• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1980 242 GT. A reasonable project.

Getting my 242 finally couriered 1450 miles to me lol. Can't wait to start working on it. There's plenty of amazing encouragement and inspiration!! :D

The engine itself is a 1998 b5234t with chinese h-beam rods, arp2000 rod bolts, and NA cams (only really have the NA cams because they were already in it).

So still with the standard HPT static compression? The NA cams kind of help offset the off/on boost nature of the turbo motors, correct?

So still with the standard HPT static compression? The NA cams kind of help offset the off/on boost nature of the turbo motors, correct?

Yep, still the same compression.

The NA cams allegedly have a bit more lift and duration than the turbo cams. Honestly, I haven't looked into them much. I'm not expecting drastic improvements, if any, over the factory turbo cams.

GLT (NA) cams

Intake: 250 duration; 8.45mm lift
Exhaust: 252.6 duration; 8.45mm lift

T5 cams

Intake: 242 duration; 7.95mm lift
Exhaust: 243.5 duration; 7.95mm lift

Last edited:
Everything I've heard is that they're just a click or to hotter. Not like it'll have trouble idling or anything, but will just wake it up a bit, across the rev range.

However, no personal experience....

A couple pictures of things as I left them in the garage tonight. There's a bunch of other things going on (namely the engine wiring harness) but are the things you can actually tell what is going on.

Most of the bits are on the intake now. You can also see the banjo bolt on the far end of the plenum... that's one the factory Volvo bolts that has a check valve built in (idea courtesy of Homer).

DSC_0060.JPG

I decided I wanted to try making vacuum lines out of 3/16" stainless tubing.

DSC_0062.JPG

Serpentine belt and associated bits are installed.

DSC_0085.JPG

The oil cooler, thermostat, lines, and associated bracketry is all made/modified and installed now. I'm pretty happy with how this all worked out.

DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_0067.JPG

DSC_0073.JPG

DSC_0078.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG

DSC_0081.JPG

...and a little inspiration for me to hurry up and get this done. A couple photos I stumbled across from Eurowerks last year when the car won a couple awards.

20818989708_5d23a45d7b_o.jpg

20818817630_d6be95ac6e_o.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome work on an awesome car!:D Really excited to see the finsihed Product With T5 engine:)
What really hit me like a fist in the face on the last Picture is the exhaust. You really need to do something about it:p

Awesome work on an awesome car!:D Really excited to see the finsihed Product With T5 engine:)
What really hit me like a fist in the face on the last Picture is the exhaust. You really need to do something about it:p

Thanks! And yes, that is going to be thrown out and redone... I can't stand it. :oops:

Why do you have to post pics like that man? Now I need a cold shower. :oops:

Most of the bits are on the intake now. You can also see the banjo bolt on the far end of the plenum... that's one the factory Volvo bolts that has a check valve built in (idea courtesy of Homer).

There are two versions of this bolt.

One is the little ball inside, and the end of the bolt is curled OVER the rod.

One is the ball inside with the rod drilled and pressed THROUGH the threaded portion.

You want the one with the rod that is pressed through the threads.

I have swapped a couple engines because of the failure of the first style, including my own XC90.

Trust me, you don't want that little ball to float around your engine.

Jordan

One is the ball inside with the rod drilled and pressed THROUGH the threaded portion.

I have swapped a couple engines because of the failure of the first style, including my own XC90.

Jordan
Jeebus that's scary. The one I used has the cross bar.

Jeebus that's scary. The one I used has the cross bar.

The cross bar that is pressed into the threads? And not just the end of the threads curled over the cross bar? I'll see if I can find a picture.

I had one on my phone ages ago, but its gone. And google has let me down.

Jordan

Well this is terrifying. Thanks for the heads up. I'm almost positive mine has a crossbar (or two?), but I'm going to inspect it closely tonight.

Why do you have to post pics like that man? Now I need a cold shower. :oops:

:cool:

Feel like doing a second me7 manifold like that? I'm going to have to get mine done at some point.

I'm using the later PS pump with the remote tank so I don't even have to chop the end of the manifold.

I believe I saved the .dxf's for all of the brackets to be welded on, but I didn't weld this together... so you'd have to find someone else to do that (unless I'm up and running with a TIG by the time you're at that point)

What people don't realize, Tom didn't have a driver's seat installed for this picture.....

...I know, right?

Yeah.
10jOyd7c2iGv1S.gif

Great work Tom. You've gotta be pretty stoked to hear this thing fire off.

:nod: Oh man, you have no idea. I can't wait.

Back