• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My Cheap Heap the Ebay way 1986 244dl + t

icdpride

So for the past year or so I have been working on my 1986 Volov 240dl in sweet sweet beige, it came to me barely running, with the stock n/a b230f engine, a 4spd m46 trans with overdrive, and 86000 original miles. Like any other project with no plan I started to put together all the cheap parts I had and set to work and after that these are the specs that I have for the car

1986 Volvo 244dl
4spd M46w/od
B230f +t 86 block, installed rods from 93 new rings and bearings
Cometic head gasket
530 head with some minor porting work
IPD Turbo cam
2.2lh Block mounted distributor
Megasquirt 2.0 v3.57 with Mapdaddy 4bar
10' ms harness from diyautotune.com
OBX (ebay) turbo manifold flipped and re welded with braces and extermal wastegate
38mm External wastgate
Gt35 (a/r .70) ebay turbo
3" downpipe
3" full mandrel bent 2 pc exhaust with thrush turbo muffler and v-bands
Innvoative ls-2 Wideband o2
Large FMIC
Walbro intank 450lbh
GENSSI Blue Type S Adjustable Fuel pressure Regulator
YoshiFab redblock billet TPS sensor adapter
1000cc injectors with resistor pack
2 12" efans
Dual core ka aluminum radiator

Here is how it started
Sempv0bl.jpg

Here is what its at now
Rew6YFOl.jpg

D1YH8lwl.jpg

Engine Bay
1ycEF5ul.jpg

But with me being bad at tuning and contaminating the oil with a ton of fuel my engine went from making cool cho cho turbo noise to horrible screeching noise (see video bellow)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wKnfONd-gd4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So today it got pulled back into the garage for some major work

cO7vTKGl.jpg

Tear down begins
F4UCowDl.jpg

Front clip off
OLhJL2sl.jpg

Coming out
Q9P1vd8l.jpg

Its out
UEGS0hcl.jpg

Now to get it on a stand torn down and figure out what happened

Got the motor torn down and there is diffidently shows some damage so it is tie to rebuild after to measuring to find out if there is any damage to the crank or anything.

Top end with the valve cover off
K1GdCwql.jpg

Head off
vhiKeSvl.jpg

The oil that came out, looks not great and a fair amount of metal
ETu9rsQl.jpg

Crankshaft, looks ok I think, need to measure it to make sure, tips are welcome
9K9wvgzl.jpg

Q1VxYs4l.jpg

2N18mxnl.jpg

Piston 1 rod and bearing
TzIaLMOl.jpg

Piston 2 rod and bearing
U9aKz7Cl.jpg

Piston 3 rod and bearing
LGT0ztkl.jpg

Piston 4 rod and bearing
N6N3vKpl.jpg

Oil pump tube, Here is where the real damage no clue how this happened
vFlhsjfl.jpg

So any input would be awesome I am assuming it was poor assembly by me followed by all the fuel in the oil so I think a rebuild will fix it

So I measured the ring gap and I think they are all too tight but they also very greatly from cylinder to cylinder

10T3yYbl.png

Looks like I need to th hone the cylinders and do some math to get these right

Since I am waiting on tools and parts I though I would wire tuck everything and refresh the engine bay, fix all the scratches fill the unused holes delete the battery tray and repaint it

Battery tray delete
3S1Rw4Xl.jpg

nT4XrvOl.jpg

Bay refresh
mcWXBu0l.jpg

hK6Eokdl.jpg

218kZr9l.jpg

i0M5t5Gl.jpg

Finally got some motivation (and time) to work on this heap got the bay all finished and all the wires tucked and hidden and put the engine back in.
hEmWxVvl.jpg

Angle 1
9PR6NAql.jpg

Angle 2
muWFhxSl.jpg

And another one
lAGgffQl.jpg

And the money shot
b9N0gvcl.jpg

Got it started and it seems the engine noise has been fixed Horray!!!! but I need to do something about the tune it is really hard to start and runs pig rich Now I try to learn how to tune horray

This car look very fun. Very inspirational for what I want to build.

Thanks, Yeah I am hoping to get it tuned to a point where it is drive-able its been a struggle so far, for some idiotic reason I thought Mega-squirt and tuning would be easy... not so much lol but if cool learning it

So I have been working on a tune with some help this is my current tune https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p7iX6l57HmM5MpuWz4XXwHTmtjCxQVa5 it runs and idles just not really drive-able I think I need to pull some fuel for sure but I am still learning feel free to let me know what you thin

I will get back to tuning and data logging soon the whole return fuel line split in 2 places.

But please let me know what would help to post or share I appreciate every bit of input

Great news! I got it started and running yesterday

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R1LRLoqLFOE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bad news is after running for around 15 mins it just shut off, then when I went to start it it sounds like the starter is bad so I could not get it restarted. I will get a video of that later but it sounds weird.

Is it possible for a starter to go bad and cause the car to shut off? Like draw enough current to starve all the other components and shut off the car even through it is not engaged?

The car still turns over fine but a hand ratchet so I am kinda stumped. I will replace the starter and go from there but just is really strange. I swear I am usually got at cars

Well it for sure seems like its the starter between the smoke and the grinding I think I am right need to pull it and confirm

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LKhOC6_zv1Q" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At the end there is some smoke, I checked all the wires nothing is melted or hot so I am assuming is the starter

Anyone know why a starter that has maybe 30-40 starts on it would go bad so fast?

Based on the timing belt movement, I’d also suspect the starter. Looks like it is moving very slowly.

Where did you get the starter? Maybe it is just a bad unit?

Based on the timing belt movement, I?d also suspect the starter. Looks like it is moving very slowly.

Where did you get the starter? Maybe it is just a bad unit?

Bought it on Amazon, it has a warranty but its a crap warranty, luckily there is a fresh redblock drop off at the junkyard which I will rob the starter off of.

Also if anyone needs anything off a 1990 744 with a b230ft let me know

Test fitting the back flares I think they look pretty good might need to heat them and bend them a little tighter but I think it looks good this tucked
r1mRLGhl.jpg

VYuERPol.jpg

Made the final cuts rivenutted the fenders and final mounted them I really like the way these cheap flares tuned out. Just waiting on a starter so I can get back to tuning and hopefully driving soon

YRKHOk9l.jpg

ZuiCA8Fl.jpg

HLnnsrml.jpg

V4BwoAdl.jpg

Back