• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1975 to '78 240 Clutch and Pressure Plate Fit B18-20 Aluminum Flywheel

vintagewrench

This older never used well made six-bolt eight pound aluminum flywheel was found recently that will see racing use on a B18. Have heard that the the lighter 1975 to '78 coarse splined 240 clutch and pressure plate will interchange. Anyone know if a standard B18 throw out bearing will work with this setup or is a different one used? Anyone had good luck with Spec clutches https://www.specclutches.com or know of a better alternative?

Last edited:
I think I can get the Laplander clutch also.

Early 240's used the same clutch as B18/B20 AFAIK.

Thanks for all of the information. The flywheel came with a new LUK clutch and pressure plate. I have been told that the LUK plate has more clamping force than a F&S, could that be true? Is a LUC as strong and well made as a F&S?

My experience with LUK is they are not much use. Pressure plates tend not to have as much clamping force as they are supposed to and the friction material is poor quality. I have had some LUK clutches last a day and other last as long as 6 months if you got a really good one.

LUK and Sachs are now owned by the same company. With a lot of new LUK Volvo kits the LUK kit comes with a LUK box but a Sachs clutch kit

Early 240 clutches are the same and you can use a slightly later 240 cover (215mm type)

Another clutch option would be to go with a paddle clutch like so
https://www.classicswede.co.uk/NOS_AP_paddle_clutch_120_1800___140/p1733344_18262337.aspx

LUK are part of the Schaeffler group

That's what I said..What you said is that Sachs and LUK are owned by same company..Yep, here it is
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
LUK and Sachs are now owned by the same company
I thought that would come as a surprise to the stock holders and managers at Sachs and LuK since they are separate companies...ZF Friedrichhafen is ZF and they own (now) Sachs...Schaefler (oder Sch?fler) is not ZF..

I am suggesting that you have been misinformed somehow.

Schaeffler Group owns the brands INA, FAG and LuK.
In 2001, Sachs was sold to ZF Friedrichshafen AG, and renamed to ZF Sachs AG. It was formerly known as Fichtel & Sachs.
I believe Mr. John V is correct.
Steve

It appears that this "Swiss Cheese" lightweight style of late 240 pressure plate will work well for road racing with a modified 150-175 hp B18/20 racing engine, what range of years was this style used on 240 models? I also need to get a good heavy duty 10 spline 8.5" 1975 to '78 clutch plate. Does Sachs sell these pieces separately? I assume the late 240 throw out bearing with an extension is the one to use?

That looks like the standard pressure plate used on all B18/B20/B21/B23 with a flat flywheel.

1209884_1.jpg

Sachs makes a heavy duty version of that plate. Unfortunately they don't make a heavy duty disc for it.

http://www.race-clutch.com/results,1-50?keyword=883082+999766&searchwordsugg=&limitstart=0&option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=0

You can get a heady duty disc made by one of the aftermarket clutch manufacturers but you may find the clutch material is too thick and the clutch won't release unless you place washers between the pressure plate and flywheel.

The throw out bearing used depends on the manufacturer of the clutch. Borg & Beck pressure plates use the long (672122) t/o bearing while Sachs clutches use the short (3549881) t/o bearing.

That looks like the standard pressure plate used on all B18/B20/B21/B23 with a flat flywheel.

1209884_1.jpg

Sachs makes a heavy duty version of that plate. Unfortunately they don't make a heavy duty disc for it.

Ian, once again thanks for all of your help.

Last edited:
Back