• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1994 & 1995 940 questions

deadken

I have a 1992 940T with the original block and non LSD rear. I was thinking of picking up a 1994 or 1995 parts car to grab the rear end and squirter block from. So my first questions are:
1) Do I have it correct that all 1994 & 1995 blocks have squirters?
If I remember correctly, some 1993's have them but all US cars in 94 & 95 have them.

2) Do I have it correct that all 1994 & 1995 US cars have Limited Slip Differentials? Again, I remember reading that they do, but I wanted to ask before I buy a car.

I also would like to remove my R12 AC system and install the later R 134 AC system.

3) Any feelings on me swapping everything from the AC over?

4) Any idea if I am going to need to change over the engine harness or the dash harness?
From what I saw on the 1995 car I'm looking at, it has a snowflake on the MCC rather than the AC Off writing.

I also wouldn't mind installing the later glass moon roof, if the latter car has it (my 1992 has the metal sun roof). The 1995 car I looked at today has a manual moon roof, which I hadn't even seen before (in a Volvo 940).

When I looked under the car, I saw that there was a sensor on the rear end cover which made me realize that I should be sure that it will swap into my 1992 without issues.

5) Anyone know where to find what rear end ratios each rear has?

6) Lastly, what else should I look to swap into my 1992?

Obviously, I'll take the door cards if the map pockets are in better shape. But really...

7) What things did they refine better in the last year US 940's?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.

940's don't have an LSD, what they have is an ALD (automatic locking differential). They are different to how an LSD works. What are you trying to accomplish firstly? If you already have a 940 turbo, why do you want to buy another car?

The idea is to get a few performance parts for my other car. I like my 1992 940T and am happy with the car. I see no reason to spend a few hundred dollars on a 'locking' differential and then have to transport it home (not always an easy task), when I could just drive the entire car home, take off everything I want and then have someone tow it away for free (so that he gets the scrap value).

I figured that I'd ask here, but if necessary I'll jack up the car and check the rear end myself before purchasing.

My car is a turbo that has a straight clean body and pretty good interior. If I could find a 1994 or 1995 car with all the features that I want for a price that is fair, I'd buy it and drive it. FWIW: I bought 15A's 1992 745T and he had swapped in a R-134 AC system as well as a moon roof. I like them enough that I'm considering doing the swap for my 1992 940T. And, perhaps I should point out that I shelled out about $5k for 15A's car, bought sight unseen, and then went to get it (it was in Ohio and I am in New York). So, please don't think that I'm cheap, afraid to do the necessary work, or to spend the right money on the right car.

It might be a better idea to upgrade your current car, instead of wrecking a good donor vehicle, these cars are rare enough as it is. What parts do you need for it? You could always place a wanted post in the wanted section

95 will be the only year that will have a glass sunroof. I've done this swap many times. But you can get the glass sunroof from 960s, s90/v90s as well. Rule of thumb, all 93 and up turbos will have 3.73 gears and a g80. All 940 n/a models from 92 and up will have 4.10 gears and a g80 as well. That gives you an idea if you buy a parts car what it will come with. The main issue with 940s is that all the harnesses are bundled together. If you absolutely want everything like a 94-95 setup, you would need to swap the entire loom from the car or you can hack stuff together which I wouldn't recommend but at the end of the day, it's your car and you can do as you please. Most people will just do a retrofit for r-134a and that works out pretty well.

Nice 15A's wagon looked really sweet and well sorted. Can confirm the 95+ 940 960 s90 v90 glass moonroofs will all work

There is also a slightly different glass moonroof from 93-94 960 that has a trim piece around it, instead of full glass...I swapped one of these into my 760 years ago as couldn't find a v90 or 960 wagon at the time.

Another benefit is the 960 headliner swaps in also, one I have is much nicer material, and my stock 87 was falling apart

95 will be the only year that will have a glass sunroof. I've done this swap many times. But you can get the glass sunroof from 960s, s90/v90s as well. Rule of thumb, all 93 and up turbos will have 3.73 gears and a g80. All 940 n/a models from 92 and up will have 4.10 gears and a g80 as well. That gives you an idea if you buy a parts car what it will come with. The main issue with 940s is that all the harnesses are bundled together. If you absolutely want everything like a 94-95 setup, you would need to swap the entire loom from the car or you can hack stuff together which I wouldn't recommend but at the end of the day, it's your car and you can do as you please. Most people will just do a retrofit for r-134a and that works out pretty well.

Thank you! This is much of the information that I was looking for!

Now, I'll need to find out what rear end ratio my 1992 940T has. Perhaps someone will post here the marking to look for. If not, I can search around the forums...

For what it is worth, I have confirmed that the later MCC's (the ones with the snow flake (in is on), compared to the 'AC Off' (in is off)) will swap in without any changes.

Can I ask about the R134a retrofit? Honestly, everything that I have heard is that they don't work well. The R134a requires a higher pressure which causes the condenser to fail. That is largely the reason why I want a later AC system.

Thank you! This is much of the information that I was looking for!

Now, I'll need to find out what rear end ratio my 1992 940T has. Perhaps someone will post here the marking to look for. If not, I can search around the forums...

For what it is worth, I have confirmed that the later MCC's (the ones with the snow flake (in is on), compared to the 'AC Off' (in is off)) will swap in without any changes.

Can I ask about the R134a retrofit? Honestly, everything that I have heard is that they don't work well. The R134a requires a higher pressure which causes the condenser to fail. That is largely the reason why I want a later AC system.

The information above is mostly correct. All US market 7-9 turbos were supposed to come with the G-80 starting in 1991. All US market 940s were supposed to come with the G-80 starting in the 1993 model year. The ratios are correct. Turbos with an automatic got the 3.73 gears. NA cars with an automatic got the 4.10 gears. 1991 740 turbos with a manual transmission do exist. They are rare. Those have a 3.54 ratio differential. The wiring in your 92 as far as the AC is concerned is the same as 93-95 940s. Just swap in the dryer, AC lines, condenser and compressor and you will have the same system a 93-95 940 came with. The different looking control panel will swap right in. The only difference is it makes sense. You push the frost button in to turn on the AC. On the one that came in your car, you push the button in to turn off the AC. That makes no sense to people. They run around in their 7-9s with the AC on without realizing that is the case. The later ECU and EZK are better designs. If you get a later parts car, swap those in.

Your 1992 should already have a G-80 in it. Look for the tag shown above. It's easy to test for the G-80.

Automatic climate control does not just "swap in" plug and play. There is a lot involved. Are you sure you understand how both systems work?

None of the US market 940s came with automatic climate control, other than the 1991 SE. He is describing the difference between a 1992 R-12 system and the 1993-95 R-134 system and whether or not they can be changed over. The answer is, yes. It is as straight forward as it gets. All the parts directly interchange.

Back