• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

[240] SKF Rear axle bearings not so sturdy under side loads?

DrZiplok

When your Redline CV2 is silver, and things are coming apart like this after a weekend:

this doesn't seem right. Was SKF the wrong choice? This is the second set that have done this; the first time we didn't catch it until that loose ring was nearly completely gone.

SKF is oem. Not sure if anything that comes in the blue box would be any better.

I wonder if there is a higher load version of that bearing available...

If you are having rear axle failures and wheel bearing failures... you might want to examine your setup.. Its just not that common on these cars. Is something bent or rubbing?

I wonder what your axle temps are looking like?

This looks like another selling point for a floating setup if every thing else checks out.

When they were racing IPD had a bunch of failures. There used to be a double row rear axle bearing that IPD used to sell. It stuck out a bit more but had a double oring seal on it. I guess they no longer sell that. Will take a look at some of my old stuff and see what is there for more info.

If you are having rear axle failures and wheel bearing failures... you might want to examine your setup.. Its just not that common on these cars. Is something bent or rubbing?

Didn't they mount the axle tubes at an angle to the center section to gain rear camber on the actual group A cars (not the homo group A cars)and just let the axles flex? I bet they had to do bearings every race.

OK I found it. The bearing has Green RW-902-V on it as the description. No other markings other than a symbol on the box which I don't recognize. It does come up as an available bearing number on the interwebs. Maybe get something like that from Moser?

OK I found it. The bearing has Green RW-902-V on it as the description. No other markings other than a symbol on the box which I don't recognize. It does come up as an available bearing number on the interwebs. Maybe get something like that from Moser?

Thats a double row ball bearing?

Hows the inner seal? Axle looks like its wet from gear oil?

Inner seal looks fine, was brand new for this race. Axle in the pic is wet with diesel, it's sitting in the parts washer.

I don't have a non-fuzzy pic of the pre-washup bearing, but basically the grease (Redline CV2) was *loaded* with metal dust, almost like putty.

Green RW902V crosses directly with RW131R per Timken's bearing interchange guide. Toasted bearing at top of page is SKF GRW131R...

I've never tried talking to Moser; are they likely to be interested in finding a better bearing for such an oddball application?

IPD heavy duty rear wheel bearing.

OK Here are pics. I bought this because race car long ago. I didn't use them and ruined the other one taking it off. They stick out and require spacing the retainer plate. Washers included with the kit. Makes it hard install the ebrake and it was a stock street car so this went on the shelf.

Attachments

• 100_0696smaller.jpg
    100_0696smaller.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 320
  • 100_0697smaller.jpg
    100_0697smaller.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 319
  • 100_0698smaller.jpg
    100_0698smaller.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 318
  • 100_0699smaller.jpg
    100_0699smaller.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 318
  • 100_0702smaller.jpg
    100_0702smaller.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 312
Many thanks, failed to comprehend that you had one in hand. Time to go look for more cross-reference guides!

I just notice some slop in my rear axle bearings as well and also don't like this thread, makes me feel like replacing them won't do much for long...

I ran the other number (7451960 as best as I can read)on the bearings and it comes back as this:
https://spareto.com/oe/7451960
They list it as a jeep bearing, which makes sense because jeep also used a dana 30
Same number comes up as a 70s gm bearing

I bet someone at IPD still knows about this. Were they not restoring their old race car recently?

Are you shimming the axle for zero end-play when you replace the bearings?

We've always shimmed with a scrap of the dust shield (you can see it in the pic). Never any end play, no obvious drag due to preload. Obviously without it there's way too much preload and the bearing doesn't spin at all.

We've always shimmed with a scrap of the dust shield (you can see it in the pic). Never any end play, no obvious drag due to preload. Obviously without it there's way too much preload and the bearing doesn't spin at all.

Do you think its possible it is over shimmed and you are pressing the bearing cage into the rollers and thats why they ate the cage?

Back