• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Introduction and Corvette IRS transaxle swap

V12-240

Hey guys,

I'm in the planning stages of a project I want to undertake. I'm a huge wagon fan and alternatively a Volvo fan. I've always been drawn to Volvo's and now that I will have the means to build what I want, I want to purse this project. I've loved V12's so a V12 wagon has been a dream of mine for a while. I've decided on a '96 Jaguar 6.0 V12 to swap into a 240 wagon. Yes I know it's daughting, yes I know there's easier ways to make power but this is what I want to do. That's the reason why I joined this forum and I'll document my progress here.

Anyway, I'm thinking about doing a Corvette transaxle to help with weight distribution. Trackwidth on the Corvettes are 1570 mm where the stockk 240s are about 10 inches shorter but of course that's complicated by offsets and wheel width. I was planning on going wide body in the future so I'm not too concerned. My question is is it worth all this trouble for the transaxle or should I keep the OEM set up and go with standard trans swap? I'm gonna already have the car stripped and torn so I figured the start of the project would be worth while to undertake the conversation rather than down the road. Sorry for the book of a post but thought I'd explain myself since I'm new to the forum. I appreciate any input, I know I'm crazy to try this!

My C4 rear end sitting in the garage is roughly 2 inches or less longer than the stock 240 rear end.

240SX IRS is a lot simpler and has been swapped into other platforms before. I don't know if anyone has done a Volvo yet.

It can also handle lots of power.

I love the idea of an IRS 245, did some back-of-the-napkin level stuff, but kinda just said "blegh, Volvo SRAs aren't that bad, I don't feel like cutting one to pieces and welding a different car to the bottom, if I really have to have IRS, I'll just switch to E46s..." - but I do have some links/threads to drop :D

https://rick486.wixsite.com/dobbertinperformance might be worth looking at - old-school hot-rod guy that makes a set of brackets to replicate the upper control arm and shock mounts that are part of the C5/C6 frame, and narrows C5/C6 subframes. He also has the bits for a couple of approaches to not having the transmission in the back, as well.

There's some positives to that approach - wouldn't need to hack up the original frame rails much beyond adding some secondary/additional frame rails to attach his mount kit to, and said kit would take care of maintaining UCA geometry, coilover mount points, mounting the subframe itself all in one go, and picking whatever track width you want.
240SX IRS is a lot simpler and has been swapped into other platforms before. I don't know if anyone has done a Volvo yet.

It can also handle lots of power.
There's this guy - http://www.forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=343982&page=2
and diving deep into the Wayback machine, Anthony Hyde did a swap with an R33 Skyline rear (which looks really similar): http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=183375

Back