• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 how do you tall people deal with the rear view mirror?

sloopy

2-digit whp
The rear view mirror is straight up at eye level for me and I have to duck my head down to see around it sometimes. I've been wondering about somehow replacing the mirror with a window mounted unit and mounting it higher. The other option is bucket seats and dropping my butt closer to the floor. That would allow me to see the traffic lights without ducking my head down too. Do y'all just deal with it or what?

Recline the seat? I am not the really tall guy, I just work with him.

I bought a Porsche 944 from a really tall guy once, he just redrilled the seat rail holes a few inches back.

I have the back of the seat all the way down and the front of the seat all the way up like I do in every car. My legs and arms are at comfortable distances to the pedals and steering wheel so reclining would be a tradeoff. I'm not super tall. Just under 6'1", but I'm all torso.

Blown out seats are the only way for me. I recently had some seats refurb’d and I sit about 2-3” higher.

I have the back of the seat all the way down and the front of the seat all the way up like I do in every car. My legs and arms are at comfortable distances to the pedals and steering wheel so reclining would be a tradeoff. I'm not super tall. Just under 6'1", but I'm all torso.

I have wondered but not examined the idea of moving the rails mounts back an 1-2",..if it's even a possibility on a 240, but I assume this has been covered on here (?)

:oops:

The rear view mirror is straight up at eye level for me and I have to duck my head down to see around it sometimes.

This "ounce of problem" seems not to require the necessary "pound of cure."

My advice: live with it.

Getting rid of a rear view mirror and relying solely on side mirrors will compromise your customary field of view.

Your car, you can do what you want, but this simply seems unnecessary.

This "ounce of problem" seems not to require the necessary "pound of cure."

My advice: live with it.

Getting rid of a rear view mirror and relying solely on side mirrors will compromise your customary field of view.

Your car, you can do what you want, but this simply seems unnecessary.

Lol.

I get rid of the center mirror if it's in my way. I've driven large trucks and delivery vans for years and they typically don't even have windows you can see out of much less a rear view mirror. If you get used to using just the side mirrors it's all you ever tend to use.

Here in Texas you are only required to have 2 mirrors. It could be any combination of inside or outside, but you only need 2 to be legal.

Interesting you say that robert. I recently sat in a vinyl seat where the bottom was blown out and I actually liked the seating position and how it felt like I was inside the seat and not sitting on top of it like I'm driving a school bus. Now who knows how comfortable it would have been for long periods, but it got me thinking.

And yes, harry, you're right. My legs are not much longer than average and I like to sit close to the pedals so I actually have my seat scooted just about dead center in the adjustment range.

I was never suggesting removing the rear view mirror. But if I could get this thing mounted higher, that would really help. I know the sedan mirror is different. I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right pictures from my searching, but it looks like it has two ball sockets for adjustment; one at the mirror, and one at the mount. I wonder if it's feasible to mount it up. I'm also trying to mount a mobius mini action cam, a valentine one radar detector, and an icom ic-2730a two way radio in this area.

I leaned my seat back and it feels really good. My eyes are a solid inch below the mirror and I can see better. I'm staring right at the b pillar if I look left, but I can deal with that.

Lol, I remember you liked the feel of my blown out seat cushion. I’d be happy to hand it over once I replace it.

There should be 3 different bolt hole locations for the rails, make sure you are putting the seat at the lowest position. I am 6' 3" and never had a problem although I have never sat in a proper rebuilt seat either.

If the car has a sunroof, put a rearview mirror ahead of the sunroof hole? Half-joking here: I think the late Countachs had something like that (more like a periscope)

I'm 6' tall never had a rear view mirror issue, The seat tracks are full down in the rear full up in the front, and as far back as they will go. One of the reasons that I made my 78 wagon a 2 door was so that I could look left without seeing the B pillar.

As a 6'6" dude, let me tell you brother...
I made some brackets out of 2x1/4" flat bar and can't believe I waited this long to do it.
The wagonmeister brackets are hokey AF, and not something I would trust in a crash.
Mine bolt in to the floor pan also at the rear, overkill, but it's your seats, man!
Do it and don't look back!
Only bad side is there is no more room for a passengar behind you, which I solved by removing the rear seat in the 245 and making a cargo deck, YMMV!

As a 6'6" dude, let me tell you brother...
I made some brackets out of 2x1/4" flat bar and can't believe I waited this long to do it.
The wagonmeister brackets are hokey AF, and not something I would trust in a crash.
Mine bolt in to the floor pan also at the rear, overkill, but it's your seats, man!
Do it and don't look back!
Only bad side is there is no more room for a passengar behind you, which I solved by removing the rear seat in the 245 and making a cargo deck, YMMV!

Huh interesting...my issue with using the cargo feature on the 245, is having to put driver's seat angle up and/or move seat up a notch(annoying). I assume if you remove the rear seat, you need to place some foam or whatnot to help level out/support the cargo board ?

:-P

I've heard that the 262c Bertone seat brackets are shorter to accommodate the chopped top. Can anyone confirm this? Could be a viable option for some of the more "gifted" 240 drivers...

Back