• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

850R whining when cold (Steering assembly)

Ian210

Hey all,

I've recently noticed when cold something in the steering assembly of my 850R seems to have a high pitched whine when turning the wheel and a bit after straightening out. Not as if the rack/pump is going out but more of a consistant whine even after turning. It only lasts a couple seconds. There is sufficient oil in the pump and I recently replaced the steering rack. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Oil type and quality make a difference. The pumps start whining with miles as well.
I replaced the pump along with the rack, it could possibly be the oil I'm running. Might be worth it to flush the system and replace the oil with some higher quality stuff.

Definitely can make a big difference.

I normally run M1 ATF in my wagon for trans and power steering, so I ran that in the R as well, never had an issue, pump was noisy at 160k, finally swapped it out at 300k since I found a very low mileage one.

Definitely can make a big difference.

I normally run M1 ATF in my wagon for trans and power steering, so I ran that in the R as well, never had an issue, pump was noisy at 160k, finally swapped it out at 300k since I found a very low mileage one.

Thanks for the input! I?ve always ran either CFE or Volvo stuff in my R. Never had any issues until now. Will probably use some of the stuff that I currently have and if not maybe try running something else.

Cheers
-Ian

I had a ps pump puke the bearing shaft out while on a cross country road trip. Was whining a lil at startup so I didn’t think much about it then 500 miles down the road the whole bearing on the pulley fell out while driving. Left me stranded in middle of nowhere Wyoming for 2 days till I could get a new part at napa. If it were me I’d put a new pump on

If it were me, I'd put a used pump on. I've installed up to three or four reman pumps on a car before I got a good one that didn't leak or moan. We have see the rack do it too.

Start with a few flushes first. I use a mityvac shop air powered suction tank to pull out the old fluid and then add more fluid to create a dilution of the solution.

Good point Zach. A LOT of the reman pumps are complete junk. I hit a few chain stores for one for the Dodge, noisy as hell when dry, massive end play, whatever. Finally bought one from RockAuto that's refurb'd in Minnesota, thing was tight, but once it got fluid in and spun a couple times, buttery smooth, quiet, no play, pretty impressed. Think it was Lares brand, been a while.

In my case I found a 97 at the yard with 89k on it, grabbed the pump, alternator, tensioner and idlers from it, quieted everything down nicely.

Why did you replace the first one? When they go they normally fill the whole system with shavings in my experience. Same thing with AC compressors. Machined clearances don't like that as you can imagine

Back