• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

Well this happened today

4dYrKV1.jpg

Something like that. 98 S70 NA motor, looks like it's in good shape. Haven't torn it down yet..that'll happen in a few weeks.

An anonymous benefactor has already come through on a mounting solution.

Is the compression ratio such that you can slap on a turbo and mod your fuel/MS system and off you go?

Well, it has higher compression (10.5:1 vs 9:1) since it's an NA motor, and no oil squirters. Still trying to find out if those can be added or not.

Here's my plans:

H Beam Rods
Lower compression pistons (maybe). 10.5 seems high for boost, but we'll see.
Some porting work on the head, maybe drop in Turbo exhaust valves. Doubt I'll do that though.
Build a header for it
T3 of some sort. I'm thinking 8-10cm turbine housing for decent spool
Probably MS3X for management

Not entirely sure what I'll do for a trans. Importing an M90 and having everything bolt right up sure is tempting, but I've got a machinist friend who's volunteered to help with fitting a T5 trans or adapting a Nissan 350Z 6 speed. The downside on the 350Z trans is that it has an integrated bellhousing.

I'm not going to let the 2.5 block scare me as much as some do. I'll be bracing the open deck in a fashion similar to this:

bild006gr3.jpg

This is going to be a long project. I've learned a lot from putting the last motor together, and there are going to be a lot of things done differently.

Last edited:
Glad you're opting for the white block rather than the Miata; I just spent about 4 days replacing the clutch on my friend's '94. Bad fastener choices by Mazda resulted in the ultimate nightmare scenario of sheared off studs in impossible locations. *Never* again.

Well it's about to run again, but under redblock power. Gotta get a few more miles of enjoyment out of it before it goes down for the long sleep.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

BTW, I'm still driving my n/a Signal Red 1991 240 sedan.................

I wish you were staying redblock. Mainly because you're engine bay looks really damn good, and will look even better with a whiteblock and I'm just super jelly :cameron:

Haha thanks...wiring next time around will be much cleaner than it is now, and I may decide to go ahead and do a total repaint. I like the black bay, but it's time for the exterior of the car to get some love too. I'm dreading stripping the engine bay down if I do decide to do a whole paint job.

Well, after much ado, it runs again. The stated goal was making Cars and Coffee in Charlotte tomorrow, and it looks like that's going to happen.

Worked til 2am in the bitter cold last night getting it finished at my buddy's garage, then when I went to leave town to go home, I discovered I was snowed in since I couldn't get up the mountain on the highway.

Haven't driven it yet...nothing like a 3 hour shakedown cruise on a fresh rebuild to stretch it's legs.

Great job! I've been following this build by reading Kenny's thread. Haha!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2ybA2cR3n0U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
nsfw

Back