home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > website & board

Old 02-12-2018, 02:43 AM   #1
Furthermore

Default Introducing, me

Hiya everyone. I've been reading this forum for months, but never really had anything to say.

I used to build VW's even got two cars into eurotuner back in 2002-4ish. But then I got really sick, and really haven't gotten much better.

While my real favorites are the 240 or earlier, I found this while perusing craigslist and wanted to get the opinions from people who know these cars better than I.

https://scranton.craigslist.org/cto/...467850031.html

I am currently driving a 96 VW jetta vr6 that was halfway set up as a daily/autocross car with fully adjustable coilovers, swaybars, and poly everything. I got sick in the middle of building the car though, and the turbo kit I bought has been sitting in my basement for over 12 years... and now even though the car only has 88k miles it's starting to rot on me.

So my questions are, does that 940 look like a good candidate for a mild build?
Is there anything specific I need to look out for?
I wish it was a wagon, but it still sounds like a nice car.

I have a t3/t4 .54ar that is ready to go, but I think that's a little bit too big? Also I don't know how it would mount to the exhaust manifold?

How are the stock auto trans at holding extra power? I have the stuff to turn the boost up already, but it's going to be a while before I can get a T5 ready with everything else.

Sorry for the long post, I have a tendency to rant and or ramble when I type.
Thanks in advance and hiya everyone.
Furthermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #2
boostdemon
creative mastermind

Cool welcome. Sounds like you'll fit right in.
I dont think a t3/4 hybrid with a .54 ar is too big.

"Flathood" Owners | Motorcyclists | Guitarists
boostdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:00 PM   #3
Wookie drift missle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furthermore View Post
Hiya everyone. I've been reading this forum for months, but never really had anything to say.

I used to build VW's even got two cars into eurotuner back in 2002-4ish. But then I got really sick, and really haven't gotten much better.

While my real favorites are the 240 or earlier, I found this while perusing craigslist and wanted to get the opinions from people who know these cars better than I.

https://scranton.craigslist.org/cto/...467850031.html

I am currently driving a 96 VW jetta vr6 that was halfway set up as a daily/autocross car with fully adjustable coilovers, swaybars, and poly everything. I got sick in the middle of building the car though, and the turbo kit I bought has been sitting in my basement for over 12 years... and now even though the car only has 88k miles it's starting to rot on me.

So my questions are, does that 940 look like a good candidate for a mild build?
Is there anything specific I need to look out for?
I wish it was a wagon, but it still sounds like a nice car.

I have a t3/t4 .54ar that is ready to go, but I think that's a little bit too big? Also I don't know how it would mount to the exhaust manifold?

How are the stock auto trans at holding extra power? I have the stuff to turn the boost up already, but it's going to be a while before I can get a T5 ready with everything else.

Sorry for the long post, I have a tendency to rant and or ramble when I type.
Thanks in advance and hiya everyone.
If you buy a 940, I will ban you.240 is always the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Any thread about cut springs, & or +T on a college students budget shall be sent to OT, flogged for 24 hours, participants in said thread shall point the OP in the correct thread link while simultaneously shaming them
240240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:50 PM   #4
white855T
Board Member

Offer the seller 700-800. Work out a deal if you really like the car. You can't go wrong with that 940 turbo. Once you acquire a car, you need to acquaint yourself with how the turbo is setup in the engine bay. You more than likely will be able to use the stock exhaust manifold but it will require large studs m10x1.5 which isn't a big deal to do(you could have a machine shop do it). It will also require custom oil feed/drain lines. Possibly a new down pipe unless you modify the stock down pipe to work with the exhaust outlet of your t3 turbo. You could also go with an aftermarket header but it will be pricey(depending on where you source the header) unless you can fabricate something yourself. The stock exhaust manifold is good for mild builds.

The autotragic is good for mild builds too but nothing beats a manual of course. Look up the 'accumlator mod' to have a better shifting transmission which will suffice until you do a manual swap.

Most of all, have fun doing it.

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301654
white855T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:55 AM   #5
Furthermore

Thanks for the replies everyone.

If I could afford a 240, I'd be driving one lol... Although my dream is a p1800 es with a mild turbo swap... or an Amazon with an ls... I just wish I had my ex's old 240 wagon it had the limited slip and was super fun in the wet/slush... but I have no clue where it's gone by now.

As soon as I finish welding the floor up in my mustang and get it sold, then I'll be looking for a fun car.
Right now I just need something to replace the Jetta that's not going to be boring, and that I can tinker with to make better.
Furthermore is offline   Reply With Quote