• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1979 242 sunroof drain lines

volvo gt

Hello

California no longer has a drought that's for sure.
I noticed damp carpet on the passenger side a few days ago. I lifted the carpet and put a towel there to soak up the water.
The sunroof drain holes appear to be clear.
My question is, where do the sunroof drain lines empty out?
I wonder if anyone has a link or diagram they can share or advice?

Thank you

Sunroof drains in the front near the door hinge/light switch in the door jam. It goes down the A pillar then down behind the kick panel area and out the jam. Make sure that tube hasn't been pushed in.

The rears connect to the back of the sunroof tray and down the c pillar then through the trunk.

Sunroof drains in the front near the door hinge/light switch in the door jam. It goes down the A pillar then down behind the kick panel area and out the jam. Make sure that tube hasn't been pushed in.

The rears connect to the back of the sunroof tray and down the c pillar then through the trunk.

Thank you! It's been a very long time since I needed to check any of these.

You can use some air pressure applied to the drian hoses in the door hinge area and blow out any debris. Be sure to open the roof and cover the roof and interior in case something nasty comes out!

At this point, they may have shrunk and pulled off of the steel tube at the channel in the roof. Another member here had that problem with his GT. Both sides did the same thing.

The original tubing was hard as rock. It was really difficult to get out. Tip, if this is the case, use the old tubing to pull the new tubing down through the pillar. Just the way electrical wire is pulled through conduit. I made the mistake of pulling the old tubing out and then trying to feed the new tubing down through the pillar. It took forever. There are some sharp edges inside the pillar the tubing would run into and stop cold.

The original tubing had shrunk so much it was 3/4" from even touching the steel nipple, let alone, sliding onto it.

The original tubing was hard as rock. It was really difficult to get out. Tip, if this is the case, use the old tubing to pull the new tubing down through the pillar. Just the way electrical wire is pulled through conduit. I made the mistake of pulling the old tubing out and then trying to feed the new tubing down through the pillar. It took forever. There are some sharp edges inside the pillar the tubing would run into and stop cold.

The original tubing had shrunk so much it was 3/4" from even touching the steel nipple, let alone, sliding onto it.
Thanks you. who sells the tubing?
The drivers side tube is visible near the door hinge. The passenger side is pushed in and seems a bit short and the holder is gone.
I wonder if I should put some cat litter or other absorbent in the bottom of that pillar?
I would hate to have rust start if it has not already.

It has been nearly 20 years since I patched this. By the look in the picture, I got hose from a junker, but otherwise vinyl hose is sold at the hardware store.

sunroof01.jpg

sunroof02.jpg

sunroof03.jpg

It has been nearly 20 years since I patched this. By the look in the picture, I got hose from a junker, but otherwise vinyl hose is sold at the hardware store.

sunroof01.jpg

sunroof02.jpg

sunroof03.jpg

Thank you Sir. Pictures help a lot.

Both front holes drain perfectly now and no new tubes or parts were needed.
We changed the door hinges too while we had it all opened up. The rear sunroof drains will get
checked next time.

tb is very helpful!

Back