• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 What oil do you recommend?

Elvolvito

I?m doing the oil change on my ?88 244 for the first time & I?d like to know what oil you guys would recommend? Not sure if this is relevant, but I live in FL, so it?s pretty warm all year round.

I use Mobil 1 15/50 in all of our Volvo's , Valvoline VR 1 racing oil {high in zinc}in our 1960 S2 Bentley.I am breaking in the new motor in my 1961 MK1 MG Midget on VR 1, will switch to Mobil 1 once it is broken in. My wife's 90 240 wagon now has 600K miles on it we have had it for 20 years always used Mobile 1. BTW how many mile on your car?

Rotella T4 15W40, it's what redblocks crave. At 12 bucks or so for a gallon at Walmart, plus a Mann filter bought in bulk, under $20 bucks an oil change.

The heavier oils recommended here are probably better especially given the warmer climate, but I've always run 10w30. Usually Valvoline, M1, or Castrol.

Chemistry has changed over the years. I used to score good full synthetic at 5w-30 for not much. Florida, eh. It depends on vehicle usage. Heavier weight might be warranted. Except winter. Heavier use? Go higher weight.

Chevron Delo 15w-40 is equally as good as Rotella IMO and is what I use year round here in South Florida. It's a bit cheaper, too. Also, I use Mobil 1 filters at every change (M1-204A). Total comes up to about $25 an oil change.

I'd use Wal-Mart's Super Tech brand dino oil, 10W-30 or 40; change oil more frequently than recommended and always use a good quality oil filter (better than Fram).

Apparently the Fram Ultra filter line is supposed to be pretty good. It's not longer a brand to avoid if you buy the right type.

Seconded on the Delo 15w40. Works nicely in California. I would be curious to send a sample of the delo and rotella for analysis to see how similar they are.

All I can say is... glad to be amongst you crazy brickers again. I met a French-Canadien brethren. He is a former member, and a custom electric motorcycle builer. The Lightning motorcycle builder is amongst for friends there. I am just catching up. let me ask my buddy for a retro Turbobricks t-shirt pic. hahahaha

I pretty much exclusively use Mann filters, they're very good and dirt cheap.

My grandfather had a mantra about filters for his volvos. Mann, or if you can't get that, wix. I recall he got into an argument with a nurse about filters once, as he was laying in a hospital bed.

Last edited:
My grandfather had a mantra about filters for his volvos. Mann, or if you can't get that, wix. I recall he got into an argument with a nurse about filters once, as he was laying in a hospital bed.

Yup, that?s what I always use. Mahle too.

Oil filters are almost as controversial as oil itself :lol:.

There are so many oils that are good so it's really a personal choice. Just like many parts and things it's important to buy the correct weight that works for your climate/engine. I've found the synthetics to be worth it to me. Still use dino oil in my truck and my moms car. Just my Volvos get the synth.

i use mobil 1 15/50 in all of our volvo's , valvoline vr 1 racing oil {high in zinc}in our 1960 s2 bentley.i am breaking in the new motor in my 1961 mk1 mg midget on vr 1, will switch to mobil 1 once it is broken in. My wife's 90 240 wagon now has 600k miles on it we have had it for 20 years always used mobile 1. Btw how many mile on your car?

Back