• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

JohnV Flywheel, Viggen PP, What clutch?

HiSPL

Fanking Champion 1993
So I'm going from a dog dish flywheel to one of JohnV's flat johnnies. It comes with the Viggen Pressure Plate.

For anyone that has run this setup on an M47 can you tell me what clutch disc you used? Or do I have to get one made? I've been looking and there are no custom clutch places around me that I can find.

I think you are going to have to order from a builder to get what you need. You'll want to use a clutch maker to build you a disc with the Volvo center hub on it. I use HR clutch here in Bensalem PA. I've also watched a samcrac video on youtube and he used kentucky clutch to build a clutch for his aston martin.

Thats what I was afraid of.

You'd think living next to the 4th most populous city in the US, I'd have access to a shop like that.

If it's the 228/215 Viggen PP, then you can use a stock dog-dish clutch disc (which is 228mm). You MIGHT have clearance issues using a stock type disc, if it's a JVAB with the smaller counterbore diameter. For some reason he made those smaller and they foul on the rivets/springs of a stock style Sachs disc. Other brands may work out, ymmv.

You'll probably have to shim the PP a bit for the correct clamp load, with a 8mm thick disc you need 0.030-0.040" thick washers IIRC.

You sure it isn't the saab areo 9000 240mm pressure plate? I got two johnV billets steel flywheels they both use that.

Well I don't know. It hasn't arrived from Canadia yet. I just know it's a Saab Pressure Plate. I thought I read somewhere that he was using the Viggen PP and I probably just assumed.....

Well I don't know. It hasn't arrived from Canadia yet. I just know it's a Saab Pressure Plate. I thought I read somewhere that he was using the Viggen PP and I probably just assumed.....

They?re usually drilled for multiple clutch PP?s.

Got a picture of the FW?

My JohnV billet wheel was drilled for a 240mm Saab 9000 Aero clutch plate.

Googling suggests the Viggen had a 228mm clutch disc.

But then again, the way the 240mm clutch bolted on the bolts were squeezed in really tight to the outer diameter of the clutch disc, closer than normal (in my experience looking at various clutches) - so perhaps they use the same pattern?

Normally, the bolt holes are in the flange, but the 'big' Saab pressure plates have the bolt holes in notches in the 'bell' of the pressure plate:
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/n535/johnmc5/2012 rebuild/.highres/IMG_0193.jpg

Saab was just trying to squeeze as much clutch as possible without making a bigger bellhousing/flywheel I guess.

Last edited:
The Viggen PP also has tucked in mounting holes, but they fit the stock 215mm clutch pattern (if the dowel pins are equidistant to the threaded holes).

If it’s a dual drilled JVAB FW and meant for a 215/stock clutch, the dowel pins will most likely need to be moved. Threaded holes would be in the correct spot.

The flywheel I sent only has the one set of pressure plate dowels.

I wrote down the number on the pressure plate.... Let me see if I can find it. it had "typ MF 240", SAAB 06 3082 217 202 873676 written on it

Jordan

The flywheel I sent only has the one set of pressure plate dowels.

I wrote down the number on the pressure plate.... Let me see if I can find it. it had "typ MF 240", SAAB 06 3082 217 202 873676 written on it

Jordan

Awesome. Googling the part number gets s me this post by sbabbs: https://forums.tbforums.com/showpost.php?p=5827165&postcount=7

And the link in that post gets me to this Pressure Plate: https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/35523/Clutch-Pressure-Plate-8736761/#axzz2xYnbwj00

Which has most of the part number you listed. So, the JohnV Sooper Bitchin flat flywheel seems to use the 94 to 98 Saab 9000 Pressure Plate, pn 8736761.

Cool. Now I gotsta find a friction disc!

I'd wait to get the flywheel and measure it first. He did several bolt patterns IIRC.

I am.

I haven't bought anything else for the clutch pack yet. Waiting to get the cool stuff in, then measure and figure out what other parts I need and how much it's gonna cost me. I'd like to get Yoshifab's fancy throwout bearing, but if the disc costs me too much I'll just stick with a stock one.....

Rock dat 228/240 combo

Or have STS punch in a new bolt and dowel patter for the Viggen/215 Volvo setup. If you’re staying NA, the Saab 240 PP is heavy…

The part number for the pressure plate I listed above, is the only pattern drilled in the flywheel that Hispl is getting.

I did notice it was heavy. The flywheel was around 15lbs, the pressure plate was another 15lbs.

When they measure out a pressure plate, are they measuring the face or the bolt spacing? I don't think the face was 240mm, but the bolt spacing (at it's furthest) was pretty close to 240mm. Which seemed like a strange way of measuring a PP.

Jordan

Rock dat 228/240 combo

Or have STS punch in a new bolt and dowel patter for the Viggen/215 Volvo setup. If you’re staying NA, the Saab 240 PP is heavy…

Meh. The combo of the JV flywheel and the bigger PP will still be less than the stock dogdish junk all total.

I know I don't need it, but I might get a wild hair and decide to turbo this thing someday. Not in the plans yet, but you never know. I've also been thinking about NOS as well, just for S n G's, but right now I just want it to run right and handle like it's on rails.

Back