• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

No longer mom's grocery getter(1991 244)

Re: Exhaust,
I'm beginning to think I should've gone with a 4" round muffler instead of the bullet, or maybe something a little larger than just a 4x9" standard length main muffler. It's perfectly fine, but just a tad quieter would be preferred. I'm wondering if there are any resonated tips out there that might fit the bill... I haven't seen much in the way of 2.5"ID tips though...

Oh, one more thing, that's actually somewhat annoying... I did install a gasket, and it seals fine, but it still sounds like it has an exhaust leak. I'm pretty sure it doesn't(haven't confirmed yet) though, and it might be because of the thin walled pipe used for the downpipe extension? Or at least that's the only reason I can come up with. Or maybe my porting of the stuff has thinned the walls of the downpipe and/or manifold so much at the flanges that they transfer more sound. I'll have to take a closer look. It's just that when I'm at low speeds/low throttle openings/idling there's a lot of exhaust leak sound that comes from the downpipe area, and I hear it more than the actual exhaust in those situations.

That being said, between the exhaust, cleaned 16v injectors(tossed them in last week without the FPR), and (possibly) the 3 deg. advance mod, I managed a best ever 25.67mpg. Previous best 4 have been 24.0, 24.0, 23.2 and one other 23. So that was cool. I can't wait to get a 2.5bar fpr on there, hopefully tomorrow or monday at the latest. I might also look into doing some aero mods underneath. I really really need to get at LEAST my Bilsteins installed up front, if not both them and the GT springs before Friday... Blah.

Re: Exhaust,
I'm beginning to think I should've gone with a 4" round muffler instead of the bullet, or maybe something a little larger than just a 4x9" standard length main muffler. It's perfectly fine, but just a tad quieter would be preferred. I'm wondering if there are any resonated tips out there that might fit the bill... I haven't seen much in the way of 2.5"ID tips though...

Oh, one more thing, that's actually somewhat annoying... I did install a gasket, and it seals fine, but it still sounds like it has an exhaust leak. I'm pretty sure it doesn't(haven't confirmed yet) though, and it might be because of the thin walled pipe used for the downpipe extension? Or at least that's the only reason I can come up with. Or maybe my porting of the stuff has thinned the walls of the downpipe and/or manifold so much at the flanges that they transfer more sound. I'll have to take a closer look. It's just that when I'm at low speeds/low throttle openings/idling there's a lot of exhaust leak sound that comes from the downpipe area, and I hear it more than the actual exhaust in those situations.

That being said, between the exhaust, cleaned 16v injectors(tossed them in last week without the FPR), and (possibly) the 3 deg. advance mod, I managed a best ever 25.67mpg. Previous best 4 have been 24.0, 24.0, 23.2 and one other 23. So that was cool. I can't wait to get a 2.5bar fpr on there, hopefully tomorrow or monday at the latest. I might also look into doing some aero mods underneath. I really really need to get at LEAST my Bilsteins installed up front, if not both them and the GT springs before Friday... Blah.
Thats great that you are getting that good of mileage on the car. Is this a new downpipe that is making all the noise. Maybe the new quiet exhaust is making it possible to hear a pre-existing leek? PS time slips should be up soon

Nah, it's not a quiet exhaust, it was quiet before and I still heard this noise actually. But that downpipe had a visible crack in it that was leaking that I assumed the sound was coming from. The sound is now even a bit louder with the new exhaust, I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow.

The mileage could be better, but it's not a manual or a wagon, so I guess it's not bad. I mean, I KNOW it's not bad compared to what I've gotten on this car before... :) w00h00!

WOAH! It was freaking QUICK just now. It's still learning the 2.5bar FPR, but man, it's going to be good, better gas mileage, and MORE POWER!!! It feels GREAT. I'm stoked! Now to get those springs and HDs installed up front... I bought some stuff so I can start doing it at home tomorrow instead of trying to find somewhere else with stuff to do it. KICKASS!

10/13/12 Edit: Hahahaha, such a funny little kid... "QUICK", my butt. My "stock" '87 DL is just as fast as this thing was at the time. Sad. Well, the things you learn over the years!

Last edited:
http://www.ovtuners.org/gallery/albums/MY244/0806071716_G.sized.jpg

HDs are installed, I'm not bothering with the springs. At least not for now. Getting the HDs in up front was a big enough PITA of sorts(see the picture above for one reason, man did that feel wrong). The car feels great compared to the KYBs... :oogle: It wants a 23 or 22mm rear swaybar though... Anyone have one for trade with a 25mm one?

