• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Hole on bottom of fan motor?

bmdubya1198

Well, I finally found where the water was coming into my car, but now I can't decide on how to fix it.

Are these holes on the bottom of the fan motor necessary? Can I just silicone them? The one that's circles is where the water is leaking in, but I don't know if I seal that one if it will leak in from another one.

It appears there is a drain hose of some sort up higher on the housing, but I don't know how effective it could be. And obviously I don't want the water just sitting in the fan and damaging the motor.

Should I just make a drain hose for one of these holes or plug 'em?

8jRWqLAgH8I8NklqFetUgkZB03MzaT1dQ-Pw7DWXVlssUgN5ajeSBcbpKOMRFBYn6GAzb7FvLnXyBI2TnPsHx8V7yJGJGlDjAS72roIxcJZfqXFp8u2WDHsqPmPV1NlT4MbKBKv0mN0M-ZH3U-eIp0T23dp7XMtvqG3DpGAAs_qN9gvmbb_5rY_zPXPkWkackxb-7M7H32MryxCknFyTi3Y7VmU1P-FSJmv0qD56shp1uqcVdIxm86Ok2iFvWYSHJN5Oag6tiPWYOG5UHzqCzGL7L9iRo0JnCdOnDI3hjJWXpy4badXGK5AiVO8yUOiMyCLF_BJM86UdZo3ecwPFD1FodxQ1fKFqbM8R2E8lX7Vw-DjSHGCWa6WzgDz9rBacxbxRDeAlNIsYU3lq8jhrZRzdhEtzeAY3J78Pt0QbUU6FRrb5AVIZFUcjvzXiPTxCqArHvaOJe5mL-VD4I8dZNf7gS5-6d4F90dAF0JL5ZW_xurHo3qJdvJOek1j8-k7EgK6qLyAoGlgN2YxYT0OCni0BKP36c_Oqc-R2UAqsftev5K6CiBkTeMtoWxm6D2mhkGhf7UwBxi8QcMkGBHOaeTKW5UP_OefYibnobHNlyq3bjciOsz1iUdtbLic23G6Q3A_mmiv6pg-gTFlzUbipFBOXUwSORsd83Q=w842-h631-no

Pic:https://photos.app.goo.gl/xFiRTu483ybjp5Zd9

If water pools up inside the motor's housing then the bearing is not going to last. So you gotta let the water drain out. How it gets there in the first place is another question. Something is wrong under the cowl?

I've been wondering that myself... how does the water even get in there? I sealed the black plastic shield over the fan under the cowl, and water is still getting in.

I've heard that it's normal for water to get in there. Which seems odd to me too, but I don't know how to prevent it.

Normally the fix for this is the one you did-- correctly positioning and sealing the plastic cover piece under the hood-to windshield transition cowling. Evidently your problem is somewhere else, likely limited to the windshield or body seam or thru-bolt under the cowling. Looks like you will have to test it yourself. Use the hose or watering can to drench different areas and watch for which area corresponds to the leaking water. Start low first (i.e. drench the cowl insides first).

Back