• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

DriftsNLifts Header dyno test

No... It demonstrates a lack of a matching system that would result in improved performance. What part of this video includes dyno graphs or tune information that shows what changes the header made? I would bet money that the power curves and optimal tune DID change between the stock and aftermarket header.

Not only that, but THE INTAKE, MAN.... How is this all the ?head?s problem? and not the intake?s at all? I bet you it?s a combination of both, but definitely not limited to the head.

Right.
The vid is the equivalent of somebody saying "I dino-ed a trillion mile motor after I put this cam on the right (and did nothing else) and it didn't do a thing..That proves the blah blah blah is makes no more powerz than the stock cam on the left!"
Styles_Cosworth_block_and_Pistons01.JPG

Proves nothing...except a basic lack of understanding of how motors work.

Yes!

back in 2006-2008 we managed to squeeze out 147whp on the RICA dyno. (fresh overhauled engine with flattop B230E pistons, decked 530-head, slotted H-cam, B234F injectors, LH2.4 remapped, EZ-K remapped, full 2.5" exhaust with absorption silencers, empty cat)

Using this very same engine we later tried swapping the newer style intake manifold for the older style (B230E) intake manifold. I clearly remember being disappointed because after all that work getting to make the newer throttlebody+TPS to work on that old style manifold it ran pretty much the same, hardly any improvement at all. (just a seat dyno assesment, we did not have it dynoed with the older style manifold.)
We went back to the newer manifold and called it good.
In those seasons that car was one of the fastest VOCH cars in NL.
Bummer to hear the K-jet intake manifold didn't work for you guys. I assume it needs the 16V throttle body(or larger) and an adapter for more plenum volume to work better. Or just the throttle body relocated to the front of the plenum(and still using a larger one), at least that's what Erland suggests.

That being said, how much was taken off the 530 head and what kind of gas did you guys need to run it on?

Kyle

God DAMMIT John. Will you just tell me which intake manifold to put on my Volvo already!

****!

God DAMMIT John. Will you just tell me which intake manifold to put on my Volvo already!

****!
Turbo? Any..It'll get in and the fraction of % of CFM can be made up for by turning up the BOOST.
THAT's the magic of turbos--it'll cram stuff on regardless of sh***ty intake... (go look at the disgusting intake candelabra on Ford Lima..:freak:After you wipe up the puke reflect that those cars make moar Powerz on average than Redblocks. With that junk mnaifolding.. When turbo-ed)

N.a.? Minimum 48 DCOES or maybe 45 ITBs

result=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kVRBJ0gPRg

Last edited:
Other than the fact that it has no plenum and small runners?

I have dyno'd over 133wchp with one and the stock airbox(pre-heat unblocked and re-routed for cold air), so it's possible to make more hp with it, at least.
I wonder what the VOC guys who are getting 180+ crank HP out of them are doing inside the manifold.

They aren't..

I asked a mutual accomplice of a friend, owner and head honcho at High Speed Engines...who mentioned a week ago he was mapping a VOC car..

I asked:
John Vanlandingham
to Bj?rn ?nvedh

hej Bj?rn ?nvedh! F?r ja fr?ga ett par -tre saker?
Hi Bj?rn! may I ask a coupla three things?
Det snackas s? mycket ren skit-prat h?rborta i U-landet USa om Volvo motorer o ?ven VOC o det ?r just VOC jag vill fr?ga om...
there's a lotta sh!t-talk over here in the third-world USA about Volvo motors and even VOC and its just VOC I want to ask about

F?rst....realistisk vad ser du att typiskt VOC motorer ger f?r hk o vridmoment?
lagligt VOC menar ja...
First...realistically what do you see a typical VOC motor give for HP and torque? legal VOC I mean

O sen av alla VOC godk?nda insugnings r?r, eller b??tre alla B21/B23/B230 insug, ?r det n?n meningfulla skilnader?

and then, of all the approved intake manifolds or better, all B21/B23/B230 intakes is there any meaningful differences?

Och sen,vad ser du som st?rsta restriktion i en typ VOC motor bortsett fr?n kam o komp?

And then. what do you see as the biggest restriction in a type VOC motor aside from cam and compression?

Och ren nyfilenhet vad ?r b?sta siffror du har sett i en VOC motor?

And out of pure curiosity what's the best numbers you have seen in a VOC motor?

Hoppas du ser detta..
Tackar! o h?lsninar fr?n Nord-v?stra USA.

Hope you see this, thanks, and greetings from the NW USA.

Here's the answer minutes ago

Bj?rn ?nvedh
Hej.... ca 150hk...
B?sta runt 165hk...
B230 ger mest hk mkt pga lite friare reglemente f?r B230 motorn...
Hela insugnings sidan ?r den st?rsta restriktorn

Hi! (typical) around 150hp
best round 165hp
B230 gives the most a lot on account of little freer regulations for the B230 motor
The Whole intake side is the biggest restriction

Typical 150...same as 25 tears ago
best around 165...same as about 25 years ago

and miraculously

same as 35---40 years ago "the whole intake side" is the biggest restriction..

