• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oil trap

todayzbrick12

I feel this is obvious but I’d like to ask in case. I have a 91 940 turbo and all of a sudden it will not start. I brought it in the garage to trace some oil leaks which revealed the new oil trap split at the seam. No it wasn’t genuine Volvo. I will remedy that ASAP. The question is will this split in the oil trap cause a vacuum leak or something that would cause a no start? I hear the fuel pump, also have spark. I drove it into garage but now all of a sudden all it does is cranks but now start. I smell gas, I hear pump, checked spark. Have 240 I could pull parts from that has been b230+t so any help will be appreciated. Getting frustrated. PLEASE HELP. Thanks

Last edited:
Yeah I figured it should still start considering I drove it into my garage for service. Oil trap was already split by then which is why I was looking to track oil leak. So I checked spark and it was present, i used starter fluid in the throttle body in an attempt if fuel was issue with no luck. Swapped out the power stage or whatever it's called that intensifies the spark with a known good unit and also swapped fuel pump relay and checked for bad fuses, still no go. Seems it may be a wiring issue, short or something because it ran until I stuck my big ole hands around the engine at the oil trap area. Can't recall disturbing any other wiring besides maybe alternator and the power stage area trying to remove the battery to fully charge because it was reading 12.3v .
Just wondering if I'm overlooking anything obvious because I've looked through my 240 service manual and as much of the forums and what green book info I can find pertaining to no start. Thanks for any advice or direction that could be provided.

What's the condition of the CPS? Have you checked all of your grounds? The 91 wiring (should) be fine.

Back