Oh, and I found my exhaust leak noise... The downpipe is split open. *sigh* All that work on something that's broken. I'll be on the lookout for a replacement I guess. I wish I had seen that though, damnit!

Last edited:
Simon dropped one off at my work unannounced today, w000! It's going on tomorrow and I'll be ALL SET! Except for improving the aerodynamics of a brick, but hey, we can't have everything now can we.

Well, I got a new left front turn signal lense, so that's good news, I still need to locate a left front headlight though.(Both were damaged on a rocky logging trail in Canada that I wasn't planning on being on)

On another not so happy note, I noticed some new body damage on my car today... There's an outward dent or two on the right rear 1/4 panel from junk in the trunk flying around. Very likely from all the stuff I had in there on my way up to Canada. NOT COOL!!! I need to look into getting dents repaired, and if it can be done without paint fixing... I doubt it though, they're all small issues(trunk lid has a few, and some on the left front fender, a couple little dings on the right rear door), but still.

As far as plans for the car go, I'm putting the 25mm rear sway back on, in anticipation of some stiffer front springs. Like 200+lb front springs. After that, the car should be pretty balanced, but I'll probably try and get some Konis(either red or yellow) for the rear of the car, as I'm not satisfied with the stiffness of the rear Bilstein HDs. With the stiffer front springs, it'll be nice to stiffen up the rear a bit more too.

I also can't wait to get a good header pipe on there so the car leans out, gets better gas mileage, and makes more power. The exhaust leaks there, before the O2 sensor, and throws off the reading. I assume.

Car had a birthday on the way up to Canada a month ago. 1/8th of the way there...
0810071025_G.sized.jpg

It's currently rolling on Rikens and has no inside wheel traction what so freaking ever if I try to turn and accelerate at the same time. I'm looking for a 21mm rear bar, as I'm not going to get around to making the front stiffer any time soon, and a 21 rear bar is cheaper and easier.

Someone forgot to add an inch or two to the outside of these wheels... Bastards...
0913071855_G.sized.jpg

I also re-hooked up the timing advance mod, and tossed in some premium gas with a little bit of octane booster as well to make sure it doesn't detonate... It's pulling great right now, and hopefully I can put down some new best 1/4 times tomorrow night. Assuming it isn't raining. :roll:

Last edited:
Looks good Kyle. My pops was saying you had the nicest 240 he had seen in a very long time (at the 06 meet)

Thanks again for driving the parts up! Keep up the good work with the two fo fo

Jordan

I'm not sure if the LSD would solve things, or just make me tail happy... But yeah, I want a T5 in there before anything else. Turbo is the last thing this'll get. Ok, maybe not the last, but it's way up there.

I can't drive around in the wet with these s**t tires with a 25mm rear bar and cut wagon springs. It's dangerous. Even slowing down is dangerous, I can't accellerate for s**t. I need to corner weight my car and cut the springs some more to balance it out a bit, haha. A limited slip differential will only help so much. Much better tires will help the most.

On another note, I had the thought pop into my head to sell this car again... I couldn't figure out a way to keep it in my life with the projects I want, but now I have it figured out, and it can stay forever! It'll eventually morph into a fast(tuuuuurbo[or not]), cool car for weekend fun and teasing other people with. Then I'll have a 142 race car, and a 145 DD. Sweetness.

Last edited:
On another note, I had the thought pop into my head to sell this car again... I couldn't figure out a way to keep it in my life with the projects I want, but now I have it figured out, and it can stay forever! It'll eventually morph into a fast(tuuuuurbo), cool car for weekend fun and teasing other people with. Then I'll have a 142 race car, and a 145 DD. Sweetness.

:oogle:
A. Everyone who loves volvos is jealous of this car...
B. Turbo + The Patented Kyle perfection = one badass car
C. Your ratio above is perfect! one240:two140's

also, after riding in this thing, I gotta say, compared to all other volvos I've ever ridden in, this has to be one of the cleanest and most unexpectedly fast ones ever. Throw some widened steelies with hubcaps on em' and you'll have the ultimate sleeper. :nod:

Keep it up!

Haha, why thank you man! I don't know about the steelies though... And I freaking wish the car's speed would make an appearance when we go to the strip on the 7th...

Back