• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Lokar vs Volvo gas pedal cable throttle

71142volvo

I plan on adding the Weber spring throttle kit and doing away with the rods and levers setup for my 1971 142s. What are the advantages of the Lokar pedal setup vs Volvo FI pedal setup. What is needed for both. While I want the easiest install, I would like the most efficient and most reliable setup.

Thanks for your insight!

I can't speak at the carburator end. However, I did a Lokar cable for my 5.0 swap, and it mated fairly well to my 89 240 fuel injection pedal that has a clevis style hook up. I don't know how your pedal setup is currently- is it all linkage?

Thank you PeaceEngineered! I'm getting a FI 240 pedal this week and additional hardware if necessary. I didn't want to go one way just to find out the other way was better, or more reliable based on people's experience.

I hope it helps. The factory pedal can be modified to help get your "stroke" or lever arm length correct (drill new hole, round or narrow the lever). Might take some ingenuity on your part, but nothing that isn't typical deviating from stock. Haha. Post up some pics when you get a chance. Several here running carbs...

Last edited:
I am not for certain. Is the current set up cable or linkage? Can you post a pic as I am a 240 guy. Lol
That said anything can be made to work with enough effort. I know that an 89 cable pedal from my 240 has a Lokar cable clevis on it. Took maybe :30 to make work including taking the pedal out.

Gas pedal

The current setup is linkage from the pedal to the carbs. I'm going to get the pedal Saturday and see where I'm at. I'll take pics and try to post.

Thanks for your help!

I plan on adding the Weber spring throttle kit and doing away with the rods and levers setup for my 1971 142s. What are the advantages of the Lokar pedal setup vs Volvo FI pedal setup. What is needed for both. While I want the easiest install, I would like the most efficient and most reliable setup.

Thanks for your insight!

I've got one in my 240. Didn't need anything that wasn't in the kit. You need to get a little creative and make a plate to cover the (larger) hold that was in the Volvo firewall.

You can cut it to fit any length, the Volvo cable wont be shortened as cleanly, and can't be lengthened.

Its not bad. The black wrapped version looks pretty factory.

Hi 84.240!

Thanks for the input!

Do you mean you have the Lokar pedal and cable setup in your 240?

Thank you!

sure do, but mine is on an LS1 from an 01 Camaro, which had a cable throttle. Works great, no slack and good response, super easy install.

edit: not the pedal, I just put it on the Volvo factory pedal. its the same style of fitting, slides right in.

it is an absolute pain to install it with the pedal in the car. do yourself a favor and take the pedal out, install the cable, fish it through the firewall and then reinstall the pedal.

sure do, but mine is on an LS1 from an 01 Camaro, which had a cable throttle. Works great, no slack and good response, super easy install.

edit: not the pedal, I just put it on the Volvo factory pedal. its the same style of fitting, slides right in.

it is an absolute pain to install it with the pedal in the car. do yourself a favor and take the pedal out, install the cable, fish it through the firewall and then reinstall the pedal.

Agreed! Take it out. Your back, neck, and fingers will thank you.

Back