• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Timing belt slip

I’m about to head over and put the belt on again. It’s a brand new belt and it should stay on this time. I just hope it’s not completely crapped nkw

My brother had a problem where his belt would slide forward into the cover and cause a burning plastic smell, I'm pretty sure he just swapped the tensioner pulley with a new one from fcp Euro and it was good to go. And yes, 940 with the b230 are non interference so no harm done

4 cylinder engines are non interference motors.
Careful with this statement...
8-valve 4 cylinder engines with factory cams are non interference. Some serious performance cams have enough lift for the valves to contact piston.
Volvo 16 valve 4 cylinders are absolutely interference.

Then you have bent valves.

Not necessarily. Then a valve would have to be stuck open at near full lift. Who says this was the case?

OP what do you mean with "slip"? Can you clarify what exactly happened?

A lot of times it’s rpm dependent. I’ve see people snap belts on interference engines when the go to start it and they put a new one on and it was fine.

OP let us know

It fell off while it was running. Don’t know the cause because it was running fine before, and now that I have it retimed and rebelted it won’t start. Fml

Yeah it was off the aux shaft. And there was oil everywhere cause the breather box hose broke so that’s my guess is oil

Back