home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #326
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
man, that oldsmobile is sooooooo sweet!
‘87 Buick T-Type w/euro Cutlass front clip.
Atom D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:07 PM   #327
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I just wanna say, I stared at the hinge for the Taillight for a solid 30 seconds in awe! How'd you pull that off? I mean like, how did you fabricate those bends? That's some legit stuff right there! Helluva build man, helluva!
Hinges are some of my favorite things to design and build. The motion you can get out of stuff by changing pivot points and arm lengths is super cool. I usually sketch up what I want it to look like closed and open then figure out how to make the transition. I use paper and push pins to test. Once I’ve got it figured out, I CAD it up and use my CNC router to do the hard part.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #328
SML
Board Member

I figured it had to be something like that! Man, makes me want a CNC Router real bad. How much was yours? I've read multiple DIY projects on CNC stuff, but it's not my cup of tea. It'd be a fun skill to learn, but I might wait until this car is at least rolling before I commit to trying anything with that amount of stepper motoring/programming.

Any chance you can make a set of those LED taillight inserts for me?? I have lots of beer and some money to trade! Ha! I was really trying to think of a way to do LED taillights because I'm planning on doing LED headlights, but I just couldn't swing it myself. I guess having a CNC router opens up a ridiculous number of possibility!
SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #329
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I figured it had to be something like that! Man, makes me want a CNC Router real bad. How much was yours? I've read multiple DIY projects on CNC stuff, but it's not my cup of tea. It'd be a fun skill to learn, but I might wait until this car is at least rolling before I commit to trying anything with that amount of stepper motoring/programming.

Any chance you can make a set of those LED taillight inserts for me?? I have lots of beer and some money to trade! Ha! I was really trying to think of a way to do LED taillights because I'm planning on doing LED headlights, but I just couldn't swing it myself. I guess having a CNC router opens up a ridiculous number of possibility!
I spent in the neighborhood of $4k for mine. It’s pretty reasonably sized (24”x36”) with a water cooled spindle. There are definitely more expensive ones and less expensive ones.

I would do my taillights completely different if I were going to do it again. PM me and we can discuss.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:11 PM   #330
Atom D&D
Board Member

At some point I'm hoping to be to the "bolt on" phase and out of the "engineer everything" phase.

Subaru hood latch. Had to extend the E30 cable (E30 latch is on the driver’s side), extend the throw and add emergency access in case the cable breaks.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:58 PM   #331
Atom D&D
Board Member

Anyone a wheel/tire fitment expert? I’ve got a question I think I know the answer to, but need a second brain on it.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:29 AM   #332
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Older brother in the wheel/tire business for 45 years -- so I know a guy....
Old 02-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #333
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Older brother in the wheel/tire business for 45 years -- so I know a guy....
This is more of a geometry question than wheel/tire specific. Right now I’m running a 215/35/18 tire on a 18x7.5” wheel. When pointed straight there’s about 1/2” between the sidewall and the fender lip. At full lock there’s much less clearance, but that’s on the radius of the tire. My question is, if I widened the front wheel by 1/2”, but put 1/4” of that inboard and 1/4” outboard and kept the same tire (slightly stretched), would my tire to body clearances stay the same? Seeing as the tire tread width stays the same and the OD stays the same.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:29 PM   #334
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

It would make sense to me that the corner (where the tread becomes the sidewall or whatever) of the tire would stay in relatively the same position so long as offset doesn't change. The closer you get to the wheel, the closer the tire gets to the body (obviously). I'd also assume that the OD of the tire would change slightly when the tire becomes stretched. Maybe not enough in this case to really mean anything though since it's only 1/2" over the whole tire. Like a 205 on a 7" wheel looks meatier than it does on an 8" wheel.
Feedback

AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:20 PM   #335
evolvo67
Board Member

I think this tool will help you figure out the answer.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
evolvo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #336
M.H. Yount
Board Member

