home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2021, 12:02 AM   #1
940 16 valve
Board Member
 
940 16 valve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Default Who has altered their Ackermann ratio?

Wanted to hear people's experiences who have altered the Ackermann ratio on Ben's quick steer roll correctors when using the holes for the quicker steering ratio.
__________________
1991 940 - stock b234+t -retired http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=243308
1989 760 - T5 (B5254T2 with a 6 speed!) http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=341191
940 16 valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:23 AM   #2
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders
 
Alex Buchka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Default

I have the old version without adjustable Ackerman and the tires scrub pretty severely at full steering lock. Homer put the newer spacers on his car and it's buttery smooth at all angles. I think it's a worthwhile thing to adjust correctly.
Alex Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 01:07 AM   #3
klr142
Turbo, what?
 
klr142's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: OR
Default

Following!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Buchka View Post
I have the old version without adjustable Ackerman and the tires scrub pretty severely at full steering lock. Homer put the newer spacers on his car and it's buttery smooth at all angles. I think it's a worthwhile thing to adjust correctly.
I’m in the same boat! It’s so bad I have kept it on the stock steering quickness.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:00 AM   #4
VB242
Beep beep zip tang
 
VB242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Right Coast
Default

I had to use the 2 notch shim, the stock brake rotors rub on the qsrc on the 3 and 4 notch shims. I meant to grind the qsrc when I had the rotors off last time but forgot so I'm stuck. I would like to try the max setting 4 notch shim eventually. I don't notice any scrubbing though at this setting.
__________________
Deviant Volvo collector/cat herder.
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:14 AM   #5
Swedbrick
Board Member
 
Swedbrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Netherlands, Source of Grolsch
Default

On my txr qsrc's I played around a bit and 50% Ackerman seemed to increase cornering grip a bit with r15/60, pushing beyond that just resulted in more understeer. When I switched to r17/45 I switched back to the 100% Ackerman setup.

On those less Ackerman = more rub irrc, I just made up some stops on the rack. Those only have one quick steer setting, in contrast to the kalplenke ones
__________________
Volvo 745 - Turbo, LH2.4, M90 swap, IPD springs, 25mm/19mm swaybars, 3.54 \w racingdiff lsd, track/daily
---------------------------------
I sell LH2.4 Chips for Europe!

Last edited by Swedbrick; 07-31-2021 at 09:21 AM..
Swedbrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:01 PM   #6
blkaplan
50 shades of beige
 
blkaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rockville, MD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
I had to use the 2 notch shim, the stock brake rotors rub on the qsrc on the 3 and 4 notch shims. I meant to grind the qsrc when I had the rotors off last time but forgot so I'm stuck. I would like to try the max setting 4 notch shim eventually. I don't notice any scrubbing though at this setting.
If you upgrade the front brakes with our medium brake kit or our big brake kit you get a lot more clearance to play with.
__________________
www.BEIGEPOWER.com
Kaplhenke Racing Facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:20 PM   #7
sksmith
Board Member
 
sksmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Back in St. Louis, MO
Default

I had a boss named Ackermann. I left that job.
Does that mean I've altered my Ackermann ratio?
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:13 PM   #8
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III
 
culberro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 16 valve View Post
Wanted to hear people's experiences who have altered the Ackermann ratio on Ben's quick steer roll correctors when using the holes for the quicker steering ratio.
I have the older V1 (?) with adjustable ackerman, and I run them in the fastest setting on the 240 drift car.
I think it has the #3 setting currently, and the lead wheel (in drift, so inside wheel when turning) has about 10° less angle than the trailing/outside wheel at full lock. I'd like to get this to be a bit more parallel for drifting.
For every day driving it feels great, and works well on road courses as well.

I'm going to be changing back to the middle setting, as steering forces are really high when doing fast high angle drift entries. I'll post back with what ackerman plate I end up using to get the toe change where I *think* it needs to be.
__________________
Cult Person. Pissing in your Kool-Aid.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:01 PM   #9
blkaplan
50 shades of beige
 
blkaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rockville, MD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
I have the older V1 (?) with adjustable ackerman, and I run them in the fastest setting on the 240 drift car.
I think it has the #3 setting currently, and the lead wheel (in drift, so inside wheel when turning) has about 10° less angle than the trailing/outside wheel at full lock. I'd like to get this to be a bit more parallel for drifting.
For every day driving it feels great, and works well on road courses as well.

I'm going to be changing back to the middle setting, as steering forces are really high when doing fast high angle drift entries. I'll post back with what ackerman plate I end up using to get the toe change where I *think* it needs to be.
Good feed back!
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:02 PM   #10
mikep
The MP
 
mikep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: 38° 27' N 75° 29' W
Default

I changed mine once.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan29 View Post
RBS 69:420: "I’ve said these things to you so that you will have peace in me. With this order you have distress. But be encouraged! I have many more orders to fill and a sick new shirt dropping next week.”
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:27 AM   #11
klr142
Turbo, what?
 
klr142's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: OR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
I have the older V1 (?) with adjustable ackerman, and I run them in the fastest setting on the 240 drift car.
I think it has the #3 setting currently, and the lead wheel (in drift, so inside wheel when turning) has about 10° less angle than the trailing/outside wheel at full lock. I'd like to get this to be a bit more parallel for drifting.
For every day driving it feels great, and works well on road courses as well.

I'm going to be changing back to the middle setting, as steering forces are really high when doing fast high angle drift entries. I'll post back with what ackerman plate I end up using to get the toe change where I *think* it needs to be.
I'd like to see your setup and what you're using to measure this stuff with sometime.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:24 AM   #12
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III
 
culberro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
I'd like to see your setup and what you're using to measure this stuff with sometime.
Shop floor, masking tape, toe plates, and a protractor.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:27 AM   #13
klr142
Turbo, what?
 
klr142's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: OR
Default

Hah! Awesome.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:40 PM   #14
940 16 valve
Board Member
 
940 16 valve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Default

Thanks for all the replies. I finally dug into this the other day. I wish I had known what I know now before I first installed them. I chatted with Ben and he suggested flipping the insert to move the bolt hole toward the midline.

With running the middle holes (20% quicker steering) on the QSRC's I was getting one tire dragging, but also the outside tire would hit the frame at full lock (stock 16's). I did a quick test drive after flipping the insert and doing an alignment and it seems like the tire is not dragging that I can notice now. Probably an equally nice side-effect is I don't think the tire hits the frame on at full lock now! The Ackerman may not be spot on, but I think this gives a better starting off point. Also when I initially installed everything initially I had to shorten my inner tie rods as they would bottom out in the tie rod end; I might have been able to get away without that if I had flipped the insert from the get-go. Hope this helps someone else in future.

So if this is how it comes

I removed the insert and flipped it to this orientation.


To give you an idea how much this moves things, I had almost 3" of total toe in after flipping the plates! A side note, cause this moves the tie rod pivot point outward relative the strut, it was slightly contacting the brake dust shield - enough to make it drag on the rotor. You just have to bend it at the front, a couple of hits with a drift and a hammer and you're good to go.
940 16 valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:43 PM   #15
mikep
The MP
 
mikep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: 38° 27' N 75° 29' W
Default

Yeah, you were in full dorifto mode. Glad you got it sorted.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.