• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Color question need opinions

Myk3916

Right now I have a tan interior on my 242 and I was wondering would it be easier to trade with someone looking for Tan or... Because I want black would it just be easier to dye or paint?

I want to keep it as many original parts as I can, but it's not going to be 100% possible considering the project that I am going to be doing, but like I said I want to keep it as close to original as possible.

The dashboard does have cracks I haven't met a 240 that doesn't have a cracked Dash, but I have all the interior panels but they are all tan like I said, and what about the brown doors? And the handles? Is there an easier way?

Or should I just be looking to acquire by purchase? I've seen some really good interior jobs done but they always say you get what you pay for... And certain dyes and sprays just don't cut it...

I'm pretty sure this may have been ask somewhere else so if there is a link or if you just want to comment that would be great

As a 2 tan 240 interior owner (I think that makes sense) I can tell you tan is seemingly much more rare than anything else. Because of this, I would say forget any paint or dye ideas. Also because they're mostly terrible.

You might be able to find someone willing to trade, or even just go strip a junkyard car... you can get most everything I'd suspect but shipping would suck.

Silver cars many times have a dark interior like black. But finding 2dr stuff may take some time unless you find a complete car. I'd suggest put a feeler out in the wanted section. You may find parts near enough you won't have to ship depending on the area of the country.

I agree with Evos post that the dye and paint stuff is tough to make it look as nice as anything Volvo put in there. You would be better off if you got your own material and recovered door cards and rear deck as a diy project if you gotta have the black. IPD probably still sells the black seat covers and they are awesome and will last a very long time. I guess the hard plastic might take to paint but I don't know.

I've seen YouTube diy stuff... And I've done a bit of paint work in my days, I dunno either, I was thinking upholstery work for the door cards, and just do the seats custom... I was considering doing a cage and taking out the back seat, but I'm unsure til I get to the interior part... And carpet... I'm sure easy peasy for an upholsterer... I guess the dash and plastics are gonna be the tough part... Maybe if I can find a single spare plastic panel, I can do some testing first so I don't ruin any of my originals...

I would goto the junk yards and look, but 240s are becoming more rare... I remember a decade ago there were rows and rows of them, hard to come across a pair of them at a yard now.... And the 240s are mostly interchangeable with the 242... I mean hell on my 70s I put a 95 alternator once... The interchange is insane on Volvo's unlike any other car manufacturer I believe....

You can't have a car with a cage and then be worried about what color your interior is man... cmon

(no but really... screw me, do whatever the hell you want)

But also really. The tan is so nice. Love the tan. The car is probably older than you!

You can't have a car with a cage and then be worried about what color your interior is man... cmon

But also really. The tan is so nice. Love the tan. The car is probably older than you!

Actually no I'm older than the car by almost 4 years...

And the cage is for scca so all I gotta do is throw an extinguisher in and I can technically get into pro races or drags at events, it's a toy car not daily driver, and looking at putting V8 in, so also increases unibody strength since no frame, or was considering adding sub frame?

Tan is nice, but limits me to what I can do outside for color also, why if I went black I can do just about anything for body color... Hmmm just thought.. grey would be nice like my s60!

Most gray 240s had tan interior, unless they were 1985 or newer, in which case they might have blue or black as well. I actually converted my blue/black 245Ti to blue and tan. Darker outside colors are better with a lighter colored interior, since the inside of the car doesn't wind up being excessively hot. It's never going to be as cool as a lighter colored car, but it'll be better than having a dark car with a black interior. I once considered a black/black 245 Turbo. A couple years later, had a black/tan 242 Turbo (not the one in my avatar, but one just like it), after my silver 242 Turbo was totalled. Was much happier with the tan interior.

In any case, there are black interior 242s out there. You just have to look for them. If you really do want to go black, I would recommend finding a GT and get the cloth seats, instead of the leather seats that a 242T would have.

This. You're adding a cage so don't worry about the trim too much. Buy SEM adhesion promoter and SEM black spray paint for plastic and do a color change. It's a good product for this type of thing. Front and rear door panels will cost over $100 to ship. Have a tan dash, then use a black dash cap or dash mat for less money. Aftermarket carpet is usually one piece. Not a deal breaker but once you cut it you should have the cut edge bound.

My original Carolina blue 79' had blue and black interior, I miss that car, someone totaled that one, it was parked and someone hit it doing 60mph... Like really?! Anyways, RIP, ummm... Great comments and I have gotten some ideas so far, keep em coming if ya got em... I'm leaning a bit more now but still undecided... Truly it doesn't matter what others think if I'm the one who is gonna be driving it, but I like hearing things maybe I haven't thought of maybe I can improve upon or learn something... Again thx!

My original Carolina blue 79' had blue and black interior, I miss that car, someone totaled that one, it was parked and someone hit it doing 60mph... Like really?! Anyways, RIP, ummm... Great comments and I have gotten some ideas so far, keep em coming if ya got em... I'm leaning a bit more now but still undecided... Truly it doesn't matter what others think if I'm the one who is gonna be driving it, but I like hearing things maybe I haven't thought of maybe I can improve upon or learn something... Again thx!

This is totally true, and I don't intend to flame at all. I will say this... I know that Volvos aren't classics to a lot of people. But there is something to be said for passing useful parts onto the community. I have no issue with a black interior... it'd just be a shame to paint over a good condition part since so many people are looking for stuff that's nicer. I think one of the top reasons Volvos get crushed/junked is because the damn drivers seat is ruined and no one thinks about replacing it.

I think they've done basic reproductions on every color BUT the tan as well...

Back