• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

SeanHodgins 1981 242 GLT

Got my engine and stuff back from the machine shop. Pretty much ready to go together but I need rods! No pictures cause I'm sick and I want to be working on it and I can't!

Oh I meant to ask, have you opened the trunk? What was in there? I never bothered to take apart the lock, I hope the previous owner hadn't left a dead body in there...

No dead body, first thing I checked. Still haven't popped the trunk, just looked through the hole in the seats so there could be the odd body part but no whole body. What I see from the viewing hole is a box with spark plug wires in it, probably old ones, maybe new, and some random exhaust pieces. There is probably more hiding in the wheel wells. Ill get at it once I beat this sickness.

Bit the bullet ordered some rods from RSI today.

Anyone know how many Weld els I should buy to attempt my first manifold?

Ha, no kidding!

This car has the old school skinny booster. But I'm pretty sure it's broken because the lines are snipped on it and there wasa 740 booster in the car. What I'm wondering is, is there a difference in the skinny vs the later fat style in terms of braking? I would like to keep the skinny version if possible if there aren't any differences. Any way to test the booster/master while not hooked up? Maybe I should just see if I can get it rebuilt.

Ha, no kidding!

This car has the old school skinny booster. But I'm pretty sure it's broken because the lines are snipped on it and there wasa 740 booster in the car. What I'm wondering is, is there a difference in the skinny vs the later fat style in terms of braking? I would like to keep the skinny version if possible if there aren't any differences. Any way to test the booster/master while not hooked up? Maybe I should just see if I can get it rebuilt.

If you're not planning on going vertical or 16V with this engine you might as well use the bigger 740 booster but you'll probably need an adapter to run it on your car I think...

Just keeping the slanted 8v

But yeah, I don't think I want to use the 740 one either, cause I have no clue what its condition is and I would need an adapter, but I just mean if I was to use a 240 one, should I get the newer style? or stick with the older style one.

Just keeping the slanted 8v

But yeah, I don't think I want to use the 740 one either, cause I have no clue what its condition is and I would need an adapter, but I just mean if I was to use a 240 one, should I get the newer style? or stick with the older style one.

Well it depends if your master cylinder fits on the newer style booster I guess? Then you'll have to change both master cylinder and booster...

Yeah I guess I was really just wondering in terms of performance.. Ill just pull this one off and have a look at the mounting pattern.

Better pictures of the cancer. Did a lot more stripping today since it was so freakishly warm outside. Got the trunk open also, and man the butt-cheeks are destroyed! I'm ready to get into it.

Rust-1.jpg

Rust-2.jpg

Rust-3.jpg

Rust-4.jpg

Theres hope for the paint! Needs a buff. But it cleans up pretty well.

Rust-5.jpg

Rust-6.jpg

Rust-7.jpg

Rust-8.jpg

This is going to be the hardest part I think. The jack mount is FUBAR'd Might have to get creative in the repair for this.

Rust-9.jpg

The center frame looks decent though, no holes. Which is nice.
Going to have a hell of a time getting rid of that sound deadening stuff.

I like how someone tried to repair the butt-cheak with a licence plate...

Those sound deadening layers look like a major hassle.. What about solvent? Could you dissolve the adhesive and peel them off?

Change the name of the thread already!

Last edited:
wow that's rough.

very rusty, and big holes. my name was more fitting than anticipated.

less rusty 4 door shell still available, 83 missing tails, rear bumper, front seats, headlights& grille, carb. would be significantly less welding.

I like how someone tried to repair the butt-cheak with a licence plate...

Those sound deadening layers look like a major hassle.. What about solvent? Could you dissolve the adhesive and peel them off?

Change the name of the thread already!

Haha yeah thats a licence plate. I tried to change the name of the thread, it only changed the title of the first post!

wow that's rough.

very rusty, and big holes. my name was more fitting than anticipated.

less rusty 4 door shell still available, 83 missing tails, rear bumper, front seats, headlights& grille, carb. would be significantly less welding.

Haha I need the practice. Also, I need to show some members on here not to just go throwing away/crushing 242s haha. Going to give her a few more years on the road hopefully.

Haha yeah thats a licence plate. I tried to change the name of the thread, it only changed the title of the first post!

Haha I need the practice. Also, I need to show some members on here not to just go throwing away/crushing 242s haha. Going to give her a few more years on the road hopefully.

badass, the 242's pillar placement really is awesome with the longer doors. best cabin I've ever been in. Got in my Mother in law's 245 to drive it and went B PILLAR IS IN FRONT OF ME WTF.

Back