• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Waterproof Car Covers

yankee

I don't know if this is the right place for this...I need some advise.. What have do you folks recommend for good car covers for a 245.. There are quite a few out there in the marketplace and prices are all over the place.. I'm going to be storing this car outside and it will be in the PNW so durability and waterproofing will be important... Thanks in advance..

Look for a breathable waterproof cover. Otherwise, you will probably kill your paint. I have used both Covercraft and Wolf with great success.

Dave Riedle

I like the multi layer poly cloth ones. they let your car get wet but then when dry air evaporates out the water and the cover dries. They have lasted about 3-4 years around here. The more layers of the poly cloth the longer they last. I usually buy the generic sizes one size larger than the recommended size and they fit well. Usually between 75-85 dollars. I use one for an outside stored 240 turbo.

As noted, waterproof is a no go. It will destroy the finish because it will trap moisture underneath the cover. Waterproof (as in storage bags) is only suitable for indoor storage where you want to prevent condensation on the car when you go through a temperature change in an unheated winter storage space. Water (& snow?) beading / resistant and breathable is what you want for outdoor storage.

In a custom fit cover, more money generally buys you longer life. Direct exposure to sunshine is what eventually kills the fabric. My first cover was Weathershield hp fabric. It lasted a little over 4 years before it started disintegrating. Store the car in a shady area and it will last longer. My current cover is Sunbrella fabric; but, I have not had it long enough to advise on durability. My son has a NOAH fabric cover and has used it for 5 years with no significant deterioration. But, he only uses it for outside winter storage (Sept - Apr) where it is in the shade and half the time covered by snow.

Weathershield is the easiest to put on the car because it is thin and light - unless it is windy. If its windy its like parachute silk and you definitely need two people to install. Easy to store because its thin. Sunbrella and NOAH are heavier, thicker and stiffer and take up more storage space and when they do get wet they stay wetter longer than the Weathershield.

The fabrics block dust and other stuff when dry. If the fabrics have dust on the outside surface and you get a heavy rain, the dust will wash through the fabric and accumulate on the paint. Easy to clean off with something like a California Duster when dry. All the fabrics I have experience with do this.

One comment on the custom fit versus the generic fit. If the generic fit is loose and it is windy in your location, the loose fit can really balloon up and flap in the wind and flog your paint - if that matters. In a super strong wind an oversized generic cover can lift right off on the ends even if tied down in the center. The custom fit are tighter and won't balloon up and flap - as much.

That's good information my 245TIC will be parked in a shaded area my storage area is in Blaine Wa. so the climate is moderate..Some rain and light snow... My research is leading me to a multi layer breathable material.. But prices are all over the place from $50 to $300... Thanks all......

I bought a “custom fit” cover last year from empirecovers.com. It was the titan 5 layer, or whatever there top of the line all weather cover is called. I think it was about 100 bucks. I had it on my wagon all winter in my driveway. At the time I had a sunroof leak, and the cover did prevent any water from getting into the car. When I got the cover off in the spring and started to clean the car up, I noticed the cover had scratched the roof and hood from wind getting underneath the cover and causing it to rub against the paint. I had it tied down correctly with all the included straps. I will not be using this cover again this season. If I had no other choice, I might try and find something softer like a “dust cover” to use as a first layer underneath the heavier cover as a barrier between that and the paint. For about the same price as some of the higher end custom covers I could put my car in indoor storage for the winter season, so that’s what I’m looking into this time around.

I think the better covers will have the first layer, the one that touches the car, to be made of a soft cotton or similar material, then all the other layers will be a variety of fabrics. So that is key to finding a cover for your car.

Back