• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Driving Lights with quad-round front end?

propav8r

F*ck Edgar
Anybody got pics of a driving light setup with quad rounds? I'm in dire need of more light out front, especially as it gets dark so early now. Hitting the mountain for night runs is...terrifying.

The easy solution would be a light bar mounted on the bumper, but I haven't found one that didn't look like ass yet.

Thinking of dual bumper-mounted 8" driving lights, but I'm having a hard time visualizing if it would just be too much round on the front of the car. Post up pics if you've got em.

Sooper Spider Eyes

DSC_0293.JPG

Last edited:
Thinking of dual bumper-mounted 8" driving lights, but I'm having a hard time visualizing if it would just be too much round on the front of the car.
Photoshop isn't your friend? OK, let's see what I can do.

First of all, how are those 8" lights measured? If =A (the entire housing) then the glass is somewhat less. If =B (just the glass) then the whole thing is even more huge.

I did a mockup of each version, scaling it proportional to the known quantity (the 5.75 high beam.)

Attachments

• light-measurement-question.jpg
    light-measurement-question.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 181
  • Volvo-round-driving-lights-A.jpg
    Volvo-round-driving-lights-A.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Volvo-round-driving-lights-B.jpg
    Volvo-round-driving-lights-B.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 183
Photoshop isn't your friend? OK, let's see what I can do.

First of all, how are those 8" lights measured? If =A (the entire housing) then the glass is somewhat less. If =B (just the glass) then the whole thing is even more huge.

I did a mockup of each version, scaling it proportional to the known quantity (the 5.75 high beam.)

Nice, thanks.

I really don't hate the look, but I may be sticking with a light bar on a roof rack. Idk yet.

Nice, thanks.

I really don't hate the look, but I may be sticking with a light bar on a roof rack. Idk yet.

No sweat. I realized just after posting that I should have added some words to each picture. They're going to pop up years from now, as gospel truth to what round lights really look like; no one will remember it was a wild ass guess. Thanks to Cwazy for running with it. :lol:

I kinda like the multiple rounds -- classy, and fits with the vintage rally look. Maybe I'd choose 7" instead of 8". At some point ya gotta wonder about cooling.

Lots of kids are using light bars these days, blinding the snot out of people on city streets of course. There's apparently little to no beam shaping, and certainly no upper cut-off. (Can't wait for the cops to get done busting hookers and ignoring lost Volvos, so they'll get on this problem.) Point being, despite the attractiveness of fitting lights into small spaces and behind grilles, I personally wouldn't join that fray.

Hello FF700 are nice and affordable. Not a fan of led light bars as the scattered light and non focused light sucks. It's just blinding glare not illumination.

Light bars (or floods) make good cornering lamps.
I use hella 500 driving beams. They outperform most high beams. 700 should be even better. Hella also makes rounds with multiple LEDs that are focused.

swedishiron.com used to have the old zkw fog lamps and driving lamps on his '79 wagon back when it had the spidereyes. Had the fogs mounted on top of the bumper and the driving lamps behind the grille, mounted to the upper tie bar of the core support. They were rectangular, but worked well.

I too used to have the ZKW fog lights under the bumper on my turbo. They were great lights. I wiped out two sets with road debris and now have a set of the Catz msx on there. They are nice and small but the light pattern isn't very good.

scattered light and non focused light sucks. It's just blinding glare not illumination.
LEDs might offer illumination also -- I have not been in the cabin of such a machine. But definitely glare, and often blinding.

Never really paid attention to which vehicles are so equipped, but in glancing around a few neighborhoods lately, I'd have to say there's a strong correlation with ghetto cars.

OP, what headlights are you running, that are terrifying? There are some decent choices out there, but spendy. Might be worth investigating. Here are photos from someone who explored an almost $1k option: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=349967

LEDs might offer illumination also -- I have not been in the cabin of such a machine. But definitely glare, and often blinding.

Never really paid attention to which vehicles are so equipped, but in glancing around a few neighborhoods lately, I'd have to say there's a strong correlation with ghetto cars.

OP, what headlights are you running, that are terrifying? There are some decent choices out there, but spendy. Might be worth investigating. Here are photos from someone who explored an almost $1k option: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=349967

They almost look like the BMW ellipsoidal halogens used on the late 1980s and early 1990s E32 and E34 cars. I'm running the Hella H4/H1 5.75" rounds with 60/55W H4 bulbs and 55W H1 bulbs on my 242 and they're quite decent for the rural area I live in.

I also have H4/H1 rounds. My issue isn't just the light output, it's fine for normal driving on normal roads.

My problem is that I like to go be stupid on back roads that have hairpins and switchbacks. You can have all the light in the world going straight forward, but if it's not spilling off to the sides, you can't see jack **** when you're moving at a good clip.

Here's my (poorly) illustrated point below.

What I currently see:
qsYwtCjh.png

What I need to see:
ao31KSIh.png

Edit// Before you say slow down at night, let's get this out of the way.

z50xp-1619719725-16226-list_items-no.jpg

Last edited:
Back