• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kyle's orphan 220 amazon wagon

I'd really like to rev it higher but I need to investigate there. The damn thing just doesn't want to rev past 6k. On the Dyno the power just dies, timing be damned. That and that ****ty t5 shake rattles the hell out of the shifter right around there.

Time for cams, springs (maybe?), and headwork I'd wager.

Ditch the ITB's if you go turbo. It makes tuning a hassle and adds a bunch of complexity for no appreciable performance gain. I'm eventually going to do some head work on my 242 and I'll convert back to a single throttle body at that point.

I don't have a ton of updates to this car mainly because it hasn't been a priority in my life in quite a while. I've been building my rabbit for the last year or so and this thing has been largely ignored. I did however throw on a set of sweet Marchal fogs on. Haven't wired them up but they are at least looking cool.

hd3Dg0R.jpg

Today however, I'm finding myself evaluating what the car needs. It has suddenly made the short list of possible candidates to make the trip to mountain meet in 2 weeks time. What we need:

-Two front tires
-Headliner and strip the sound deadening from the roof. Would be cool to make it so it doesn't collapse at speeds higher than 80 mph also.
-Replace RR shock
-Swap out steering column so I have turn signals again. The steering wheel on the current one is fused to the shaft.
-PTC air fittings up front leak so they need replacing
-R&R trans, I'm gonna either swap the whole thing or steal the tailshaft housing out of my 242, idk yet.
-Needs a cam sensor too because I raided this car to fix my 960 that I have since sold

After all that it'll be at least safe/reliable enough to make it up there and back. The brakes are still not as good as I'd like but that's an issue for another day. I really think I need to change out the front master cylinder for a size down.

Last edited:
Making good progress to get this thing better than it has been in a while.

I've got the trans out now, it looks like I didn't line up the dog on the reverse gear cone when I slammed it together last time. Amazingly I don't think it hurt anything, but that dog being in the wrong place cracked the tailshaft housing. Hopefully I can weld that up today and throw the trans back in tonight.

Yesterday I got a couple of small things fixed including the turn signals, maybe I don't have to be a dick anymore changing lanes. That would be super cool. I also replaced a blown RR shock, and replaced some air fittings in the front that have been leaking since the initial road trip in this thing.

I got a headliner in Friday, hopefully I have time to install that, it really would make the car nicer.

The only other big thing I've got after that is trying to get the heat hooked up. I think I have everything to make it happen, just need to get my heater core cleaned up and free of mouse nests. This is something that has to happen with the trans out so I can get the elbow installed on the back of the head, so now is a good time.

The last thing is an alignment check-up. I took the opportunity to put two fresh front tires on this thing, I need to make sure I don't burn 'em up.

Currently unable to upload pictures to imgur for an unknown reason, but I've made decent progress towards my goal.

Block pipe for heat installed, hoses should be here tomorrow AM.
Seat bracket welded up and legit.
Tailshaft housing welded up and re-installed.
Turn signals fixed.
Front tires mounted.
RR shock fixed.
Leaky air fittings replaced.
Headliner is going in tonight, and an alignment check done tomorrow.

Should be good to go after all that.

Post Mountain Meet update:

The car had two (very) minor issues. The first is just that auto altitude correction was not turned on in MS3, I would have to key cycle it to run well over 3000ft. I've run into this before, but I thought I had it set in the tune I uploaded. Oh well.

The second was a pretty significant air leak on the tank side, causing the compressor to run over and over and over while driving. Somebody else actually found the leak for me while I was tool hunting, and it was as simple as replacing a 6" section of line.

Overall nothing broke trying to keep up with Jared in the twisties, and it didn't leak a drop of fluid. I did notice that after beating on it or in traffic it released a couple of purges out of the overflow port on the radiator, so I guess I should finally hook up an overflow tank.

All in all really really happy with the performance of the car, now maybe I can continue the uh....comfort upgrades.

Just stuff like door rubber, door panels, carpet, back seat, etc. Would also be cool to reduce the engine vibration some but let's not get our hopes up.

the big ass slip yoke is a very good thing on a T5; so is the extension housing weight. Only requires signifiant floor cutting in an Amazon, probably. No biggie, right?

the big ass slip yoke is a very good thing on a T5; so is the extension housing weight. Only requires signifiant floor cutting in an Amazon, probably. No biggie, right?

Man the more I drive this thing the more I think what I'm dealing with is just engine mounts that aren't set up correctly or are just too stiff.

I'm running two of the smaller 240 mounts, with the engine sitting on them vertically. Honestly it may as well be solid mounted.

Back