• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1990+ 700/900 Front-End Setups

This pretty much what I will be test fitting in the next month. I have an NOS 9 series fog eggcrate grill, and non-fog E codes enroute from the Netherlands. If it fits together will add a pic to this thread. Plan B is a non fog waterfall......and I suppose there is no plan C.

You do know that you will have to remove the egg crate insert which involves drilling out rivets? I would buy a cheap egg crate grille to mess with and not mess up a NOS grille(or sell it). When you have both grilles together, you will see how easy it all goes together. I used nuts and bolts to secure the egg crate insert in the grille frame but I suppose you can use rivets too(I had some but didn't bother looking for them).

I won't bugger up the NOS egg crate, if it needs mods to fit. I have a painted (grey perimeter) non-fog grille, which is now in my 92 745.... and a clean chrome waterfall from a 94 non-fog donor. Will probably pick the best looking of them and run it "as is"..... I don't need to keep working to get my DD back on the road! As Sgt. Hulka said.... "I'm getting too old for this sh*&"

Oh man that?s gorgeous. I love that chrome(?) eggcrate grill (at least it looks chrome).
LOL no...that's just really badly worn black for that whole grille. :lol:
88-90 760 shares the same grille. My 88 765 is identical to the wagon in Grille 3 picture.
Yup, that's an '89 765T.
91-95 940 fog light egg crate grille insert in a non fog light grill frame(91-92 740, 91-95 940). The 90 740 grille is a one year grille.

The 940 with-fog egg crate is '91-'92 only.

I won't bugger up the NOS egg crate, if it needs mods to fit. I have a painted (grey perimeter) non-fog grille, which is now in my 92 745.... and a clean chrome waterfall from a 94 non-fog donor. Will probably pick the best looking of them and run it "as is"..... I don't need to keep working to get my DD back on the road! As Sgt. Hulka said.... "I'm getting too old for this sh*&"

Trade you a super clean eggcrate and cash for that NOS eggcrate...:oogle:

Not sure how that grill swap works going from a fog light front end to a non fog front end. I've had cars with both and it's a different profile for both front ends. The fog light front end is more swept and the grill is curved whereas the non fog front is more upright and the grill has a flatter profile.

As that swap involves changing the headlights, grille, and surrounds, it works. Plug and play.

I was talking about this:
All true, but I believe that a fog type eggcrate center can be put in a waterfall 940 nonfog, with mods to the upper clips. I did not try it, but did compare closely and think the eggcrate center will fit in the other surround.

and this:
https://forums.tbforums.com/showpost.php?p=5768807&postcount=14

I mean, it looks like it works, but I'm surprised.

Where are you finding these cheap 940 eggcrates? :lol:

I was talking about this:

and this:
https://forums.tbforums.com/showpost.php?p=5768807&postcount=14

I mean, it looks like it works, but I'm surprised.

I did the full swap and went from this:

9530412249_de0baba713_b.jpg

to this:

SRNhHTd.jpg

IMHO easier and cheaper to find the 1990 740T front if you want an eggcrate. I swapped the chrome trim from another 1990 740 on to the eggcrate for fun, but that's the only extra effort.

I did the grille insert swap on my 94 940 turbo. Went to a junkyard and found the grille in the trunk haha. (Don't worry the frame was cracked and the grille was faded). So I took out the insert and painted it with plastidip (all I had at the time) and zip tied it on the car. It's kinda janky but it holds and the yard charged me nothing for the grille, so free eggcrate for me yay. You can see it on my instagram @nate_meador89 http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/nate_meador89

SRNhHTd.jpg

IMHO easier and cheaper to find the 1990 740T front if you want an eggcrate. I swapped the chrome trim from another 1990 740 on to the eggcrate for fun, but that's the only extra effort.

That actually looks pretty darn good!

I just received and refreshed a set of non FOG E-codes that I bought from Arjan in the Netherlands. It is apparent the L shaped "surrounds" are not all the same on the non FOG fronts. While the 9 series and late 2 series (I'm rebuilding my son's old 92 745T right now) have the smooth version I see on all the 9s around here, the 90 740 surrounds have a "step" in them where they meet the grille. I'll presume this was to mate the 90 only 740 grille?

If I can get my hands on a cheap egg crate center section, I'll look to see if it can be fitted inside the 92+ 9 series waterfall perimeter.

You do know that you will have to remove the egg crate insert which involves drilling out rivets? I would buy a cheap egg crate grille to mess with and not mess up a NOS grille(or sell it). When you have both grilles together, you will see how easy it all goes together. I used nuts and bolts to secure the egg crate insert in the grille frame but I suppose you can use rivets too(I had some but didn't bother looking for them).

Is it possible to swap the 930 egg crate center to the 940 water fall surround? I have a 940 egg crate grille with a broken surround. I also have a 940 chrome water fall grille. Both come from fog lamp cars. Both have plastic rivets attaching the center to the surround.

Is it possible to swap the 930 egg crate center to the 940 water fall surround? I have a 940 egg crate grille with a broken surround. I also have a 940 chrome water fall grille. Both come from fog lamp cars. Both have plastic rivets attaching the center to the surround.

Yes, the swap is both possible and relatively simple with removal of the plastic rivets.

Yes, the swap is both possible and relatively simple with removal of the plastic rivets.

For 7/9 posterity, someone host pics of this grille swap and add to this thread.

Mods - this would be better located in the Showroom than under Maintenance..... IMO.

Back