• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Atom's Amazon Wagon Project Update Thread

I liked the grills silver. Black they look cheap for some reason. Wonder if they would look good if the enire grill assembly was powder coated chrome (not quite chrome).

(DISCLAIMER: I've wondered on powder coating a lot and what sounds good in my head, doesn't always look good real life. :lol:
I've had to redo a few pieces. :oops:)

Ok, bear with me here, this may sound dumb, but I wanted it to look cheap. To be more clear, I wanted it to look like an OEM newer car piece. Sort of plastic-y (I may make another one out of plastic one day, but that’s a later thing). If you look close, I intentionally left three hex openings not cut out along the bottom of the grille. That’s to make it apparent that it’s not just a piece of perforated metal stuck behind the opening. OEM grilles always seem to have openings cut through and some not because of mounting tabs and such. I don’t know. Easy to change out later, but that was my thought process.

Ok, bear with me here, this may sound dumb, but I wanted it to look cheap. To be more clear, I wanted it to look like an OEM newer car piece. Sort of plastic-y (I may make another one out of plastic one day, but that?s a later thing). If you look close, I intentionally left three hex openings not cut out along the bottom of the grille. That?s to make it apparent that it?s not just a piece of perforated metal stuck behind the opening. OEM grilles always seem to have openings cut through and some not because of mounting tabs and such. I don?t know. Easy to change out later, but that was my thought process.
I understand your reasoning now. It does look oem plasticish. That's also the reason I liked it silver better though. Plastic on a 60's car just doesn't fit well imo.
I'm not criticizing by the way, just discussing and thinking out loud. I very much respect and envy your skill set.

I understand your reasoning now. It does look oem plasticish. That's also the reason I liked it silver better though. Plastic on a 60's car just doesn't fit well imo.
I'm not criticizing by the way, just discussing and thinking out loud. I very much respect and envy your skill set.

No sweat. Just walking you through my thought process. I?m good with thinking out loud.

Welding and grinding in the dark. Hahahaaa...

fdff968676cc9448fb4910bb490a9f27.jpg
6fa105229b2e7aafffa78fa169bf6e51.jpg

It’s more “flat panel” than I wanted, but I need clearance for the bracing on the hood, I need pockets for hinges (or latches), and I just wanted it done. Hopefully this weekend the front sheet metal (besides the hood) can go on for the last time.

Another question for some round fender volvo guys. I made fender badges last time around that said 223GT (as a play on 200/123GT), but now with the BMW bits I’m thinking of making new badges. Was thinking maybe 325GT or 225GT? Any ideas?

Pic for reference:

05eca5a7e3b070952a8e58864014d541.jpg

I think 225GT. Or 322S... but it’ll always be a 220 in my eyes. Probably the baddest 220 in the pnw, with mine bringing up the other end of the spectrum there.

Interested in selling your old badges?

I think 225GT. Or 322S... but it?ll always be a 220 in my eyes. Probably the baddest 220 in the pnw, with mine bringing up the other end of the spectrum there.

Interested in selling your old badges?

You wouldn?t want them. They are crude cutouts with stickers applied. If you want some, I?ll be drawing it up in CAD and cutting my own. I should be able to make you a set withwhatever you want on them. Just let me know.

Those moving blankets are the best.

Also, nice grille.

Moving blankets, tape measures and flashlights. Things I can never seem to have enough of.

Only got about four hours in today. Also only got about halfway to where I wanted to be today before the sun went away and it got coooold. Story of my life it seems these days.

bb9182883b96e4cc256bd0ff4a4cfc74.jpg
6e76ea75a450e4ebb10ee16641cad81a.jpg
a25200fcee6b44881bd62ded99638fc1.jpg

I just want to be able to put the front clip back on tomorrow. We?ll see.

Easy bake oven

130f3eff6bd470c26a080c0598b8a04b.jpg

That’s as far as I got this weekend. Gonna try to finish up the front lighting after work this week and give it a bath since the major fabrication is almost done.

13da199197d140d0decbd95175fa7076.jpg

Looks great. But what?s the story on that oil cooler?

It?s the stock E30 oil cooler and stock location. The Amazon bumper ?should? fit over it. Might need to trim an opening to allow for airflow. We?ll see soon enough.

Got all the front lights working tonight. Still need to aim the headlights, but this is almost as momentous as the day I drove it around the block the first time. To get from where the wagon was when I got it to here is a pretty big deal. I’m stoked.

8f854ede27e3df07f65405d0b5ff3242.jpg

If there's any graphic designers watching this build that would be interested in comping some time on a project for the Amazon, message me for details. Thanks!!

Back