Sorry boys...Some of us have paid the rent making high hp n.a. motors and some of us are lucky to know guys who have been doing serious profession work for competition with much deeper fields for guys a lot more dedicated and a lot more demanding for even longer who they can call and ask and not waste time talking about some kid in a garage blabbing about some worn out junk stock junk.
That's why I said move to TBOT cause that's where this vid and most of the discussion belongs..

Right.
The vid is the equivalent of somebody saying "I dino-ed a trillion mile motor after I put this cam on the right (and did nothing else) and it didn't do a thing..That proves the blah blah blah is makes no more powerz than the stock cam on the left!"
To be fair though, that is a situation that a lot of those headers will be used in... So for those purposes, its not a bad test.

the TLDR, Might not be worth buying an exhaust header for your stock 300k 8v motor.

To be fair though, that is a situation that a lot of those headers will be used in... So for those purposes, its not a bad test.

the TLDR, Might not be worth buying an exhaust header for your stock 300k 8v motor.

TLDR...I always knew you were a lightweight whiner but ^ that is too long?
That's why you remain uninformed.
Here--as short as can be done just so you don't strain yourself and need to lie down.
People are saying VOC cars are making "180+ hp"
I asked one of Swedens top engine builders who was just recently mapping a VOC car; here is the answer:
Hi! (typical) around 150hp
best round 165hp
B230 gives the most a lot on account of little freer regulations for the B230 motor
The Whole intake side is the biggest restriction

and miraculously

I hope you're not too exhausted..Maybe sit down quietly for 5 minutes and rest.

Here--as short as can be done just so you don't strain yourself and need to lie down.
People are saying VOC cars are making "180+ hp"
I asked one of Swedens top engine builders who was just recently mapping a VOC car; here is the answer:

and miraculously

What are you jabbering on about now?

John, why must you be such a douche to as good of a guy as Ben? Did he (or anyone in this thread so far) instigate you?

Me, I can understand- I am the product of trying to have fun on a budget, but Ben produces top notch products shipped around the world, and most likeley run in your oh so holy rally cars (GASP).

So yeah, bully me for sharing and trying to appreciate the video, but not somebody who has earned more than their share of credibility.

John, why must you be such a douche to as good of a guy as Ben? Did he (or anyone in this thread so far) instigate you?

Me, I can understand- I am the product of trying to have fun on a budget, but Ben produces top notch products shipped around the world, and most likeley run in your oh so holy rally cars (GASP).

So yeah, bully me for sharing and trying to appreciate the video, but not somebody who has earned more than their share of credibility.

This sort of pure unadulterated Bullsh!t and your name calling is one reason I have gotten sick of Turbobricks and whiny ass boy-children. People post crap which is obvious and act as it it is some discovery..
and post BS claims like "VOC cars making 180+ hp"

Then I take the time to write a top and experienced engine builder with a REAL world wide reputation and ask him to clarify--since we were just a couple of weeks ago looking at him mapping on a dyno a VOC car and he is nice enough to answer something that has been hashed about for 15 years here----and Ben can't be troubled to read what would take approximate 2-3 minutes...Too Long Didn't Read...

That's pretty silly. And lazy..Douchey as you might say...if you were honest>

Do you cry in real life like this?

Believe whatever you want but there are some who appreciate solid information from well known and respected professionals who have been working on these motors since you and your buddies have been alive.

(A free pro-tip: collectively you don't have to learn from your own mistakes, you can learn from other's mistakes...

But you'll learn nothing useful if you don't try and whine at people who have done crazier **** than 99% are trying to do..and who share good information...even it's in a form you don't like)

Last edited:
Then I take the time to write a top and experienced engine builder with a REAL world wide reputation and ask him to clarify--since we were just a couple of weeks ago looking at him mapping on a dyno a VOC car and he is nice enough to answer something that has been hashed about for 15 years here----and Ben can't be troubled to read what would take approximate 2-3 minutes...Too Long Didn't Read...

I did read what you wrote and I thought it was interesting and good info but saying that

You really think that vid of a 22 y.o. kid screwing with a stock B230F and concluding that his customer "needs" a 531 head---and that sight unseen he's going to improve things by porting it belongs in "performance" and is "discussion" ?

This belongs in Off Topic..

the vid proves nothing because the 'test" proves nothing..

Is wrong, it does prove something. It proves that spending money on an exhaust header on a stock head with a regular old motor and a K cam doesn't make any additional power.

Problem is you are too old to understand the context in how TLDR was used.

I did read what you wrote and I thought it was interesting and good info but saying that

Is wrong, it does prove something. It proves that spending money on an exhaust header on a stock head with a regular old motor and a K cam doesn't make any additional power.

Problem is you are too old to understand the context in how TLDR was used.

Proves nothing to any person with even half a brain.

Back