My resident wheel/tire fitment expert says he wouldn't expect significant movement out at the tread with a move from 7.5" to 8.5" and a 215 section tire PROVIDED you are certain about splitting the additional inch 50/50....
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #337
cwdodson88
Board Member

to me you'd want the whole inch inboard.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #338
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo67 View Post
I think this tool will help you figure out the answer.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
I use something similar in an app, but it doesn't really pinpoint tire section width vs. rim width. This is a little better, but I don't see how the backspace can stay the same and the wheel still move .2" inboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
My resident wheel/tire fitment expert says he wouldn't expect significant movement out at the tread with a move from 7.5" to 8.5" and a 215 section tire PROVIDED you are certain about splitting the additional inch 50/50....
it won't be exact, but close enough to still have clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
to me you'd want the whole inch inboard.
Theoretically, ideally, I'd move it 1/2 inboard and go with a 12mm wider tire to get exactly the same fitment. That said, at 1/4" further inboard I'd be hitting the strut tube. That's why I'm looking to get close to splitting the difference in/out. If I split the difference I can't really go wider on the tire. Unless I change the aspect to drop the OD down. The main clearance issue I see is at full lock. At full lock you're dealing with clearance as it relates more to the OD of the tire instead of the width, but I'd like to be as sure as possible. I dislike rubbing tires.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #339
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom D&D View Post
I use something similar in an app, but it doesn't really pinpoint tire section width vs. rim width. This is a little better, but I don't see how the backspace can stay the same and the wheel still move .2" inboard
You're subtracting 6mm of offset while adding 6mm of width on each side of the centerline. So your backspacing is the same and inboard edge stays in the same place. Wheel rim to body clearance on the outside edge will therefore be reduced as the outboard edge is pushed outwards by 12mm. By doing it this way you're adding all of your width to the outboard edge.

If you want to split the difference and move the inboard & outboard edges by the same amount, you'd want your new 8" wheel to have ET30 offset just like your old wheel. Distance from centerline to hub mounting face stays the same, and the wheel grows equally in either direction.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:24 PM   #340
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
You're subtracting 6mm of offset while adding 6mm of width on each side of the centerline. So your backspacing is the same and inboard edge stays in the same place. Wheel rim to body clearance on the outside edge will therefore be reduced as the outboard edge is pushed outwards by 12mm. By doing it this way you're adding all of your width to the outboard edge.

If you want to split the difference and move the inboard & outboard edges by the same amount, you'd want your new 8" wheel to have ET30 offset just like your old wheel. Distance from centerline to hub mounting face stays the same, and the wheel grows equally in either direction.
Copy
Old 02-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #341
cwdodson88
Board Member

What he said... pretty sure that explains my meaning better than I could.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:55 PM   #342
evolvo67
Board Member

That tool does have a bit of a learning curve cause there are so many options. Have you noticed that if you click on the two blue arrows between the two top wheel options it flops them and changes all the parameters! Wish I knew how to do those screen captures!!
Old 02-26-2018, 08:04 PM   #343
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo67 View Post
Wish I knew how to do those screen captures!!
Snipping tool!!
Old 02-26-2018, 08:08 PM   #344
evolvo67
Board Member

Quote:
Snipping tool!!
Wish I knew what that was, too!
Old 02-27-2018, 10:33 PM   #345
Atom D&D
Board Member

It was raining, but I went out to try and scout some photo spots for when the weather breaks.

Ubiquitous parking garage shot

Old 02-27-2018, 10:41 PM   #346
cwdodson88
Board Member

super clean. I love it.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:33 AM   #347
Vol242vo
Board Member

I want it.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:03 PM   #348
Atom D&D
Board Member

Car weighed 2850 yesterday with a quarter tank of gas and no driver. The lady at the dump kind of chuckled when I asked if I could just weigh my car without paying the $17 minimum. LOL
Old 02-28-2018, 09:08 PM   #349
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Car weighed 2850 yesterday with a quarter tank of gas and no driver. The lady at the dump kind of chuckled when I asked if I could just weigh my car without paying the $17 minimum. LOL
my transfer station person usually asks me to leave a patch on the off ramp of the scales.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:33 PM   #350
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

wow very nice!
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote