• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230ft Swap

jackasquires

Hello Everyone! I recently purchased a non-op 1994 940 turbo wagon. I've just gotten done taking out the engine and putting it on a mount to work on some modifications before I put it in to my 1989 5 speed 240DL wagon. I need to get rid of the 940 soon to free up space in the driveway and I want to make sure I have everything I need before I get it towed to the junk yard. This is my first time doing a swap like this so I'm not incredibly informed on what the entire process is. So far I've kept the engine with all the accessories and intake on it and left the transmission in the car (it was no good, and I plan on using my M47 5 speed). Other than that I've kept the inter cooler, radiator, flywheel, and torque converter. I have the downpipe taken out as well and can keep that if necessary. Other than that I'm wondering what else I'll need to take off to do this swap. The only thing I can think of is the wiring harness, but I'm not sure If i need it or if I can use the one from my 240. If theres anything I'm missing, or any other parts that would be useful to have I'd appreciate the input! Thanks. (Also if anyone wants a 940 wagon shell in southern California and has the means to tow it I have one!)

You have a wiring harness you can use in the 240. I wouldn't leave the 940 a rolling shell because the rear axle has a G80 that you can use for your 240.

I would take at least some of the wiring and connectors from the parts car because you may need some to splice in a connection or two and it's nice to have the same color codes and connectors to work with.

You'll want the turbo LH2.4 ECU and EZK boxes, plus the injector resistor pack with wiring harness.

Re-use your 240 engine harness, but keep the MAF connector and extra wire from the 940 so that you can relocate the MAF.

You'll need some sort of air filter for the 240 - the 940 Turbo air filter box doesn't fit, but can be hacked, or a gutted B21FT k-jet box, or a diesel box, or an aftermarket cone filter. Keep the turbo&intercooler air hoses too - I'm not sure if they'll fit perfectly but some should be reusable.

I'd pull all the 940 relays too just so that you have spares.

im doing a similar swap in my 242 gt, the engine i have is a 91 b230ft. im wondering if i can use the flywheel from the m46 that was originally in the gt? and correct if i'm wrong but ive read that i need a 2.4 harness from a naturally aspirated 240? thanks

im doing a similar swap in my 242 gt, the engine i have is a 91 b230ft. im wondering if i can use the flywheel from the m46 that was originally in the gt? and correct if i'm wrong but ive read that i need a 2.4 harness from a naturally aspirated 240? thanks

You will have to get the flat flywheel machined for 60-2 triggering, or a dished flywheel and clutch PP setup, but that won't hold power for long (which could be a good thing for the M46)

Hello Everyone! I recently purchased a non-op 1994 940 turbo wagon. I've just gotten done taking out the engine and putting it on a mount to work on some modifications before I put it in to my 1989 5 speed 240DL wagon. I need to get rid of the 940 soon to free up space in the driveway and I want to make sure I have everything I need before I get it towed to the junk yard. This is my first time doing a swap like this so I'm not incredibly informed on what the entire process is. So far I've kept the engine with all the accessories and intake on it and left the transmission in the car (it was no good, and I plan on using my M47 5 speed). Other than that I've kept the inter cooler, radiator, flywheel, and torque converter. I have the downpipe taken out as well and can keep that if necessary. Other than that I'm wondering what else I'll need to take off to do this swap. The only thing I can think of is the wiring harness, but I'm not sure If i need it or if I can use the one from my 240. If theres anything I'm missing, or any other parts that would be useful to have I'd appreciate the input! Thanks. (Also if anyone wants a 940 wagon shell in southern California and has the means to tow it I have one!)

I have done a similar swap with a 92 740T into a 90 245. I was able to use everything from the 740, larger radiator, intercooler and plumbing. I link you to my build I had a lot of questions answered for me in that post.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=325339&highlight=dadssleeper

You will have to get the flat flywheel machined for 60-2 triggering, or a dished flywheel and clutch PP setup, but that won't hold power for long (which could be a good thing for the M46)

any idea if i will need to modify a flywheel for bolting up an m47? I have an m47 and flywheel that i pulled from a junkyard car a few years back. The only problem is i didn't check what type of ignition system that car had.

any idea if i will need to modify a flywheel for bolting up an m47? I have an m47 and flywheel that i pulled from a junkyard car a few years back. The only problem is i didn't check what type of ignition system that car had.

Whats the year of the car that you pulled the flywheel from?

Does the flywheel have 60-2 teeth on the edge? That's what you need for lh2.4

so if I'm swapping lh2.4 and using the 1993 940 turbo ecu, can I use the block mounted distributor from the 1979 GT on the 93 block because of the clearance issues with the fire wall? I have the 2.4 N/A harness, the 940s engine and computers. I plan to do an electric fan conversion as well. I believe the last piece of the puzzle that I need is the resistor pack for the injectors.

so if I'm swapping lh2.4 and using the 1993 940 turbo ecu, can I use the block mounted distributor from the 1979 GT on the 93 block because of the clearance issues with the fire wall? I have the 2.4 N/A harness, the 940s engine and computers. I plan to do an electric fan conversion as well. I believe the last piece of the puzzle that I need is the resistor pack for the injectors.

You don't need the resistor pack as you can use injectors from the fwd t5 models. These are easy to find in the junkyard or from a member on the forum. You need an Lh 2.4 distributor, you may also need the auxillary shaft from a 240 engine if you don't already have one. The 940 engine won't have the gears machined on the shaft.

Back