• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Tires for my 1993 940 T, can't find a tire that works in the rain

I use dracos in my car, so I am stuck to 15" for the time being, and having been buying 185/65 R15 tires. Is there a better (more options) size for that rim?

Hard to beat the winterforce in snow and rain for the price, you'll get about 2-3 years out of them running year around, they are a bit noisy tho

for my winter and rain tires, i have nokin Hakkapeliitta 9's studded and Nokian wrg3s for the rainy season and so far they have been absolutely fantastic, super controllable when the grip does run out and amazingly drivable in the snow both of them

Hard to beat the winterforce in snow and rain for the price, you'll get about 2-3 years out of them running year around, they are a bit noisy tho

for my winter and rain tires, i have nokin Hakkapeliitta 9's studded and Nokian wrg3s for the rainy season and so far they have been absolutely fantastic, super controllable when the grip does run out and amazingly drivable in the snow both of them

Summer tires are better in rain, every time.

Good info on the new Conti's...debated those before my current set of Potenza's, probably will go Conti again next set.

For the OP, I've run the Conti DWS and the newer DWS06 on the wife's car with very solid results. Heavy rain, standing water, really no issues. The DWS were on her 850R, ran 2 sets. Had them on coming thru the mountains, hit some ice and they held surprisingly well, but that car also had TRACS to help. Never had an issue with hydroplaning as long as I was driving relatively sane. Her current car (V50T5 AWD) has the DWS06's on it. I've been thru some random standing water at 70mph and aside from the noise they just stuck. Can't really spin a tire on the car anyway, but tire grip has been great. Handling on the DWS06 is MUCH better than the previous DWS, meaning I can actually push the car a bit during the summer as well. It's still stock suspension-wise, also a grocery getter.

My findings with Conti have also found they have softer sidewalls than Falken and Bridgestone, so a much nicer ride. The only downfall is the corners aren't built up as much so they tend to wear the shoulders more than I'd like. They are also a good bit cheaper than some other options, also lighter.

Conti DWS 06 all day. We sell them to everybody who feels like spending real money on tires at the shop (high line euro shop), everybody I work with has them on their cars, and girlfriend has them on her F10 550i. They work very well for Portland (read: wet from september to may) weather and still stick rather well in the dry. The 550 has a hard time spinning them in the wet with a 400hp twin turbo v8 and a manual transmission.

I use Contis on the MB for all seasons. Almost as good as Michelin Pilot Sport in the summer, excellent in the rain and not scary in ice/snow. They last wayyy better then the pencil eraser Michelins and are quiet for 75% of their life.

Yep, I have super sports on my wagon and they suck under 40-45 degrees outside.

I use dracos in my car, so I am stuck to 15" for the time being, and having been buying 185/65 R15 tires. Is there a better (more options) size for that rim?

Dracos were OEM on 740 and 940 and they were fitted with 195/65x15 tires. It's a common size.

I have Conti DWS06 on all 3 of my cars, they are great in any weather when above half tread, under that and standing water becomes a bit of a problem if you are going fast. On my V50 T5 AWD they can go through any snow as long as its not much deeper than the bottom of the bumper, at that point the tires don't matter much anyway.

Back