can't say anything about the smoking on *long* deccel - my LS was doing it too. Only after getting most of the way down that really long hill, but it started fogging for mosquitoes too.

Back