• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

83 240 Turbo Clutch?

TerkelTurbo

Hey TBers,

I thought this would be straight forward but sifting through old TB threads and the interweb at large, I haven't been able to come up with an answer. I'm in need of a new clutch for my '83 244 turbo. Is there a difference between the non-turbo and turbo clutches for these years? And if so, where would I find a turbo clutch?

Volvopartsstore doesn't specify a non-turbo vs turbo clutch for 83 but both IPD and FCP note their clutches are for non-turbo cars. My local volvo guru is convinced there is a difference (and I would agree with his sentiment) but after a couple weeks of going through the usual channels and then even the back channels, he hasn't been able to come up with one. A lead on a turbo clutch would be greatly appreciated. Also, its a flat plate flywheel. That I know...

Thanks!

Another affordable alternative is to get the heavier dog dish flywheel. You can use the one on intercooled 240 turbos or from any manual turbo 700 series car up to 89. Then you can buy the clutch kit for a 740 turbo. They are a bit cheaper. Make sure to use the throwout bearing for your throwout arm so it's best to buy the kit for an 85 740 turbo.

The benefit is the stronger clutch kit. Plus the heavier flywheel will spool the turbo a bit faster.

Last edited:
I've used Saab 900 8 valve Turbo pressure plate in several cars. It holds a lot more torque than a stock Turbo pressure plate and is a bolt-on. And not too expensive.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1382885&cc=1265509&jsn=1634&jsn=1634
Naturally the disc won't fit, throw it in to the bin and buy a stock replacement.

Good to know. I've used the larger diameter Saab 9-3 2L 16v turbo pressure plate with a 9" disk (stock dog-dish disk will work) on a few different setups. The pressure plate does need to be spaced ~0.5-01mm.
Of note, this PP will only work if the locating dowel pins are exactly between the threaded mounting holes on the flywheel.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1384113&cc=1401994&jsn=869&jsn=869

Last edited:
Back