home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 12-03-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
xDread92x
Board Member

Default Replacing ring seal between bellhousing and transmission case

Hey all,

So I have confirmed the ring seal between the bellhousing and transmission case on the AW70 is leaking.

Can anyone tell me the process of replacing this? Does the bellhousing come off and the ring seal is there or does the transmission pump need to be removed and further work is required.

Can anyone give me direction on this as there isn't much information available.

Thanks

**It appears the oring surrounds the oil pump** I am assuming the oil pump will have to be removed?

Last edited by xDread92x; 12-03-2020 at 05:48 PM..
xDread92x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:32 PM   #2
xDread92x
Board Member

It appears this is the procedure. What can I do about the dowel pins and transmission pump puller?

https://ibb.co/8MXtVL3
Old 12-03-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
2 old for this
Board Member

Be advised that the bolts that hold the bell housing to the case have VERY SHORT.shoulders. You have to be ultra careful or they will round off. New socket is a must. Best I remember you don’t remove the pump.
2 old for this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
TestPoint
Board Member

I have pulled a couple bell housings swapping transmissions and cannot believe that the tiny little O ring has anything to do with a leak. There is absolutely no fluid available to leak between the outside of the transmission case and the bell housing.

On the inside there is fluid available to leak. I found that the bolts holding the bell housing to the transmission came out with sealant on the threads.

The oil pump O ring and drive shaft seal are much more suspect for leaks.

And the comments on the bolts holding the bell housing to the transmission body are true. Not only do they have little height to hold a socket but they were installed with sealant on the threads. A six point socket and about a 5 foot breaker bar will work much better than an impact wrench if you insist on verifying that nothing is leaking there.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:30 PM   #5
xDread92x
Board Member

Yes testpoint from assessing the diagrams and the seeping through the bottom seam between the bellhousing and transmission case above the front of the tranny pan. The oil pump large oring appears to be the suspect.

https://ibb.co/LvCCY0K
Old 12-03-2020, 11:29 PM   #6
white855T
Board Member

I've done this repair a bunch of times. When you remove bell housing you will see where the o rings go. No disassembly of pump. Replace both with Genuine Volvo parts. I think it was around $40 for the o rings. For the front pump seal, this is the one I use. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...495017#fitment
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #7
xDread92x
Board Member

Ok thanks

The directions I posted seem like it is involved to remove the bellhousing but I would definitely say the seal around the transmission pump is definitely the problem
Old 12-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #8
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

it's not impossible to do the repair without removing the pump and od unit, but it's also not as easy as presented here. you'll want a couple mallets to work the bellhousing off over the pump, and while you've got it apart you'll probably want to wire wheel all the rust off the outer rim of the pump so it might slide back together easier.

petroleum jelly to lubricate the rings and housings and it should slide back together.

the transmission is an asin-warner box, so the seals are still readily available and do not have to come from volvo. most of mine don't

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #9
xDread92x
Board Member

Thanks.

I do have one question regarding a swap. I have a tranny i pulled from a 92 240. I know its lh 2.4 and the 85 240 I have is lh 2.2. I know the bellhousing is different for the CPS on the 2.4 but what would the swap need.

Are there major flywheel differences? They are both AW70 with same overdrive units etc. Could the lh 2.2 flywheel and tc be swapped over on the lh 2.4 tranny? Or would bellhousings need to be swapped, etc.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:50 AM   #10
2 old for this
Board Member

The later unit will work. Always replace the converter seal. Not fun pulling it again because the old one is leaking.
2 old for this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:57 AM   #11
xDread92x
Board Member

Hmm okay thanks guys.

Is the converter seal the same as the input shaft seal?