• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Replace this Coffin Nose

OldCarNewTricks

Hello,

How difficult is it to get a flat hood nowadays? I'm thinking about swapping the coffin nose to the later style hood if it's too difficult to find one. They are all interchangeable, correct? I have no problem finding or modifying my grille.

Hello,

How difficult is it to get a flat hood nowadays? I'm thinking about swapping the coffin nose to the later style hood if it's too difficult to find one. They are all interchangeable, correct? I have no problem finding or modifying my grille.

Doesn?t the cowl have to be changed out also? I don?t think the creases in the hood line up if you go from coffin to flat.

Sure they do. Same body. They don't line up when you put a flat hood on an 86+ body.

I misread his post, definitely won’t be able to swap to a newer hood (OP’s backup plan) then without changing the cowl.

Hello,

They're very thin on the ground now, and at least $1K to ship if you can find someone willing box / crate it.

Thanks for the info, guys. Maybe I should just break out the welder and make one :lol: (because there's no way that could go wrong, right?)

$1000 is WAY too much for a hood. That's just too bad.

Thanks for the info, guys. Maybe I should just break out the welder and make one :lol: (because there's no way that could go wrong, right?)

$1000 is WAY too much for a hood. That's just too bad.

:uh:

That's just the shipping.

Like I said IF you can find someone willing to box / crate it and assume the risks involved in shipping such an awkward box.

<-- NB4 'Greyhound' yea no they don't accept car panels anymore due to afore mentioned damage problems.

Oh, as many say on that thread, its hardly noticeable. Perhaps a snub nose hood wouldn't look bad at all. Maybe I should try flattening the coffin nose first, though. I mean, just the protruding part. I was thinking of removing a couple inches of steel, and rewelding the nose back on. Just enough to were the hood latch handle is still hidden. Then I could tip the grille back to match.

The coffin nose hoods and grilles are plenty, so if it looks awful, I could get a new one....

You’re in the PNW, I doubt they’re anything approaching common there any more but your odds of finding one there are probably better than anywhere else in the country at this point. Just have to start shaking the bushes.

When you use the snub nose hood on the earlier cowl. You get cold air induction from the windshield. GM muscle car owners have to pay a lot to get that. J/K

I misread his post, definitely won?t be able to swap to a newer hood (OP?s backup plan) then without changing the cowl.

You can swap to an 86+ hood, it will be raised at the cowl area. I've seen it done and it doesn't look too bad.

Back