• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AQ125 with a '160' head

deadken

Hey guys,

While keeping my eyes open for a AQ engine with a 531 head, I came across a AQ125 A (production date of around 1989) engine that has a 160 head on it. From what I can guess, this engine is a 2.1L. So, I figured that I would ask here how it stacks up to a 531.

For what it is worth, I also have a 1980 242. So, if this AQ125 has better bits that I could still use on my 242, I'd love to hear about it.

Lastly, I live in Freeport, NY. Which is on the South shore of Long Island. Since we are surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, I worry that most any engine I find around here will have been a salt water engine. Any quick tips on how to gauge if the salt water has wrecked parts that I find (specifically the #4 exhaust port that seems to be prone to salt water damage)?

125A is an earlier then 89 motor probably why it has the earlier 160 head on it or someone changed it. The 160 heads came on cars early 80's. Same as 530, not same as 531. Also being a 125A it is center thrust crankshaft bearing. I have stock in my 1986 Bayliner 19.5 capri a aq125B 2.1 liter with a 531 head. The B came after the A and before the C which would be rear thrust, the C that is.

I'd keep looking, get a 151c or 250a, those are 2.5L steel stroker rear thrust with 531 head, V cam and dual carbs. Same motor they just changed the name from 151 to 250.

Hey guys,

While keeping my eyes open for a AQ engine with a 531 head, I came across a AQ125 A (production date of around 1989) engine that has a 160 head on it. From what I can guess, this engine is a 2.1L. So, I figured that I would ask here how it stacks up to a 531.

For what it is worth, I also have a 1980 242. So, if this AQ125 has better bits that I could still use on my 242, I'd love to hear about it.

Lastly, I live in Freeport, NY. Which is on the South shore of Long Island. Since we are surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, I worry that most any engine I find around here will have been a salt water engine. Any quick tips on how to gauge if the salt water has wrecked parts that I find (specifically the #4 exhaust port that seems to be prone to salt water damage)?

I saw that engine on CL too.

Back