• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My Little Dream (Duett)

OldCarNewTricks

Not sure if this is off topic, but I absolutely love the old Duett cars. I started a new job as a restoration mechanic for an aircraft company, and most of my work is war era and post war era tractors, tugs and military vehicles. Very fun job. I'm realizing quickly that there is alot of moving my tools around and moving parts and pieces to service vendors, then picking them up when ready. I currently have a 99 F150 with a fiberglass tonneau, and it provides adequate protection for my tools and the parts I carry. However, I also have a project 242 and a project IROC Camaro.

I like functionality for my cars, and I purchased my 240 back to try to save some gas while I finish my auto tech degree. I plan to drive the 240 for commutes and continue use of my F150 for work.

With all that being said, I came around to the idea of a Volvo Duett. The entire purpose of it was to do work, commute and play on the weekends. I love the idea of a frame'd Volvo. I was thinking about a B23FT with a 700r4 behind it, and welding a hitch on to the rear end. Add some tasteful LT tires with some appropriate low rear end gears, and it could tow plenty for me, and I could even take it camping once in a while. This would essentially replace both my 242 and F150 and serve the purpose of both.

I wanted to put this out there to see those that have experience with Duetts, towing with a B23FT and just to see if this would be a generally good idea. I also believe that if I do a good job on something like this, that it would serve as good proof of my work, so essentially a rolling resume :lol:

No experience, but I'd be looking for a B30 for it if towing and tool hauling is in the cards. Bigger motor for more torques, plus the six will be smoother on the highway.

I'd most likely want to do some kind of FI. Maybe the Holley Sniper system since it already mimics a carb setup. Would probably be the easiest way.

A small turbo would increase the torque as well and make it an even better driver with an auto trans. Or a super charger. Whatever, you'd want the boost to come in early. You're building a tractor not a drag car. But seriously even an NA B30 would have decent enough torque for an everyday driver/hauler.

Sounds like a neat project.

No experience, but I'd be looking for a B30 for it if towing and tool hauling is in the cards. Bigger motor for more torques, plus the six will be smoother on the highway.

I'd most likely want to do some kind of FI. Maybe the Holley Sniper system since it already mimics a carb setup. Would probably be the easiest way.

A small turbo would increase the torque as well and make it an even better driver with an auto trans. Or a super charger. Whatever, you'd want the boost to come in early. You're building a tractor not a drag car. But seriously even an NA B30 would have decent enough torque for an everyday driver/hauler.

Sounds like a neat project.

B30 would be sweet! I think that would be an amazing motor for the car!

FI is also a really good shout. For a reliable daily, it's probably the best option.

How difficult is it to find a project Duett? Anyone know?

Why would anyone run a B30 when you could just install a whiteblock I6 and have a smooth as glass running engine that gets great fuel mileage and produces more power?

^^ You left out, "That's really hard to get parts for". All legitimate reasons to run a dinosaur motor that produces very little power and weighs way more than much better designs do.

An S80 T6 engine with different turbos would make a Duett do wheel stands with the proper rear tires and would still get decent fuel mileage.

Because different is cool.

I'd swap in a Ford I6 small block 170-200-240 CI before I'd go to a whiteblock. On a duett anyway.

I'm a whiteblock fan, but it doesn't fit the design of this truck which will never get built. So why not go for an engine thats hard to find and work with?

^^

Because it is supposedly going to be his daily driver work vehicle. To me, that means every time I go out to use it the engine starts and runs reliably. Fuel mileage is also a concern. So are emissions in my book. There's also the fact that the transmissions used behind the B30 are junk and near impossible to find parts for. OP would be dreaming no doubt if he thinks that combination would be reliable.

Last edited:
B30 in a Duett might be a nightmare to fit. There will be limited space for the radiator in the front and you will probably have to move the gearbox further back in the car.

Just get a B230F and a M46. Or a B20 :)

B30 in a Duett might be a nightmare to fit. There will be limited space for the radiator in the front and you will probably have to move the gearbox further back in the car.

Just get a B230F and a M46. Or a B20 :)

Whiteblock 6 pot would be much cooler. It's a custom car, so why not?

The B18 was designed as half of a B36. Which is sort of why it's so overbuilt (for the time at least) with 5 main bearings. The B4B/B14/B16 were all 3 main bearing engines.

B36 is a bad option. Hard to find parts. Heavy. Not that much HP. Thirsty. Has never been popular here in Sweden as it?s an engine made for a light truck.

B36 is a bad option. Hard to find parts. Heavy. Not that much HP. Thirsty. Has never been popular here in Sweden as it?s an engine made for a light truck.

Ya but the option to put twin turbos is far superior to all the negatives everyone is mentioning

B36 might even hit 200hp with +TT

Back