• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New to Volvos. A few questions...

80series

I'm looking at getting a wagon. I like the 240's as well as the 7/9's. Is any one of them better as a light duty offroad/camping vehicle? I understand that they use a lot of the same or similar drivetrain, but are any of them "tougher" or more reliable than the other? Id definitely be looking to install a locker or limited slip to aid in traction. Any insight or helpful links would be great! I have looked at quite a few of the threads of lifted wagons as that is what i'm looking to do. Nothing crazy, just a few inches of lift and a bigger, beefier tire. Thanks in advance!

Reliability is a bit of a wash between the two - they largely have the same drivetrains (with exceptions). And really, while they can be durable (if maintained at least half-assedly), reliability isn't really great compared to more utilitarian Japanese competition from the same time period.

The 240 is a little tougher, though. A more solid rear suspension, a bit less fiddly front suspension.

And even though this is a Volvo board, and there are 3 Volvo's parked at my house (two of mine, one of my son's) we also have 2 third gen 4Runners. The 4Runners are ridiculously reliable, and even more durable than a Volvo. And even in bone stock base 2WD versions they're tougher and have more clearance and fit larger tires than a lifted Volvo. And 4WD/manual trans/e-locker axles/lifts/sliders/skids/bumpers/etc/etc are a lot easier to find if you find you like driving off-road and want to be able to go down more difficult trails.

80-20160708_155546_hdr_zpsna6ha7ww_cd5606e726cee2787aa279665af9b5519f9dd435.jpg

Volvo's are good at some things, real body-on-frame SUV's are good at other things.

JohnMc is right. 240 are vastly superior to 7/9 series, especially in suspension and braking. As with any older vehicle, it's best to find a clean and well maintained example as a starting point. Best of luck offroading and make sure to post up some flexing pics with rockers getting scraped!

JohnMc is right. 240 are vastly superior to 7/9 series, especially in suspension and braking. 245 would be optimal, and find the cleanest example you can find as a starting point. Best of luck offroading!

:nono:

Better that he crushes a 7-9 when he gets it up on HF jack stands, rips it all apart and runs out of money.

:nono:

Better that he crushes a 7-9 when he gets it up on HF jack stands, rips it all apart and runs out of money.

This has been debated for some time now. 240s are much better cars and make better candidates for drifting, offroading and LS swaps. As I said, find the nicest car to begin with so you can avoid headaches down the road.

This has been debated for some time now. 240s are much better cars and make better candidates for drifting, offroading and LS swaps. As I said, find the nicest car to begin with so you can avoid headaches down the road.

Ya but implovo and propav8tor already crushed all the 245's in the Carolinas so a 7-9 wagon will have to do.

Ya but implovo and propav8tor already crushed all the 245's in the Carolinas so a 7-9 wagon will have to do.

Ah, that shouldn't stop him. There are plenty of nice 245s left out there. It's only the creampuff garage queen m47 245s that are expensive. A nice car is worth the drive.

Ya but the 7-9 cargo bay is w i d e r, better for sleeping with fat chicks.

I get the feeling you're not taking this thread seriously. Might have to report things since this isn't Off Topic.

OP. I've owned both 2 and 7/9 series wagons and have camped quite a few nights in my old 88 245. 240s have a bit more room length wise with the seats down and are taller too. I definitely recommend a 240 over a 7/9 if you have any interest camping out of it. 240 interiors hold up to abuse and messes much better too.

Dead serious!

This is the land of TB after all, and he can get a dirt cheap 7-9 much more easily than a 245 nowadays.

Many more 240s were sold than 7/9 series cars because ultimately, 240s are much better cars to begin with. This is especially true if you're looking for something to lift and take off road.

Many more 240s were sold than 7/9 series cars because ultimately, 240s are much better cars to begin with. This is especially true if you're looking for something to lift and take off road.

Probably a trade-off ,the 7-9 has a longer wheelbase and is more prone to high centering but the bigger wheel wells may indeed offset that.

On the other hand the narrower track of the 245 may indeed be better for goat trails....

And cheap, did I mention CHEAP?

The 7-9's are so ugly they're practically sale-proof so all you gotta do is lowball the living $hit out of the PO and wait for them to come crawling back for whatever paltry sum you're offering.

*TRUTH*

Back