• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Homer's 1990 240 redblock exorcism

Awww yiss.
Sitting at 1500 rpm idle, 105F ambient inlet temp and 63F vent outlet temp at full blower speed.
10406421_10102073305585949_8006475047317956747_n.jpg

After the maiden voyage. Almost froze myself out of the car. 80F ambient.
10341499_10102073788837509_9001097972655623500_n.jpg

I hate You a bit now :D

My BLACK with grey LEATHER car sits in the sun, no shade whatsoever anywhere near. I'm going to boil by the time I get home :D

Nice job!

ps. anymore info on the wiring part? It still trips my mind..

Vac'ing down with the 1930s frigidare compressor. Works wonderfully.
1505102_10102071190374849_8259706112495542890_n.jpg

-load of heat blocker.
10371715_10102072020940389_5066530839871496937_n.jpg

Nice!
This is the most common way of vaccing systems in Mexico haha!

Also, why not build a heat shield for the turbine housing?
Looks like you charged by weight, even though you made a custom setup. Why didn't you add a high pressure fitting to charge by running pressures?

I hate You a bit now :D

My BLACK with grey LEATHER car sits in the sun, no shade whatsoever anywhere near. I'm going to boil by the time I get home :D

Nice job!

ps. anymore info on the wiring part? It still trips my mind..
No more info. It's really that simple. Assuming your car came with AC you should only have to figure out the compressor connections and hook up the clutch wire. I'm not doing the work for you. ;-)

You're doing too much, do less.
I washed the car?
Nice!
This is the most common way of vaccing systems in Mexico haha!

Also, why not build a heat shield for the turbine housing?
Looks like you charged by weight, even though you made a custom setup. Why didn't you add a high pressure fitting to charge by running pressures?
Why not? Because the downpipe gets hot too. If you're asking in addition, eh I dunno. Not worried about it. The heat shield keeps the temps in the corner more than 100 deg lower.
It's a bit too late for that fitting now isn't it. ;-) I did consider adding one but it just didn't happen.

The system seems to be cooling just fine. I'm happy.

Last edited:
No more info. It's really that simple. Assuming your car came with AC you should only have to figure out the compressor connections and hook up the clutch wire. I'm not doing the work for you. ;-)
Wasn't asking for that... looked at the LH wiring and You didn't have much to figure out. Lucky You.
Cars with motro 1.8 each signal from the press. sensors and temp. sensor are going to the ECU. Not so lucky me. Thinking about retrofitting the LH wiring AC related parts... :grrr:

Wasn't asking for that... looked at the LH wiring and You didn't have much to figure out. Lucky You.
Cars with motro 1.8 each signal from the press. sensors and temp. sensor are going to the ECU. Not so lucky me. Thinking about retrofitting the LH wiring AC related parts... :grrr:

Yeah unfortunately VEMS really isn't well equipped to deal with that.

Nice work, that. What a cool project.
Much appreciated!

Though about just leaving the factory ecu in place and wiring vems around it actually control the engine?

Though about just leaving the factory ecu in place and wiring vems around it actually control the engine?

Yeah, thought about that, too. Problems: RPM signal is a must (AFAIK, at least ECT is) splitting the VR and Hall signal won't do any good to VEMS, that SOB is kinda picky about signals. Temp signal comes from the back of the head in the 6cyl. In the t5 I have nothing there, again, don't want to split the ECT sensor's signal. And I destroyed the Motro1.8 ECU... :roll:

I'm wondering if I could simple run relays for the high and low pressure sensors. I just have no idea what kind of signal they are sending...

So I double checked the AC charge today by measuring evaporator superheat temp spread. Seems to be within spec. Inlet temp is 2.5 deg lower than the outlet. The ac (on recirc) can crank out 41 deg air with 80% ambient humidity and 80F temp. At idle. That's pretty good for a 240.

Yeah, thought about that, too. Problems: RPM signal is a must (AFAIK, at least ECT is) splitting the VR and Hall signal won't do any good to VEMS, that SOB is kinda picky about signals. Temp signal comes from the back of the head in the 6cyl. In the t5 I have nothing there, again, don't want to split the ECT sensor's signal. And I destroyed the Motro1.8 ECU... :roll:

I'm wondering if I could simple run relays for the high and low pressure sensors. I just have no idea what kind of signal they are sending...
High and low pressure sensors are straightforward. They just switch to ground. Simple on/off, unless its a post 95 car, then its a pressure sensor. The ECC/ECU gets an actual AC pressure reading.

Slowly ticking things off the to do list.
Since installing the AC i've noticed excessive heat buildup in the engine bay. It's affecting the alternator charge voltage.
I added a fan interrupt feature to turn the e-fan off above 40 mph, I'll be cutting some ventilation slots on the belly pan in a low pressure area and I added an alternator cooling duct to the back of the alternator.

Pictures.

And, sweet damn work. I haven't followed the thread, but decided to read the last few pages the other day. Love it. You're like my brother from another mother, doing it all, doing it all RIGHT. Keep it up!

Thanks Kyle!
Had some scrap SCAT ducting hanging around from an old test rig at work.
photo%25204.JPG

photo%25203.JPG

photo%25201.JPG

photo%25202.JPG

Right now it points generally at the rear ish area on the alternator but I'm considering making something like what BMWs use.
28865d1264222679-140-80-amp-alternator-eurp_0805_01_z-bmw_m3_alternator-our_new_140_amp_alternator.jpg

Back