• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sad day

Haystack

Well I was driving my 87 240 home from work today when all of a sudden there was some vibrating and a loud noise. No dash lights came on so I limped it to the off ramp thinking it was a flat tire, got out to inspect and found that all of the tires were fine. I went to start it up again and it sounded like a straight piped tractor. I didn't want to investigate too much on the side of the freeway off ramp so I got it towed home. Once home I popped the hood to check the oil which looked fine, go to check the plugs only to find one of the spark plug boots just dangling, yep blew a spark plug right out of the head. Checked the coolant and it's mucky. Pour some out for my baby guys, shes dead for now :-(

Use a spark plug thread chaser to clean the threads up, reinstall the plug, which may still be in the engine compartment somewhere, then change your coolant. It may not be a blown head gasket. Same thing once happened to me on an '84 245GL. Blew #2 out the plug hole. No acceleration, sounded like a lawnmower. Pulled off to the side, and discovered that yes, there was no plug in that cylinder. Installed a spare that was in the car, reconnected the plug wire, and kept driving.

it is a lot easier to repair plug threads with the ehad off. If the threads are really trashed. A timesert is the best permanent repair. Number four is basically impossible to repair in situ.

Back