• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16V plus turbo - bogging down - HELP

So these are the knowns:
-wastegate is fixed now
-With simon's ecu(s?) it's presumably a dog (any codes?)
-With stock ezk it's fast but pings up top
-lh 2.2 (lawl)
-blows charge out exhaust (????)

So, as it's lh 2.2 and 16v-a combo that I'm not sure ever existed 'in the wild' in the US (let alone turbo)
We don't have a wideband, so there's no telling what the afr's are

What's the base timing set to? how does it respond to retarding the base timing a couple of degrees?

there's no hard data here, so really there is not going to be any solid advice to give. Bigger injectors? sure, why the **** not. other random ecu's? **** it, why not!
Hey while we're at it, let's put a 4 bar regulator on there and crank over the CO screw on the MAF because reasons!

In the presence of data (not hearsay or assumptions), answers will become clear.

So these are the knowns:
-wastegate is fixed now
-With simon's ecu(s?) it's presumably a dog (any codes?)
-With stock ezk it's fast but pings up top
-lh 2.2 (lawl)
-blows charge out exhaust (????)

So, as it's lh 2.2 and 16v-a combo that I'm not sure ever existed 'in the wild' in the US (let alone turbo)
We don't have a wideband, so there's no telling what the afr's are

What's the base timing set to? how does it respond to retarding the base timing a couple of degrees?

there's no hard data here, so really there is not going to be any solid advice to give. Bigger injectors? sure, why the **** not. other random ecu's? **** it, why not!
Hey while we're at it, let's put a 4 bar regulator on there and crank over the CO screw on the MAF because reasons!

In the presence of data (not hearsay or assumptions), answers will become clear.

valid points (yeah I get this thread sucks. I asked the mods to lock it but they didnt and here we are)

wastegate fixed and everything with exhaust stuff has been fixed
simons ecu runs like dog on my setup - sent him a message - you can read codes? on these
stock 2.2 turbo ecu with turbo ezk - fast but does ping over ~5.5k
timing is set to about 10-12 - runs like dog **** if I retard or add more it runs like ****
850 red turbo injectors
npr intercooler
3 inch exhaust

so yeah whats next

Last edited:
valid points (yeah I get this thread sucks. I asked the mods to lock it but they didnt and here we are)

wastegate fixed and everything with exhaust stuff has been fixed
simons ecu runs like dog on my setup - sent him a message - you can read codes? on these
stock 2.2 turbo ecu with turbo ezk - fast but does ping over ~5.5k
timing is set to about 10-12 - runs like dog **** if I retard or add more it runs like ****
850 red turbo injectors
npr intercooler
3 inch exhaust

so yeah whats next

A failing AMM. I have run into this issue several times with 7-9 series turbos. That is why the problem comes and goes. A 780 I bought would run perfect one minute and couldn't get out of its own way the next. The boost gage would be pegged and the car was producing 25 hp at best. Good luck finding a known good 007 AMM to put on there to see if this is the problem. K-jets has a couple of good 007s if you want to try one. If you plan to keep this car, you should buy one anyway while you still can. They are getting to be VERY hard to find in good working order.

A failing AMM. I have run into this issue several times with 7-9 series turbos. That is why the problem comes and goes. A 780 I bought would run perfect one minute and couldn't get out of its own way the next. The boost gage would be pegged and the car was producing 25 hp at best. Good luck finding a known good 007 AMM to put on there to see if this is the problem. K-jets has a couple of good 007s if you want to try one. If you plan to keep this car, you should buy one anyway while you still can. They are getting to be VERY hard to find in good working order.

i have a bunch. Thought the same and swapped over

now Im trying to figure out why it pings

You may have a bad connection. That's what I hate about 2.2, no diagnostics. The fact it comes and goes like it does indicates it is something electrical, not mechanical. Waste gates don't fix themselves.

You may have a bad connection. That's what I hate about 2.2, no diagnostics. The fact it comes and goes like it does indicates it is something electrical, not mechanical. Waste gates don't fix themselves.

that was a consistent problem only on Sbbabs ecu. Im just waiting to see what he says

its my understanding that the ezk will do first 1-2 pulls as the base and then adjust accordingly with each on/off cycle and that's exactly what was happening to me

So you're running 315cc injectors and some china turbo at what boost? You could be out of injector at 5.5k when the turbo is making peak boost.

I suspect multiple things coming to play here.

Spark timing is too hot for a B230+16v+t. Really Simon to chime in here on that side of things.
System functions normally on a stock EZK tells me the spark tune is causing the issue.
Pinging up top, your running pretty small injectors for that power level. Also you're beyond the scaling level of the stock MAF. Watching even a 230FT with a K and T3/T4 it was pinging the top load row by 10-12psi and carrying that timing level on as boost built. A stock tune at 25* was not happy at increased boost levels. The larger MAF allows you more scalability to tune for the higher boost and stay on the map.
Injector sizing on 2.2 doesn't play near as nice as 2.4 does.

that was a consistent problem only on Sbbabs ecu. Im just waiting to see what he says

its my understanding that the ezk will do first 1-2 pulls as the base and then adjust accordingly with each on/off cycle and that's exactly what was happening to me
I didn't think anything related to 2.2 learned anything, unless sbabbs chips are different.

THe chip has the stock 16v turbo ignition map on it from the 2.4 16v turbo 208 EZK. It is a conservative ignition curve supposedly I have been told by others more in the tuning know all(MrJayBeeze).

THat being said, there could be something wrong with it say in the soldering of the socket onto the board a bad connection. I did test it in a car and it ran before I sent it, but that was before I swapped in the 16v turbo chip. I guess send it back and I can check the chip bin and I could burn a new chip easy to adjust the timing map to what you want. Say take the 8v map that works good but less timing up top. THere is that development thread where I posted the tunerpro xdf and the files so you can tune it yourself and email me the bin and I can program up the chip. I am not a professional email tuner, that is not my gig. I just program up stuff to do get with the program. Other people have done all the tunes I have mostly. I have cut and pasted maps in other bins. I don't have a 2.2 car to test anything. I'm all in 2.4 but that's just me..

Simon

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=4507498&postcount=21

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=5795709&postcount=40

Last edited:
I'd be looking at running out of fuel given the injector size. 315's are pushing it at 15psi on an 8v, let alone a 16v.

Also, anybody know the stock SCR on a B204FT vs a B230F+16v? Different bore size along with a change in compression may be adding to the mix.

Your injector size is way too small. The 16v head flows more air than an 8v head and you've added a turbo to that. IIRC the stock 740 turbo injectors are 290cc and you've gone with 315cc injectors on a head that flows more and a much bigger than stock turbo.

You're wondering what the issue is.....

Your injector size is way too small. The 16v head flows more air than an 8v head and you've added a turbo to that. IIRC the stock 740 turbo injectors are 290cc and you've gone with 315cc injectors on a head that flows more and a much bigger than stock turbo.

You're wondering what the issue is.....

Such nice, much help

Yeah it?s been my thinking... that?s why I have bigger ones on the way

Made a thread to hear what people have done etc

Back