• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

another ipd cam thread

TheVolvo966

hi all, got my hands on an ipd turbo performance cam and adjustable cam gear and I wanted to install them soon, but before doing so I have some questions that my research didn't exactly answer. (sorry in advance for noob questions).

Do I need another chip or any tuning to run this cam? the car is +t and not a factory turbo engine and i'm sure that makes a difference but not 100% certain where.

I read somewhere that 4*retard was "optimal" for this cam on dyno, but i've also seen many recommending to just run it straight up and go from there - can anyone with a similar setup/experience chime in? - or am I just better off going straight up and trying to dial it in on my own?

As far as break-in goes, i've read 20min at 2k rpm is how it should be done - is this while driving/cruising or with the car sitting? I can't imagine a 2k idle for 20min would be good for an engine...

some specs on the car:
1990 244 converted to LH2.4
b230f+t with block distributor(not sure how important that is) 15g turbo and M47

i'm sure i'll come up with more questions as I go but as usual I appreciate any help/info I can get.. as well as insults but only if they're creative:-P

Has the head been off this and milled, or are you running a thin head gasket? I would put the cam in with the factory gear if the answer to both those questions is "no".

Yes, 20 min at 2k sitting in the driveway. It's fine. I've always changed the oil afterward also, but I'm kinda old school and this may not be technically necessary.

Dyno testing that I have done shows no measurable improvement in changing cam timing plus or minus 4 degrees. I've never tried beyond that. A crap cylinder head is a crap cylinder head.

You do not NEED a fuel or ign chip to run this, but you certainly SHOULD tune it for optimal result.

Last edited:
I run my cams advanced a bit. I run it six degrees advanced on my 93 wagon which is where I leave it. Having run a enem V15 in my n/a LH2.4 wagon without a chip and then with a chip. I can tell you it's well worth it to get a chip with more optimal programming on it.
Changing the cam is one of the best changes you can make on these engines.

Going from a T cam to a V15 completely changed the engine to a wider much more useful powerband than the stock cam has. No real loss of mileage either. Not that mileage is all that great. lol.

Break in is absolutely critical, keep the revs up and vary the rpm between 2-3 grand because that changes the way the oil is being sprayed around. Make sure there's enough gas in the tank bring a hose to cool the radiator of need be and I would highly highly recommend a cam break in oil or additive such as comp cams and some new shims as you will have adjust clearances

If it's the ipd adjustable cam gear I would be wary of the cam timing actually being where the gear says it is. Best to install it straight up unless you have dyno tuning and/or cam measurement planned so you're not working in the dark.

spec from Enem is 1mm of lift on the intake at crank tdc, cam lobes pointing down. Roughly -4 degrees usually puts you there.

Yes, your break in is about 20 minutes of stationary running keeping the engine about 2000 rpms for the full 20 minutes. After that you are ready to enjoy the cam.

Thanks for the info everyone. Sounds like that is indeed the preferred method for break in so I will make sure to do that. The head has been cleaned up but not shaved any, and it just has the standard headgasket. I guess I’ll start with it straight up and tinker from there. It’s interesting how some have had success with adjusting the cam timing while others didn’t.. Also I have seen the v15 or enem cam mentioned quite a bit what’s the story with this?

Fuel mileage isn’t a big concern (disregard my proudly shared fuelly info) I know you gotta pay to play!

Yes it is the adjustable IPD cam gear - are these not good quality parts?

As far as chips go, i have seen TLAO pop up a bunch of different places here on TB - is he still making those? Or is there another reputable source? I’m in central Illinois I don’t think there are any Volvo experts / tuners around for hundreds of miles.

I bought the enem V15 because long ago the Mike Aaro phase one cam was based on the enem cam. I like the enem cam better because it is less of a compromise than the ipd cam.
What I mean is the turbo version is very oriented to a turbo engine with a 112 degree lobe angle. The n/a version of the enem V15 is n/a oriented with a 109 degree lobe angle. The ipd cam is a bit of a compromise with a 110 dgree lobe angle. All of these are a mild street performance cams with smooth running, good low rpm torque as part of the design.

If you really want to go fast you want a more high performance cam like a V!6 or one of the others with more duration and lift. The next setup I have to use will have a V16 turbo grind in the head. Most of the cams that they make can be a turbo or n/a grind.

For chips the lost art of or sbabbs can provide you with performance upgrades. Look into the ezk chip thread so you know what to do with the ignition box.

I bought the enem V15 because long ago the Mike Aaro phase one cam was based on the enem cam. I like the enem cam better because it is less of a compromise than the ipd cam.
What I mean is the turbo version is very oriented to a turbo engine with a 112 degree lobe angle. The n/a version of the enem V15 is n/a oriented with a 109 degree lobe angle. The ipd cam is a bit of a compromise with a 110 dgree lobe angle. All of these are a mild street performance cams with smooth running, good low rpm torque as part of the design.

If you really want to go fast you want a more high performance cam like a V!6 or one of the others with more duration and lift. The next setup I have to use will have a V16 turbo grind in the head. Most of the cams that they make can be a turbo or n/a grind.

For chips the lost art of or sbabbs can provide you with performance upgrades. Look into the ezk chip thread so you know what to do with the ignition box.

Okay I gotcha, the only other cams I looked into were the RSI ones a couple years ago but I was just too busy for the car and dropped off for a while. Are your cars +T or factory turbos (and does that make a difference tuning wise or?)? Going fast is the goal, maybe down the road if I stick with the b230 ill check out the V cams - is the manufacturer "enem"?

Thanks for the chip info - can't even remember which computers I have right now so i'll do some digging there and try to get in touch with one of those guys. I did happen upon a thread where someone was doing drop-in Micro/Mega squirt stuff - anybody got experience here?

I'd like to try the V15 turbo in an N/A LH2.4 application because of that wider lobe separation.

I have two cars with enem V15. Turbo version in my 82 turbo which is a B21FT. The other is the n/a version which is in my 93 wagon a LH2.4 B230F.

Hey guys thought I would update for fun

Was doing some “maintenance” one thing led to another and I decided to install the cam this weekend. Just running it straight-up and the car runs great! Roads were kinda slick so I didn’t give it hell but I’m really pleased with how it is performing so far. Thanks again for all the info

Back