• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Longevity of Moog Springs / Bumpy Ride

Rusty_ratchet

1985 Volvo 244

About 10 months / 12 k miles ago I replaced my rear springs with Moog CC215 springs. About 3 months / 3k miles ago I replaced my rear shocks with Bilstein HD shocks. Over the past few months it has felt like there is progressively less shock absorption in the rear. I need to go over speed bumps slowly otherwise it feels like the car really drops. It feels like it is the result of the spring, not the shock (there is no residual bouncing). My suspicion is that the Moog springs might be going bad. Has anyone else had this experience and found the springs to not last very long?

I'm not sure the billy hd shocks we get today are the same beasts they were years ago. I've also blown one out on an unlowered car with new stock rate springs.

I need to go over speed bumps slowly otherwise it feels like the car really drops. It feels like it is the result of the spring, not the shock (there is no residual bouncing). My suspicion is that the Moog springs might be going bad. Has anyone else had this experience and found the springs to not last very long?

it's the shocks, I had the same thing happen on speed bumps with rear Bilstein HDs, replaced them with Konis and all good now

I just checked one side. I removed the shock from the car and it was fine. It had plenty of resistance pushing it down, and rebounded as expected.

from Anthony Hyde's Volvo pages...

"Bilstein rear shocks are strong when it comes to controling big movements, but this is not typical of road or good track surfaces. In my opinion, the valving on rear Bilsteins seems better suited for use as a rally shock than a road shock. For general road use, myself and others find them stiff in short stroke compression - meaning they bang over the bumps. Expensive re-valving is the answer, In words ask for - softer on compression, firmer on rebound. See link to Dave Bartons's figures at end of his article."

LINK

"Bilstein rear shocks are strong when it comes to controling big movements, but this is not typical of road or good track surfaces. In my opinion, the valving on rear Bilsteins seems better suited for use as a rally shock than a road shock. For general road use, myself and others find them stiff in short stroke compression - meaning they bang over the bumps. Expensive re-valving is the answer, In words ask for - softer on compression, firmer on rebound. See link to Dave Bartons's figures at end of his article."

LINK

Is it still reasonable to use Bilstin HD for the front?

LINK

Is it still reasonable to use Bilstin HD for the front?

t-dot performance in Canada sells several valvings for bilstein struts at close to the same price as standard ones. They used to list other valving rear shocks as well, like 6 months ago. Might want to fire them an email, Or get Gaz from yoshi or Konis

Back